Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagull Nylon String Electric Ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I think the steel string model would be the most versatile. Although you may need a pick for strumming.
    The steel strings do not usually have problems like thuddy C strings.
    You need to check string availability if you do choose steel strings, if the normal acoustic guitar strings will work there is no problem finding them. If you need special strings, you will have a problem because you will need to change the steel strings more often than the plastic strings.
    Nylon or steel strings between Ukulele and Guitar are always interchangeable.
    You just need to find an appropriate tension.

For a Seagull, based on past experience, you should be able to string it up to GCEA using DGBE strings from a guitar set.
    I would probably stick to an electric guitar set. Acoustic guitar strings might be too much tension.

The Seagulls do come with truss rods to handle tension + adjust for strings.
    Godin would have a list of recommended tensions somewhere too.

I've played many Seagull guitars, and especially like their plain-Jane S6, with solid cedar top, and cherry B&S. Great sound, and very affordable. I wish that Seagull would come out with a tenor uke with these same woods and plain styling, like the S6, with a 1.5" nut. I bet it would be sweet (I love cedar tops), and sell well.

I saw the below pic on a video here today, and thought that's what a Seagull tenor would look like.

20191110_073106.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-10-2019 at 05:29 AM.
    John

^ I've played on quite a few Godin company instruments too...not all were Seagulls but some were...I've never played a bad one. I agree. It would definitely be cool if they came out with an uke styled after one of the simpler guitars.
    I also think it'd be neat if they did one based on the M4 dulcitar...or the mandolins...Lots of options there.

I emailed Seagull with my comments above, and got a response back from Godin support saying they have no plans to make any new models as I suggested, and sent me to the 2 existing thinline models, which I don't like. Too bad.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    ^ I've played on quite a few Godin company instruments too...not all were Seagulls but some were...I've never played a bad one. I agree. It would definitely be cool if they came out with an uke styled after one of the simpler guitars.
    I also think it'd be neat if they did one based on the M4 dulcitar...or the mandolins...Lots of options there.
    A Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin Archtop guitar (acoustic + P90 pickups) will always be fondly remembered as one of the best guitars I had ever owned.
    Sadly sold it. Regretful.

I personally don't mind the soprano scale and I think there's a place for one like that in the market (are there any other (semi-)solid body soprano ukes out there!?) but I do wish the fretboard would be roomy (=wide) enough.

Tell you the truth, I'm not sure what is a good width; that's why I hoped for user reports.

Thread Information