Gretsch NYC camp ukulele restoration

frianm

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I need help -
I have acquired an old camp ukulele and I will be doing some refinishing and probably stripping as the body is bare wood and someone has attacked the neck.
My first goal is to separate the neck from the body as it is loose. I could try and put glue into the crack but prefer to remove and then replace if possible. Has anyone done this? If so please let me know how to do this without damaging anything.

Thanks - Ian

Good news - the neck is off with the judicious use of a razor blade and modest pressure. It will go back with hide glue.
Meanwhile as the body is stripped of paint and the neck also except for the headstock, I intend to strip the paint on the fingerboard as not only are the two coats of original paint there, and cracked, but someone tries to varnish the whole thing. I am trying to decide how to finish the instrument Color or plain wood?

Before and after

IMG_0759.jpgIMG_2961.jpgView attachment 117430IMG_1208.jpg
IMG_5139.jpg

I have finished returning this old uke to playability. It was not pretty when I bought it and now it is far removed from its original form. I am thrilled by it though and I love the Graph Tech tune-a-leles that are sort of funky to look at and a real joy to use. The neck was a painted over disaster with cracks in the original, had been filled, and cracked again. It was a cheap instrument in the 1920s! I have never liked painted necks!

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 37
The sound hole and saddle look to be way off center. Am I seeing things? Maybe it's the camera angle.

You are correct - it is asymmetrical so say the least! However it plays and is fun.

It was supposed to be that way by design. Emphasizes the lower upper midtones. :rolleyes: Nice restoration by the way. Obviously some kid decided they needed to paint the fretboard. And right over the frets too!

I have seen a few painted fretboards in South America. In this case the fretboard was painted by Gretsch but someone decided to overpaint it and in effect level the frets with the buildup. It just took scraping with a razor blade and some mild heat to remove the layers. Thanks for the encouragement, it makes a difference.

Top Bottom