Your most unique or unusual wood use?

Wow! Beau. Wow!

Congratulations Beau. That is pretty darn cool... (I'm sure we are all thinking: Can't crack the sides, can't crack the sides, can't crack the sides.... )

When do we get to see the finished uke!! Awesome!!
So back in April I kinda answered this question but couldn't reveal the details- well now i CAn.
This wood is called Paulownia, aka The Empress Tree- which has the highest strength/weight ratio of any wood. It is used extensively in Japan to create Kotos, a Japanese stringed instrument.

Earlier this year, Former US President Jimmy Carter asked Fretboard Journal writer and luthier Todd Lunneborg to ask a select group of luthiers to take part in building an instrument using wood planted by President Carter 20 years ago on his grounds in Plains, Georgia.

The nucleus of the project is to bring awareness and highlight the benefits of sustainable and fast growing wood in a variety of fields.

All the instruments and furniture built will be auctioned off in (i think) November this year and the proceeds go to the Carter Foundation to help with humanitarian aid. President Carter is a woodworker who built a cabinet from this same grove of Paulownia which alone raised $230,000!

I am extremely proud to be a part of this project :)

View attachment 119897
View attachment 119898
View attachment 119900
View attachment 119901
View attachment 119899

Planting
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/30/...eautiful-tree-that-shows-a-sinister-side.html

Cutting
https://worldtree.info/jimmycarter/

Other
https://worldpaulownia.com/carter-center-auction/

So back in April I kinda answered this question but couldn't reveal the details- well now i CAn.
This wood is called Paulownia, aka The Empress Tree- which has the highest strength/weight ratio of any wood. It is used extensively in Japan to create Kotos, a Japanese stringed instrument.

Earlier this year, Former US President Jimmy Carter asked Fretboard Journal writer and luthier Todd Lunneborg to ask a select group of luthiers to take part in building an instrument using wood planted by President Carter 20 years ago on his grounds in Plains, Georgia.

The nucleus of the project is to bring awareness and highlight the benefits of sustainable and fast growing wood in a variety of fields.

All the instruments and furniture built will be auctioned off in (i think) November this year and the proceeds go to the Carter Foundation to help with humanitarian aid. President Carter is a woodworker who built a cabinet from this same grove of Paulownia which alone raised $230,000!

I am extremely proud to be a part of this project :)
You've been involved in some amazing projects. First the Luthiers for a Cause project, and now this. Congratulations.

I see Paulownia all over the place in our woods. I know where there is one very large Paulownia, but it's in a state park. I've never used the wood for anything. Interesting.

That's great Beau. Ever consider making the top paulownia too? I know that Tony Yamamoto has had great reviews with paulownia topped guitars.

That's great Beau. Ever consider making the top paulownia too? I know that Tony Yamamoto has had great reviews with paulownia topped guitars.

I want this to be as good as all my other ukes (and guitars- im making one of each) so i dont want o mess with the top so im sticking with sitka. THe uke neck will be made from Paulownia though.
IMG_1960.jpg

Top Bottom