Season 375: Pickin' & Grinnin'

AlanDP

Reaction score

Season 375 Intro: Pickin' & Grinnin'

Brief description of Hee Haw: This was a legendary country music show that ran from 1969-1991 (I think). It featured musical performances by many major country stars, some not-so-major country stars, and some people who aren't usually considered country stars. Between the musical numbers were "comedy" bits. Check the link at the bottom of this post to see a full list of everyone who appeared on the show. It was originally envisioned as a competition for "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," but with more music. It stayed on the air for a lot longer than Laugh-In did.

All the important stuff, if you don't want to watch my rambling video:

Songs allowed:
Any song done by any guest who appeared on Hee Haw.
Any song done by any Hee Haw regular.
Any song about Hee Haw itself or about anyone who appeared on the show, guest or regular.
Any song from any of the comedy bits that were featured on Hee Haw.

Originals:
Write a country, bluegrass, gospel, or cowboy song of the sort that may have been used on Hee Haw. Or write new lyrics to one of the comedy bits. Or write a song about Hee Haw or about anyone who appeared on it, guest or regular.

Limit one song per day. However, the comedy bits are quite short, so they don't count against the limit.

Multi-tracking is fine, just make sure your ukulele is up front where we can hear it, and see it if you video yourself.

Below is the link to find all performers on Hee Haw throughout its run. For many episodes, exact songs performed on the episode are available.

Look through the list, you might be surprised. Did you know Paul Anka was on Hee Haw? Or John Hiatt?

As usual, this season starts at midnight Hawaii time on Sunday morning and ends midnight Hawaii time 8 days later on the Sunday night.

Have fun!

Hee Haw Episode Guide: All the info you need about who appeared on the show--cover any song done by anyone listed at this link

Season 375 Playlist

Last edited:
What's Hee Haw?????

Gloom, despair, and agony on me!

Wow! Lots of scope there. That's just on a quick skim through the list.

I think there will be a lot of 411 questions asked this season.

What's a 411 question?

Pretty sure I did not love anything more than Hee Haw as a kid, and that insomnia has me awake at 2:33...and that I have a song...and that every attempt I made last week at “The revolution will not be televised” was not worth posting at all. Seriously chomping at the bit here. Great theme.

Wait. If Wee is posting all bets are off and I don’t have to wait out the next 17 minutes. Mel learned this thing in Girl Scouts that we just had to commit to video...and Ollie had to sing along, and it is Hee Haw week so I am beside myself and here. Here is day one dang it.

thank you for the week Alan.
a little improvised thing we did this afternoon
in honour of the season, your love of country music
and this awesome show. best from the two of us brother.

Tom T Hall is a great songwriter.Can't imagine how I've never heard this song before.It's a beauty.I found super live versions by Tom, Bobby Bare, Buddy Miller and others- oh especially The Avett Brothers.Thanks Alan for helping me find a new entry in my favorite country tunes collection.- "That's how I got to Memphis"

Season 375. Submission 1. “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” (Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, 1969) for the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It was famously recorded by B.J. Thomas in 1969.

B.J. Thomas appeared on Hee Haw in Season 13 on Episode 23, which aired in the US on February 27, 1982.

Thank you for hosting, Alan, and your fine theme!

Baritone ukulele here.

Here's a holdover from my talking Season, as this is a mix of singing and speaking. It's a Joe Stampley song.

A week? That list of artists could keep us busy for a year. I will follow Xommen's example and pick one by Lyle Lovett.

Hello, Alan ... and thank you for educating me in the ways of "Hee Haw"; splendid idea for the week! This is a song by Buck Owens, who seems to wear very sparkly suits and appeared in numerous editions of the show.

Top Bottom