Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Capo use

This is why I went with the Showcase Elliot style capos for my guitars and ukes. Thin, lightweight, yoke style that eliminates having to retune after putting or taking the capo off. They are expensive, around125.00 but considering all the capos in my "not right" drawer, pretty cheap. They are custom made for your instrument and come with a registration number. Bill Stokes is a well known banjo player who helped develop the Mckinney/Elliot capos. He also makes the pre '41 finger picks made out of German nickel silver like they did pre-war II.

They are a pleasure to use and love the never needing to retune after each use. In the photo of the top, the one on top is a Stokes capo and bottom is the G7 capo. In next photo, G7 on left, uke in the middle and guitar far right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 06-26-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Patrick. Without your post, Showcase Elliot style capo is out of my choice. It looks very nice to me, and $125 is not too expensive if we practice a song for a while. Now I am practicing a song with a cap and a strap on my guitar in standing posture. My left shoulder is bit tired. :-))

You can definitely use a guitar capo on a uke, but I would recommend getting either a partial guitar capo that is shorter or one of those capos that you can tighten the tension manually with thumb screw. Sometimes a standard guitar capo can press on the strings a little to hard and your tuning/intone goes out. Just my experience. Test it out for yourself. A guitar capo should work fine.
    My Ukes:
    Kala KA-EBY-T Ebony Tenor
    Kala KA-PWC Pacific Walnut Concert

"There’s no ego when you’re a ukulele player." – Jake Shimabukuro

"It depends" . . . only trick is that most guitar necks are radiused and most bari necks aren't.

If you have one on-hand it won't hurt to try.

I use a capo to preserve open voiceings when it's important. Two data points:

In "Say that You Love Me", Fleetwood is playing capo 2 on Electric for the key of A (G voicings).

In "Lyin' Eyes" the two acoustics are playing in G with cowboy voicings, and with D-shapes capo'd 5.

Yep, guitar players even use capos in "Easy" keys...
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Thread Information