Honduran Rosewood - Adirondack Spruce Tenor - Picture Set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Very old Honduran Rosewood from my private stock with an Adirondack Spruce soundboard and Australian Blackwood bindings.

Inlays are faux ivory with scrimshaw shading. Gotoh UPT 4:1 machine heads. Ebony fret board with a 12" - 16" compound radius.

Finished in high gloss polyurethane.

Honduran Rosewood-Andirondack Tenor - 1.jpgHonduran Rosewood-Andirondack Tenor - 4.jpgHonduran Rosewood-Andirondack Tenor - 8.jpgHonduran Rosewood-Andirondack Tenor - 14.jpgHonduran Rosewood-Andirondack Tenor - 17.jpg

As always it's a beautiful instrument and despite its lack of logo clearly identifiable as one of yours. I have many lilies in my garden so I appreciate the inlay work; I assume this is a commission piece for someone who loves these flowers.

I notice that you haven't done your usual 2 piece bridge on this uke (in fact this bridge seems quite small). Also I see that you've used a wound C and low G and it doesn't appear that any compensation was necessary on the saddle.

Is it the case that the use of wound strings eliminate the need for compensation? I'm guessing that the reason for their use is that many players think an instrument with 1 or 2 wound strings sounds better?

No, this build is something I wanted to do when I had the opportunity to explore ideas and techniques. It's available for purchase on my website.

There is compensation to the saddle from G-e. Just can't see it from the angle and lighting in that photo.

I was recommended these strings from a client and put them on his commission.....and well I was really impressed with the sound and feel. They would be the nicest wound set (actually you buy the strings individually) that I've heard.

I've switched to this bridge design a few months back and have used it on about 6 instruments now. It's actually 10mm wider than the precvious bridge, but the new design is lighter than previously. It's also heaps easier to make and glue on because it doesn't have those tight angles of the previous design.

Beautiful instrument

That is indeed stunning. May I ask which strings you used?

This is a custom built set of individual strings using Tomastick Infeld and Savarez Alliance.
Thanks. TI CF30 and CF27, and Alliance 541R and 542R? Just curious because that's a combination Brian Griffin likes.

Top Bottom