Looking for a solid wood concert uke under 300$

Oh! so you're the one!!!!

I ordered an Opio and got an Islander!!!! LOL!

Nice

Oh! so you're the one!!!!

I ordered an Opio and got an Islander!!!! LOL!

Nice

Hey man! they mixed up our labels, i notified them the second i got it but it was apparently too late, they had already sent you my Islander... i hope you'r not too disappointed and hope they compensated you properly!

Hey man! they mixed up our labels, i notified them the second i got it but it was apparently too late, they had already sent you my Islander... i hope you'r not too disappointed and hope they compensated you properly!

What a coincidence!

It was a very happy mistake for you! That has to be exciting but it sounds like their ordering/shipping operations need to get it together.

I had my eye on an all-solid acacia concert ukulele for months and finally decided I'd buy it from Hawaii Music Supply. Shortly before I finally decided to pull the trigger, the maker had changed the binding to a look that I didn't like. I called Andrew at HMS and asked if by chance they had any of the original design in their store. He checked their inventory and they had one left! He sent me pictures of it and I loved it so I bought it. We had been in contact 3-4 times regarding this uke before all was said and done. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get it! When the uke arrived I opened the box and my heart dropped. Even after a phone call and the follow-up emails they had sent me the wrong uke!! I notified Andrew of the error to which he said that he was embarrased and apologized and offered to send the right uke the next day. I was so disgusted and disappointed over the whole thing I said that I'd just return the uke and be done with it. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't expecting the world or anything but I was also a bit disappointed that all they offered to me was to do what they should have done right in the first place. Oh well, I'm sure my experience was an exception and not the rule. :( Maybe it was the universe looking out for me. I ended up buying a different all-solid acacia from a different vendor which I like much more than the one I was going to buy from HMS.

Last edited:
I had an Islander which I returned due to poor quality control and high action. That being said I would trust one from HMS.

I've mainly had good success with used. But one was a stinky winky that sat with dryer sheets to remove the negative fragrance ;-). Another needed the tuner to be tightened otherwise that uke wasn't going to hold a tune. And the third was as it said a B stock but I do enjoy it greatly.

Good luck and enjoy the search.

It was a very happy mistake for you! That has to be exciting but it sounds like their ordering/shipping operations need to get it together.

I had my eye on an all-solid acacia concert ukulele for months and finally decided I'd buy it from Hawaii Music Supply. Shortly before I finally decided to pull the trigger, the maker had changed the binding to a look that I didn't like. I called Andrew at HMS and asked if by chance they had any of the original design in their store. He checked their inventory and they had one left! He sent me pictures of it and I loved it so I bought it. We had been in contact 3-4 times regarding this uke before all was said and done. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get it! When the uke arrived I opened the box and my heart dropped. Even after a phone call and the follow-up emails they had sent me the wrong uke!! I notified Andrew of the error to which he said that he was embarrased and apologized and offered to send the right uke the next day. I was so disgusted and disappointed over the whole thing I said that I'd just return the uke and be done with it. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't expecting the world or anything but I was also a bit disappointed that all they offered to me was to do what they should have done right in the first place. Oh well, I'm sure my experience was an exception and not the rule. :( Maybe it was the universe looking out for me. I ended up buying a different all-solid acacia from a different vendor which I like much more than the one I was going to buy from HMS.

They probably lost a lot of money on that mistake, shipping by air from Hawaii both ways.

They probably lost a lot of money on that mistake, shipping by air from Hawaii both ways.

Maybe but not nearly as much as they lost on selling that solid acacia Opio for the $200 price they were asking for the mahogany Islander they should have sent instead. The Opio was over twice the cost of the Islander! There was another member here who bought and paid for a uke through HMS and was subsequently told that they didn't have the uke in stock. They then went and offered him a uke that was like 2 steps up in quality for the same price as the one they weren't able to produce. It too was considerably more in price. It just seems like thats a lot of money going out the door unnecessarily.

When you are as busy as they are, mistakes are inevitable i guess, i'm sure it doesn't happen very often though, i bought a Pono from them a year ago and i was very happy with the service.

Maybe but not nearly as much as they lost on selling that solid acacia Opio for the $200 price they were asking for the mahogany Islander they should have sent instead. The Opio was over twice the cost of the Islander! There was another member here who bought and paid for a uke through HMS and was subsequently told that they didn't have the uke in stock. They then went and offered him a uke that was like 2 steps up in quality for the same price as the one they weren't able to produce. It too was considerably more in price. It just seems like thats a lot of money going out the door unnecessarily.

It sounds like you are upset that you didn't also get a small windfall for their mistake. If just shipping the correct uke to you wasn't enough, maybe you should just have told them what you wanted to make it up to you. When they mis-ship, it costs them a lot of money. They obviously would prefer not to make those mistakes. But mistakes happen. They seem to want to make things right and assumed getting you the correct uke was making it right.

It sounds like you are upset that you didn't also get a small windfall for their mistake. If just shipping the correct uke to you wasn't enough, maybe you should just have told them what you wanted to make it up to you. When they mis-ship, it costs them a lot of money. They obviously would prefer not to make those mistakes. But mistakes happen. They seem to want to make things right and assumed getting you the correct uke was making it right.

In hindsight and in light of hearing about others experience with shipping errors I guess that I am. I don't know that I was looking for a "windfall" like others experienced but a concession of some sort might have made the difference between keeping and returning the uke at the time but I wasn't going to try and grub for one. I guess my disappointment was only heightened because it was a special circumstance and I was communicating with the store manager the whole time. Nobody wants to be on the wrong end of a mistake no matter how infrequent they might be but this time, that guy was me. In the end, it all worked out and I'm happy with the ukes I have.

Top Bottom