Capo use

Should, but you're better off with a smaller uke-specific or banjo capo. All that extra mass tends to get in the way when playing.

if you have a baritone with a fairly wide neck, you will need a guitar capo. My G7 perf.2 uke/banjo capo can only go up a few frets before falling short. Don’t get a classical guitar one, as they are really long. Get a regular guitar capo. I have the G7 perf.2 reg. guitar capo for my bari. I use my G7 perf2 uke/ banjo capo only for my small ukes and occas. my mandolin.

but as Brad said u do wan tto get the capo that is the smallest you need to do the job. Someone in my uke group got a ginormous Thalia capo for his little concert uke and it was ridiculously obtrusive. But on the otherhand I had a fairly wide neck Creedy bari uke and the e string (dgbe) would slip out of a uke capo if you went above fret2

Capo is very much related to string tension. I set my acoustic guitar in very low tension. I have very good capo but it is too strong for my acoustic guitar. All of the strings go sharp. It is ok because every string goes equally sharp. But low tension capo or tension adjustable capo should be better. Guitar capo works on your baritone uku. But ukulele capo might be better. Just try it out in local shop.

Capos basically suck on ukulele. Ukes have only 4 strings guys and girls!

Capos work great in guitars though without being a crutch in there.

I would laugh too to see someone put that thalia capo on ukulele neck bunnyf, it being also on a guitar neck a somewhat a laugh with its size just in my opinion.

My adjustable cramping Shubb guitar capo is also a bad idea. Great on guitar, heavy on ukulele.

Last edited:
Capos don't suck on a uke if using a good quality capo. The side clamp kind, G7, Shubb etc. don't press the strings down evenly causing the uke to be out of tune. A yoke type with a screw on the bottom to tighten doesn't seem to put mine out of tune.

I use an Elliot type capo called a Showcase made by Bill Stokes. He custom makes them for each order. They are expensive. But considering how those, who buy capos, usually end buy numerous ones to find the right fit; it's a good bargain. Mine has a very small profile and extremely light weight. Wish I had found these years ago. Once you've used an Elliot or Showcase capo, you won't be laughing so loud.

Last edited:
My post was not about intonation. Yes those spring clamping capos like the popular Kyser have no control of that.

It was I sometimes watch on youtube some videos, and I might be wrong, but was it a Guitar Sage? Telling how good a thalia capo is. Guys getting payed and never know what is honest or less.

Elliot capo seems another fad too, and they are expensive.

My post mainly was: capos are not that much in need with ukes, we just need learn more chords to finger :)

BS Elliot capos are a fad. That style has been around since the 20's if not earlier. Elliots and Showcase since the early 60's. They're expensive because they are custom made with high quality materials. Much like a custom uke. Have you ever tried one?

Capos are advantageous for adding color to a sound, especially when playing with others. Capos are a great tool. Like any tool, if you don't know how to use one effectively, they aren't so great.

For the way you elect to play, this may be true, though given the number of artificial limitations you impose on yourself (as you've made well known on this forum), it's ironic for you to disdain other people for using crutches, and your myopic approach to playing hardly puts you in a good position to judge what other people "just need."

Learning more chord shapes (particularly movable ones) is not a complete solution, and even when it suffices, why should people choose this route, which may be unnecessarily harder? There are a number of playing styles and situations in which a capo is the perfect tool on ukes—including just making a key easier to play in with more basic chord shapes (its most common application on guitars, despite that one can "learn more chords" there, too). The pitches available on the open strings are often quite important to stylistic patterns and the fluidity and ease of play. The attitudes of snoots are irrelevant.

Your attacks on me just never ends, from day 1 I maybe posted my first post in this forum, and still the negativity continues?

BTW what is with the message deleting? So you would not sound as negative as in the posts that stay for people too read? That is why I put a quote too on your post, cause otherwise posting other readers find crazy. Now they see you.

Perhaps you tried contribute also on this thread, but without a personal attack is better, right?

OP asked if a guitar capo would WORK on a baritone ukulele. The advisability of using a capo on an ukulele is an oft brought up and never resolved issue. Personal choice to use or not use this tool.

Hi, Jarmo! Thank you very much your posts. I always respect your sharing experience, thought full posts and good information. Just put ubulele in your ignore list. Then you don't need to read her posts. She wants to your reply. Because she wants to talk to you. I put ubulele and camsuke in my ignore list. Then they've stopped attack me. Don't reply her and keep posting. In this site, buduuhuu has given up moderation.

Last edited:
OP asked if a guitar capo would WORK on a baritone ukulele. The advisability of using a capo on an ukulele is an oft brought up and never resolved issue. Personal choice to use or not use this tool.

Usually won't work because of the differences in neck dimensions.

My post was not about intonation. Yes those spring clamping capos like the popular Kyser have no control of that.

It was I sometimes watch on youtube some videos, and I might be wrong, but was it a Guitar Sage? Telling how good a thalia capo is. Guys getting payed and never know what is honest or less.

Elliot capo seems another fad too, and they are expensive.

