Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seagull Nylon String Electric Ukulele

Default Seagull Nylon String Electric Ukulele

Hello folks

Has anyone owned/tried the Seagull Nylon Electric Ukulele? It looks interesting

Thanks

K

These aren't my videos and I hope it's OK to post the links. So, here are some videos of the seagull nylon vs steel

https://youtu.be/B5wDHj8MnYI

https://youtu.be/ljbS547iL18

And Got a Ukulele review of the steel version
    https://youtu.be/Na4WpEepL2g

Enjoy
    Last edited by keenonuke; 04-20-2019 at 03:16 AM.

I owned one for a while before selling it.
    Nice Uke - great construction and quality. Very good bang for the buck.

Sorta regrettable sale, but was strapped for cash at the time

I didn't get around to making any musical videos with it per se, but I do play it a bit here to demonstrate my woes of 'incorrect' strap pin placement on ukes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqpN64W0GA

I hate having strap buttons there too. And it's just as irritating on a guitar as well. I'm guessing the button installer only plays cowboy chords on the first 3 or 4 frets...

Wow thanks for the reply. I saw a Ukulele with the strap buttons in that location. I guess if one comes my way with the bottom strap location I will remove it.
    Last edited by keenonuke; 04-21-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Bumping this in the hope of more experiences from someone? I am considering an electric uke, and the Seagull is the only one around the local shops here.

I have tried the steel strung one, but during the about 2x5 minutes I've handled it (unplugged) I didn't really fall in love. I have been playing an acoustic concert with a ~35mm wide nut and didn't find a comfortable home on the Seagull fretboard. Admittedly, I haven't played any steel stringed instrument.

Bazmaz @ Gotaukulele is very picky about narrow nuts, but it surprises me that he found the steel strung Seagull's nut comfortable.

I know the nylon strung version's fretboard is wider, but so are the radia of the strings. I've understood it's 34mm (although the manufacturer itself quotes the same width as the steel version on their website, and it has been copied to many retailers' pages too - but the pics make it clear enough they're not the same).

I also gathered from the guys at Hawaiian Music Supply on YouTube that they liked the steel version better, which worries me as well. They said that the nylon version could be helped with better strings though.

On the other hand I Read On The Internet that the nylon version was not planned at first at all, and someone was suspicious as to how much sense it makes to make a nylon version based on the same construction than the steel. Something to do with the tension or whatever.

Quite little experiences found anywhere.

Any thoughts?

My understanding, is that Seagull is a division of the Canadian company Godin Instruments. At least that's what was said on the Godin website.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Jupu View Post
    Bumping this in the hope of more experiences from someone? I am considering an electric uke, and the Seagull is the only one around the local shops here.

I have tried the steel strung one, but during the about 2x5 minutes I've handled it (unplugged) I didn't really fall in love. I have been playing an acoustic concert with a ~35mm wide nut and didn't find a comfortable home on the Seagull fretboard. Admittedly, I haven't played any steel stringed instrument.

Bazmaz @ Gotaukulele is very picky about narrow nuts, but it surprises me that he found the steel strung Seagull's nut comfortable.

I know the nylon strung version's fretboard is wider, but so are the radia of the strings. I've understood it's 34mm (although the manufacturer itself quotes the same width as the steel version on their website, and it has been copied to many retailers' pages too - but the pics make it clear enough they're not the same).

I also gathered from the guys at Hawaiian Music Supply on YouTube that they liked the steel version better, which worries me as well. They said that the nylon version could be helped with better strings though.

On the other hand I Read On The Internet that the nylon version was not planned at first at all, and someone was suspicious as to how much sense it makes to make a nylon version based on the same construction than the steel. Something to do with the tension or whatever.

Quite little experiences found anywhere.

Any thoughts?
    I think you might be overthinking it.

I had the nylon string version.

It's pretty much a normal ukulele, just with a cool "semi-acoustic" design and excellent electronics.
    The acoustic sound is OK, but is quieter than most other ukuleles at its price range.

Yeah, I do like the design, and it feels very nice on the hands.

Overthinking is whay I do when I can't justify my purchases because of too lazy and/or bad playing . Has happened with other hobbies too... But OTOH I realize that hobbies have many dimensions to them.

I have the nylon version. Like other Godin Ukuleles the nylon strings feel soft to the hand. The Fretboard for me is comfortable to play.

I don't play it often which is why I plan to sell it. It is one of about 20 ukuleles.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Thread Information