Season 375: Pickin' & Grinnin'

Cheers for hosting this one Alan. Willie Nelson appeared a few times and had a hit with this one ..........

You asked for it! I can't believe none of our Hee Haw fans have brought this one yet.

Did it appear on every episode, in some form or another? I don't know, but in any event, it's memorable. (Yes, and it made me laugh.) Thanks for the great concept for a season, Alan!

Refrain:

Where oh where, are you tonight?/Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over and thought I found true love/But you met another and Pfft! You were gone

Hello, Alan ... and thank you for educating me in the ways of "Hee Haw"; splendid idea for the week! This is a song by Buck Owens, who seems to wear very sparkly suits and appeared in numerous editions of the show.

Those were called "Nudie suits." They were created by a guy named Nudie Cohn. He made those sparkly rhinestone suits for many big country stars.

Marty Robbins didn't do this song on Hee Haw, but he was on the show twice. I do this one all the time at the nursing home.

Must confess that I feel like a bit of a trespasser on this week’s season. This isn’t my musical genre at all, as some of you already know. And you may be even more surprised to see a Coldplay song here too. But, believe it or not, Willie Nelson has covered it! (I actually did this one before for Linda’s ‘Willie’ season.)

So I make that a double trespass - DelGriff and Coldplay - who’d have thought it!? ;)

Must confess that I feel like a bit of a trespasser on this week’s season. This isn’t my musical genre at all, as some of you already know. And you may be even more surprised to see a Coldplay song here too. But, believe it or not, Willie Nelson has covered it! (I actually did this one before for Linda’s ‘Willie’ season.)

So I make that a double trespass - DelGriff and Coldplay - who’d have thought it!? ;)

If you go down to the later years in the list, you'll find more people who are more you could say "pop friendly."

a homemade song for the season, inspired by today's hot and sunny weather here in london, with some video footage shot this afternoon. the song is trying, but quite possibly failing, to bring a bit of a country music vibe!

Jon requested I do a Patty Loveless song this week, so I slapped this one together quick. I've always liked it, played bass on it in the 90's in a band with a girl singer, never thought about singing it, it was fun to try.

Hee Haw ran for 23 years?!? Wow. That's surprising.

With 586 episodes, I could not begin to pick one, so I went to this site:
www.random.org

typed in 1 to 586, clicked generate... and got episode 91. Let's see... Buck Owens - "Made in Japan".
Oh, that sounds very early 70's.

Super Impressed with the guests of Hee Haw, guitar gods and pioneers like Merle Travis, Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed .......they don't come better than these guys !!

Last edited:
Roy Rogers was a frequent guest on "Hee Haw". This song comes from the film "Son of Paleface" (1952), in which Rogers starred with Bob Hope and Jane Russell. As a couple of two-legged friends have been causing me a lot of grief recently, I tend to agree with Mr. Rogers about the distinct advantages of putting one's faith in the four-legged variety, although I have to admit that, knowing absolutely nothing about horses, I would feel happier having a dog as my "bestie". However, my advice here ... if you happen to come across a pair of tap-dancing horses with a guitar-playing friend in tow, then string along with them - they won't let you down!

Last edited:
This song was covered by quite a few guests over the years ..............

This isn't a submission for the week, just the theme song of one of the many sketches they did on Hee Haw. This bit came around in the early 80's, as their answer to the "Urban Cowboy" craze.

In episode 32, on 29th September 1970, Lynn Anderson sang
Rocky Top

Hee Haw often introduced a surprise big star in this bit. Here's just about the biggest guest star around here!

Pardon the interruption, especially for something dear to my heart as Hee Haw, but the wrap up video for Season 374 has been posted.

Top Bottom