My post mainly was: capos are not that much in need with ukes, we just need learn more chords to finger :)

For the way you elect to play, this may be true, though given the number of artificial limitations you impose on yourself (as you've made well known on this forum), it's ironic for you to disdain other people for using crutches, and your myopic approach to playing hardly puts you in a good position to judge what other people "just need."

Learning more chord shapes (particularly movable ones) is not a complete solution, and even when it suffices, why should people choose this route, which may be unnecessarily harder? There are a number of playing styles and situations in which a capo is the perfect tool on ukes—including just making a key easier to play in with more basic chord shapes (its most common application on guitars, despite that one can "learn more chords" there, too). The pitches available on the open strings are often quite important to stylistic patterns and the fluidity and ease of play. The attitudes of snoots are irrelevant.

Your attacks on me just never ends, from day 1 I maybe posted my first post in this forum, and still the negativity continues?

BTW what is with the message deleting? So you would not sound as negative as in the posts that stay for people too read? That is why I put a quote too on your post, cause otherwise posting other readers find crazy. Now they see you.

Perhaps you tried contribute also on this thread, but without a personal attack is better, right?

Your attacks on other people and your misinformation never end. Don't blame the messenger.

Hugs I want give when I have been bad baby.

You two are fun. This whole back and forth brought a smile to my face. :) The only reason I posted this was to preserve it before it got deleted so that I can go back and read it over again.

Sticking to the question. I'm not a fan of the capo, but my experience with it is limited. Being a baritone is closer to a guitar, maybe it would work fine. Why ask? You can buy capos cheap, just buy one and try it for yourself. Heck, put a pencil across the fret and double a rubber band behind the neck until it is tight and see if it has potential. Then go from there. You are going to learn a lot more from experimentation and discovering the answers yourself than you are by listening to a bunch of opinionated people arguing about it.

Last edited:
I love playing my baritone. The rich sound adds another dimension. Most of the songs I play on it are fingerstyle.

A capo in my baritone case is handy for playing music with others. (I still have a lag in my brain from uke to baritone chords.) I think it sounds thinner with a capo than a tenor/concert/soprano, but perfectly fine for what I need.

Last edited:

Because shopping is much harder than playing ukulele or guitar.

I bought a capo for my guitar two weeks ago. I know capo very well, because I use capo since I was in high school. There were so many capos in a local shop and all of them have samples for try. Shop man said A (see the photo below) may be better than B, because audience doesn't see the grip when we play. I often leave my guitars on the floor. Therefore type A is not good for me and I've bought B. I thought I was very clever. But the point was not there. These type of capo was too tight for my acoustic guitar. $7 cheapo (C) is better than $30 one. Now a days, we have so many selections in local shops and in the internet. I have experience, I've tried out in the shop but still bought wrong one for me.

Because shopping is much harder than playing ukulele or guitar.

I bought a capo for my guitar two weeks ago. I know capo very well, because I use capo since I was in high school. There were so many capos in a local shop and all of them have samples for try. Shop man said A (see the photo below) may be better than B, because audience doesn't see the grip when we play. I often leave my guitars on the floor. Therefore type A is not good for me and I've bought B. I thought I was very clever. But the point was not there. These type of capo was too tight for my acoustic guitar. $7 cheapo (C) is better than $30 one. Now a days, we have so many selections in local shops and in the internet. I have experience, I've tried out in the shop but still bought wrong one for me.

The G7 and Shubb capos are good for a guitar. That Elliot one too except it is ridiculously expensive and there are alternatives on that same principle. Main thing is a capo should be adjustable in clamping unlike that highly advertised Thalia one.
Baz i think made a video about ukulele light capo recommendation. Among many :)

Here's the Showcase capo made by Bill Stokes. Elliot Capos are very similar. Custom made. They're expensive but you'll never need to buy another.Pictured with C's on fretboard is the comparrison of a G7 and the uke Showcase capo. Other photo is of the G7, Showcase uke and guitar capo.

The beauty of a well made yoke type capo is the pressure is evenly distributed when clamping down. Usually doesn't require retuning. While the side type, like the G7, are side clamped which distributes the pressure unevenly making it necessary to retune with it on and retune after taking it off.

These are like fine pieces of jewelery they are so lightweight and small. No interference when playing. The cheaper ones may be similar in design but nowhere near the quality. Considering most of us buying cheaper capos is we end up buying several, or more, trying to find one that works. These are initially expensive but ya only need to buy one to last a lifetime.

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I use the G7 performance reg. guitar capo on my Pono bari and it doesn’t give me a problem with uneven pressure or throwing my uke out of tune. Works fine. In some people’s hands perhaps their experience is different. I can see where maybe placement technique like location and amount of squeezing pressure might give some folks a problem but I haven’t experienced that. My next will probably be the Elliot style. It certainly will be more optimum for even pressure and I love how you can just roll it up to behind the nut…super convenient. I wish I knew about them before I bought a G7 performance, a liitle uke one for sop. uke and larger guitar one for bari and acoustic guitar. (oh and a classical guitar capo, by accident…huge).

Top Bottom