1969 gold label Kamaka Tiki concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have for sale the elusive 1969 gold label Kamaka Tiki concert.

I don't see a date stamped (faded?), but Kamaka only made the Tiki for a couple of years, and the gold label Tiki was only made in 1969, just before Kamaka switched to white label.

No cracks, lots of nice subtle curl in a one piece golden koa front, plainer back with shirt button scratches. There is mild fret wear. It has a recent pro set up (St. Paul Guitar) with low action all the way up the fretboard and Freemont fluorocarbons.
Volume is big and tone is dream like. This uke is feather light and has that wonderful slender handcarved neck and heel.

I'd sell this one in an older (Kala?) hard tweed case for $900 plus shipping. ($50 more if you prefer the $80 Crossrock 800 case it's currently in.) Or, reduced shipping with no case and lots of bubble wrap.

Price is firm. These are rare and highly collectible - I think I have it priced right:
One with three big soundboard cracks sold on Ebay on 12/7/18 for $799. (Search "Tiki Kamaka Koa Ukulele".
A gal on FMM has a minty white label Tiki listed right now at $1600.

20190101_164207.jpg
20190101_163251.jpg
20190101_163710.jpg
20190101_163659.jpg
20190101_162705.jpg

Last edited:
More pics.
The back is quite dark and different, esp in certain light.
I've entertained the thought that it might be monkey wood or another? Maybe someone here knows.

[EDIT 4/19/19: Per Kamaka, this is all koa, see Lono's later post on this thread.]

20190101_162636.jpg
20190101_162700.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thx. Lots of correspondence and photos with Lono actually instigated this sale.
S/he wants a prettier back. I wonder if Kamaka made them with flamey backs backs in 1969?

Good to know; I remembered seeing a “looking for” post recently.

It’s a very pretty uke, as is. I’m sure some extra curl/flame is worth seeking out, but as you point out it is hard to know how many are still around at all.

Best of luck with the sale!

Thx, Teri.
I am a miserable photographer and this one is prettier in person...
Jon thinks I need better lighting!

These photos really are not that bad!! :) Lighting always helps with photography though. I used to pretend to take pictures before I pretended to play the ukulele. ;)

No opinion from this opinionated community about whether the back is koa (maybe it's just not quartersawn?)?

Seems weird they would use such contrasting wood, but the top and sides are gorgeous. (not that the back is bad)

I was considering buying this Tiki and sent a picture of the back to Kamaka. Tekla at Kamaka sent me an email that it is koa.

I was considering buying this Tiki and sent a picture of the back to Kamaka. Tekla at Kamaka sent me an email that it is koa.

Thank you Paul!!

Mystery solved: the back is just dark koa, prob a different different cut.

I don't mind the back, or the fact that it's darker than the front, in person. Has this vintage handmade feel that is missing with many production ukes.
The top is subtly flamed throughout and gorgeous, understated with a satin finish I really prefer to glassy/gloss.

Love this uke but could use the money... and it's my most valuable one after selling a couple of other high end ones. Sigh.

Last edited:
It's All Good

Just a note to all interested parties. I visited Tracie and bought the Tiki uke. It is in good condition with some scratches and dings that are normal for a uke of this vintage. The intonation and action are fantastic and the golden tone is aged perfection. I'm a player and was looking for a Kamaka with the tone from back when their ukes were lightweight and bursting with joy. I have added some photos that show the uke back in better lighting. It is a one piece slice of koa that curves over the frame with an almost driftwood style of grain. The front is also one piece. They don't make em like this anymore. Thanks Tracie for your kind hospitality and wealth of information. -Jim

20190427_092011.jpg20190427_093103-01.jpg20190427_093816.jpg20190427_093324.jpg20190427_091828.jpg

Last edited:
Awww, thanks Jim!
"Bursting with joy" is apt description of this one. So glad it will be played.

It's a thrill for me to sell to (and meet) someone in town who is a real player and a great singer! We had a lot to talk about. I will miss this uke, but this way I get to see her again!
To the Meteor Boys a la Tiki!

Oh, and me thinks your great pics would have sold this uke faster. It just took some good light... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom