Thread: Bryon Yasui and the 'ukulele

Default Bryon Yasui and the 'ukulele

Some of you might find this article about our island boy Bryon Yasui and the 'ukulele an interesting read. I love that he refers to the instrument in the Hawaiian style, "uku" rather than uke...

http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/uk...UVPVWGG1QVlYaw

Byron is a master musician with an incredible range of talents and is a really generous and good guy. Great article.

This is a great article that I just couldn't stop reading when my print copy of Ukulele Magazine arrived the other day. What amazed me is I would be coming close to the end of a page only to find that flipped to the next one there was a whole other area in which Byron was involved!

Near the end of the article, there is a reference to something he wrote called "The ‘Ukulele Music Reader" to help teach reading sheet music to ukulele players. I would love to know more but I have not been able to dig anything up. Does anyone have any more information?
    Ukes include (but are not limited to)
    • Blackbird Clara
    • Kamaka HF-2A (Koa Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (Acacia Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (Spruce Top Concert)

It's available as a custom book through the bookstore of the University of Hawai'i at Manoa

It's a required textbook for the following class: https://www.sis.hawaii.edu/uhdad/ava...201930&c=82992

Hope that helps!
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thread Information