Looking for a solid wood concert uke under 300$

vetcvm

Reaction score
Hi Uke fellows!

I am looking into buying a Concert uke, last year i bought a Pono Tenor and i'm super happy with it, by far the best uke i'v ever owned. i'v never had a really good quality Concert uke though and i feel this might be the time to finally own one. my budget is up to 300$ (will cost me closer to 400$ eventually with international shipping).

Are there any other good options out their other than Pono? i prefer warm mellow sound wood with great sustain, it has to solid wood, any thoughts and recommendations? cheers

Hi,
Kala solid mahogany ukes are pretty darn good, I've owned one for 6+ years. I bought mine with an active pickup, and I have issues with batteries going dead when I forget to remove them after playing, but other than that it's been great.
Ohana Ukuleles may also have what you'd like, and I think Mainland makes a pretty fine solid mahogany concert uke in your price range. MY BFF has played one for over 2 years.
I'd check with MIMs Ukes, Mainland Ukes, or Republic Ukes....they are top notch sellers.
Happy hunting!

I like mahogany, I have 3 different Ohana ukes in solid mahogany, long neck soprano, tenor neck soprano, & tenor neck concert, they have a great tone & good sustain, I'm using fluorocarbon strings, gives a nice ring to them.

UU Marketplace, Fleamarket Marketplace, Reverb.com. I've found that used are usually just as good as new. People take care of their ukes. Even if it has a few marks, so what? Some people prefer the "experienced" look.

What country are you in?

Where are you located, since you will need international shipping?

Thanks! That is a great deal indeed! didn't know Islander had a "solid wood" line at all, i did buy my Pono from them and was very happy with the setup as well so at the moment this is probably the most tempting option!

Another option i was looking into is the concert Mahogany Mainland, does anyone knows how it compares to the Islander?

I am based in Israel by the way, so international shipping adds around 60$ to the price....

Thanks! That is a great deal indeed! didn't know Islander had a "solid wood" line at all, i did buy my Pono from them and was very happy with the setup as well so at the moment this is probably the most tempting option!

Another option i was looking into is the concert Mahogany Mainland, does anyone knows how it compares to the Islander?

I am based in Israel by the way, so international shipping adds around 60$ to the price....

Islander is Kanilea's import line, so it will have the wider 1.5 inch nut and very comfortable neck profile than Kanilea is known for. I have an all laminate Islander soprano that sounds very nice. It has a much mellower tone than many sopranos, so their concert may follow suit in that respect. It's nice to hear the sound sample on HMS. I have no experience with Mainland, but lots of people like them. I think Mainland are gloss finish and that Islander is satin if that matters to you.

I have experience with a solid mahogany Islander tenor and two solid wood Mainland sopranos, including the mahogany classic. Knowing examples from both makers, I would jump on that deal at HMS on the Islander ...

The only reason I sold my Islander was to help raise $1200 for my Kiwaya tenor.
I sold the Mainlands because I didn't like them.
YMMV

Last edited:
Here's another vote for the Islander concert at HMS. Excellent price on it.

I had one briefly and really liked it - the only reason I sold it was that while I was waiting for it to arrive.... I fell into a beautiful Koaloha (old style) that was too good to pass up. I don't need 2 concerts, so I sold the Islander.

Thank you so much everyone for the insight, i just ordered the Islander from HMS, from my experience with them it will probably take a little over a month until i get it but i am in no hurry, i will let you guys know what i think as soon as i get it!

Thank you so much everyone for the insight, i just ordered the Islander from HMS, from my experience with them it will probably take a little over a month until i get it but i am in no hurry, i will let you guys know what i think as soon as i get it!

Good choice! Enjoy it!

Surprising happy update:

they made a mistake with my order and i got a Koaloha Opio concert (acacia) instead! the shop is ok with me keeping it without paying the difference so it looks like i hit a mini jackpot here! the uke has an amazing sound!

Surprising happy update:

they made a mistake with my order and i got a Koaloha Opio concert (acacia) instead! the shop is ok with me keeping it without paying the difference so it looks like i hit a mini jackpot here! the uke has an amazing sound!

What an amazing upgrade. Lucky you!

Surprising happy update:

Jackpot is right, congratulations. I just came upon this thread and was worried about you choicing the Islander. The reason for that was because of the 1-1/2" nut width as opposed to your Ponos 1-3/8". Many people myself included don't do well going from one nut width to a wider one. The Koaloha Opio is an amazing instrument with a killer tone........you done did good.

Wow, that's awesome. What a great "mistake." Enjoy your Opio. I'm partial to KoAlohas myself.

Jackpot is right, congratulations. I just came upon this thread and was worried about you choicing the Islander. The reason for that was because of the 1-1/2" nut width as opposed to your Ponos 1-3/8". Many people myself included don't do well going from one nut width to a wider one. The Koaloha Opio is an amazing instrument with a killer tone........you done did good.

Interestingly (and a bit disappointing to me), I had an Islander tenor and while the nut was 1.5", the string spacing was not particularly wide at 28.7mm.

Top Bottom