Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Capo use

I use the G7 performance reg. guitar capo on my Pono bari and it doesn’t give me a problem with uneven pressure or throwing my uke out of tune. Works fine. In some people’s hands perhaps their experience is different. I can see where maybe placement technique like location and amount of squeezing pressure might give some folks a problem but I haven’t experienced that. My next will probably be the Elliot style. It certainly will be more optimum for even pressure and I love how you can just roll it up to behind the nut…super convenient. I wish I knew about them before I bought a G7 performance, a liitle uke one for sop. uke and larger guitar one for bari and acoustic guitar. (oh and a classical guitar capo, by accident…huge).

I played guitar with a friend of mine yesterday in the back yard of library. I were chatting about guitar capo on ukulele. He asked me if I tried to tune my ukulele with capo. I did not yet.

This soprano is very low tension with a fine fish line on the first string. But I can easily tune with strong grip guitar capo. It may because the neck is smaller than guitar. The capo is not too tight.

But this capo is very heavy for soprano. Weight is also an important point for ukulele capo. I still do not recommend guitar capo on ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    ...But this capo is very heavy for soprano. Weight is also an important point for ukulele capo. I still do not recommend guitar capo on ukulele.
    OP asked about a baritone.

Hi, bunnyf!

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    OP asked about a baritone.
    I recommend guitar capo. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Does everyone use a capo? Do I need to buy one?
    No, a lot of people don't use them.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

To use or not use is a personal choice. A capo is a very useful tool. Many people have hand problems as I do - there is no cure for old age. I use capo when playing in the key of F or B and sometimes the key of Bb. Without a capo it would be impossible. I play a Kala Baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    To use or not use is a personal choice. A capo is a very useful tool. Many people have hand problems as I do - there is no cure for old age. I use capo when playing in the key of F or B and sometimes the key of Bb. Without a capo it would be impossible. I play a Kala Baritone.
    I am so with you.

We can never know how long we can play without one anyways.

There is a person in this forum who constantly comes telling me that I am limited and whatever when I once told of preferring open chords and easy strumming, instead fingerpicking that my nails can't do. My fingers are also a somewhat weak and everyday I have to practise to keep the strength in them. So they could never anyways have his/her moving chord theories in praxis.

And I do worry also about how long I'm able to have my finger knuckles ok without some some rheumatism or wear that even younger people pick.

So yes, lets keep that arrogance that some guitar forum I have visited and seen away from here and enjoy the music, best we can produce. Of course we can always listen when we can't ourselves much play anymore

I'm not a big fan of capos. I do use them occasionally when I play with my church band. I'll get my music the Sunday before, and glance at the chords, then spy the Capo 1, 2, or 3 notation at the top of the music sheet & grumble. I try to transpose first and see how that works. I'll use a capo if I don't like the transposing options. My big problem is that I need a capo that can go on & off in a flash. On for one song, off for the next, with only a 10 - 20 second break between songs. I've tried a bunch of them, and keep coming back to the Kyser uke capo. It's intrusive, but it goes on & off quick. I like the G7th Ultra Lite uke capo as far as comfort & being less intrusive.

One capo story ...... the guitar players at church use their capos constantly. One of them is relatively new to guitar & it gives her choices in easier chord shapes. She plays a Taylor GS Mini. One Sunday, she had forgotten her capo & was very bummed. I always have one in my bag. My Kyser uke capo worked on her GS Mini, just barely, but it worked. So, as much as I dislike using one, I always have one handy.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

My feeling about capos on ukuleles is that I like to always have one and rarely use one. It’s an annoyance on such a short scale instrument and certainly gets in the way with some first position chords. On the mando (also short scale), I would usually just transpose on the fly (easier to do because of its fifths tuning) and almost never break out a capo (but I keep one in my case, just because). On guitar, I often capo. I run a local jam and will often need to capo to put a song that someone wants to play into a key that I can sing, if they don’t want to lead the song and it falls on me. I see the grimaces on the faces of ukers and I understand their dilemma. It’s often just one whole step up (capo2), so I encourage them to just move up one letter in their head (not hard to work out on the spot).

Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I can sing in three or four different keys, but if I use a capo I end up trying to sing to it in a higher octave. If I were playing in the key of G I would get along fine, but if I moved the capo up the neck to turn the G into a C, I'm trying to sing soprano in the key of G. And I'm not a soprano singer. If I try to sing in a lower octave and I'm capoed off way up the neck it just sounds off to me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But it is so much easier for me to sing in the different keys if I transpose and keep the chords lower on the neck, regardless of the key.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information