Banjo-Uke Strings

DymnDog

Reaction score
Happy Friday!

I found a used (but basically new) customized Deering Goodtime. It was made by a guy when he worked at the factory and he made the body and neck for himself out of a knurled walnut with a beautiful dark red color. I don't think he actually played it much. I've been enjoying it, but I'm wondering about the stock strings that came with it (I'm assuming they are stock strings since this guy wasn't really a player). I don't know what they are, but something tells me I might enjoy it more with different strings.

I don't know strings very much...let alone banjo-uke strings. I didn't see anything in this section about Banjo-Uke strings specifically. So I was writing to ask for any string advice or recommendations for a Deering Goodtime?

Thank you!

When I had a Deering banjo-uke I used Aquila NylGut strings on it. That 11-inch drum (if keot properly tightended/tuned) can make any type of string sound good.

Aquila are always good, recently i have been using Worth browns, which i find excellent.

I use Aquila nylgut banjo uke strings. Can't find'em, use tenor with low g.

Thank you all for the advice. I got a set of Aquila stings and they are settling in. I also downloaded the Deering Manual from their web page and learned about adjusting the bridge placement to the harmonics of the strings.. that REALLY made a difference in sound. I always wondered how to know where to put a bridge that slides around so easily.

Since I live less than 10 miles from the Deering factory, I'm going over for a tour soon.

Deering Banjolele.jpg

Color me impressed.

Once you get the bridge set, mark the spot with a pencil, it helps in case the bridge slips.

Top Bottom