Force new members to read FAQ before posting

I am a big fan of the search button, but I have to say there is something better about getting someone's opinion right there and then and not having to search for ages on it. For a start it's much more personal, how on earth will anyone here ever make friends if all they do is search?

There are newbies constantly asking about iamhawaii for example, I could just say SEARCH but I find it more pleasant to help them, write a line and say welcome. Sure it can be annoying if you have to do it a few times a day but it's a better way to make friends I think.

All right, I will play the bad guy here -- even though I am a girl --

I politely remind all you "oldies" that you don't have to read the thread. It is not mandatory to read them all. If the newbs are like me, sometimes just posting is all the skill they have. I know, I use Worth clears and they are the only stringz I need, but sometimes new players just need a bit of massaging. Be nice to them and soon they will be posting the same complaint.

I am done now...:D

I'm with you - and I'm usually the surly one.

Few things piss me off more than the "use the search button, up there" replies to a new member.

N00bs can be annoying sure, but c'mon, how hard is it to be polite and answer the question BEFORE suggesting the search button.

It's like inviting someone into your home and then mocking them when they ask where the bathroom is. Just rude.

I'm all for teaching someone to fish for themselves, but I'm also for making this joint welcoming. If that means I have to answer one or two repetitive questions a day, I consider it a tax well spent.

Every time we answer the "E-chord" question for example, there are other new folks who jump on and say "me too", or "thanks!" - that means the repetitive answer helped... despite being a PITA for us and having to be answered twice a week.

As for forcing a FAQ read - I like the concept, but think it just throws another "not welcome" sign at the door.

If n00b questions and non-search users bug you, just stay out of the thread. As annoying as repetitive questions are - they serve a valid purpose and are just part of the community process.

Last edited:
Netiquette goes both ways. Yes, it is impolite to rudely tell someone to use the search function. But let's not forget that it is also impolite to post a question on a forum without having searched for it first.

This has been the case for ages, going back to the pre-Web, USENET days, where you were expected to read the regularly-posted FAQ, newbie or not. It's a sign of respect for the community when you try to find out things on your own before you take up the time of the members.

Bottom line: Asking a question that has been asked a thousand times is rude. But, on the net as in the real world, there's a right and a wrong way to call someone's attention to their breach of etiquette. It should come in the spirit of friendliness and helpfulness, not nastiness.

JJ

Just remember that everyone was a noob at one time. If you don't want to read a thread don't it's you choice. Hang loose and be happy everybody it's UU. :confused:

I don't think to force is a good idea but if they don't read the FAQ then thats there fault.

I just started a thread that had been done just a week ago....and I even posted in the original one, so mistakes do happen, or maybe senile is creeping in:(

What day of the week is it?, where am I?:eek:

It's Monday around noon here, but probably not for you!

Questions get asked. It's really not that big a deal unless somebody makes it that way.

A lot of other forums have tried this before. Never seen it cut down on the number of clone threads, though (even when there's a quiz involved).

If it drives you crazy, just ignore the post. Either someone else will answer the guy's question or the poster will give up and use the Search button.

I just started a thread that had been done just a week ago....and I even posted in the original one, so mistakes do happen, or maybe senile is creeping in:(

What day of the week is it?, where am I?:eek:

Grandpa what are you doing up at this hour...go back to sleep :p

Top Bottom