Season 375: Pickin' & Grinnin'

Here's another Buck Owens song. This one charted for Buck in 1963. The Beatles recorded it, with Ringo singing, and it was the B side of the Yesterday single. The boys played it on The Ed Sullivan Show and the B side actually made the top 50 in the US. Then Buck and Ringo recorded it together in the late '80s and made a fun video. And it charted again!

A late entry for me this week. Been kind of hectic but I really wanted to do this one. Gordon Lightfoot appeared on Hee Haw in 1976 according to his homepage - not with this song, but this is one that I have always liked. For once I am using one of my truly acoustic ukuleles - the KoAloha solid koa long neck soprano. All the best everyone and I hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Howdy folks. Long time no see. Managed to slip in a recording.

Travis Tritt appeared on Hee Haw and has covered this Sam and Dave classic both as solo and duet. Couldn't give it full auditorium with my setup but I gave it a go.

Last edited:
I was helping my new neighbour move in downstairs yesterday and he pointed to my ukuleles and said 'I've got one of those things if you want it' . These cheap laminates are very under-estimated in my humble opinion and can still belt out a decent choon. I've tuned it up but the dust still lives on it and managed to give this song a bash this morning........

When I was a little boy, I didn't understand why I loved the Hee Haw Honeys. Here's a tune that Sunshine Cornsilk (actress Lisa Todd) performed on the show.

I hope this is not stretching the boundaries of the theme... but here is an Australian interpretation of John Denver's classic 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy' (which won a Golden Guitar collaboration award for Lee Kernaghan and Josh Arnold in 2002). I grew up with the original version, but given that there was no way I was going to bust out a fiddle, it seemed like this version was the way to go.
(I always have fun being my own back-up singer(s), and I love a good twang, so I'm glad I got to finish this one before the deadline.)

(Let me know if this is outside the bounds of the theme, and I can move it across to the Island!)

Last edited:
Wonderful season Alan! It really brought back some fond memories for me :) Thanks for hosting ~

Thank you Alan...more important than the songs I played was the hours I spent knee deep in nostalgia. Excellent week- causes me do some things I loved when I was a kid, and one thing I have always needed to do that had nothing to do with the ukulele. Good times.

Top Bottom