Season 375: Pickin' & Grinnin'

I managed to catch up. Miri and Steffen, the Ukulites, came through San Antonio on their 'round-the-world vacation trip and we met up for a couple of hours today after I got off work. Hopefully, Steffen will have a video of us to upload from his phone later on.

I made a few videos this past weekend to prepare for the coming week. This is a song Ray Price did, but not on Hee Haw. He appeared on the show three times.

I've been practicing this one so I can try it with the nursing home group sometime. It's kind of hard to sing.

Oh, I like this theme!
Here is my cover of Miss Tammy Wynette's classic.

Hi Seasonistas! It‘s been a while since we have contributed a video to the seasons. Well, we had some live playing with our Ukelites Quartett to do and we also have been travelling since august 2018. Last week we were in Los Angeles and met Ginny and Craig Turner. This week we are in San Antonio and had the great pleasure to meet this week’s host Alan. We had fun played Country tunes!

Here's a Stephen Foster song that Grandpa Jones used to perform regularly. I did it here on dulcimer, mandolin, and banjo uke.

Managed to find a contemporary artist ..in the last season of Hee Haw I think it was.Alison Krauss. This was a new song to me.Had an interesting title so i checked it out.An old fashioned story folk ballad.A true story.A sad one.Written for AK.

Blaze Foley's "If I Could Only Fly" done by Merle Haggard, who was a regular guest on Hee-Haw. I'm thrilled and thankful to be joined on this one by the fabulous "Two Little Woodpeckers". As many have mentioned, Hee-Haw was just a part of growing up for those of us of a certain age, and it brings fond family memories to mind for me. Great theme and thanks for hosting Alan ~

I'm about to go off for a few days, so not much time to explore all those names. Instead, another one from Lyle Lovett.

Now I am always a sucker for a good song title - "There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis", "I had someone else before I had you", "I want to go to Finland baby (to learn to be a ski jumper)" - all solid classics. But I think Lyle hit the top of that leader board when he came up with this one.

Season 375. Submission 2. "By Heart" - An original song by Turtledrum (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2019)

Alan, when i think of country songs, I often think of those songs in which things sometimes don't wind up going the way they were going.

Thank you for hosting this fine week of great music.

Tiny Tenor guilele here.

Hoyt Axton song Geronimo's Cadillac

Code:
[FONT=Programme]Took Geronimo way down south[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Where he couldn't look the gift horse in the mouth[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Sergeant, sergeant can't you feel[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Something's wrong with your automobile?[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Warden, warden listen to me[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Be brave and set Geronimo free[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Governor, governor, isn't it strange[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]You never see your car on the Indian range[/FONT]

[FONT=Programme]Hey, boys take me back[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]I wanna ride in Geronimo's Cadillac[/FONT]

[FONT=Programme]People, people didn't you know[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Prisoners ain't got no place to go[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Took ol' Geronimo by storm[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Took all his feathers on his uniform[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Took his land and the won't give it back[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]But they sent Geronimo a Cadillac[/FONT]

[FONT=Programme]Took Geronimo way down south[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Where he couldn't look the gift horse in the mouth[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Sergeant, Sergeant don't you feel[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Something's wrong with your automobile[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Jesus told me and I believe its true[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]"Red man's in sunset too."[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Took his land and we won't give it back[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]And we sent Geronimo a Cadillac[/FONT]

[FONT=Programme]Say ah, hey, boys take me back[/FONT]

Last edited:
Is anyone else having problems accessing YouTube? When I just tried, I was told that I was signed out, and when I signed in, an error message came up. (P.S. I am quite prepared to believe that this is just me!)

I just wanted to point out that although Trent is sitting down in this video, and Grandpa Jones always performed standing up, Trent nailed Grandpa's physical mannerisms just about perfectly.

Here's a Stephen Foster song that Grandpa Jones used to perform regularly. I did it here on dulcimer, mandolin, and banjo uke.

I just wanted to point out that although Trent is sitting down in this video, and Grandpa Jones always performed standing up, Trent nailed Grandpa's physical mannerisms just about perfectly.

I was trying to throw some Uncle Dave Macon mannerisms in the mix too, but I didn't dare try to swing the banjo around under my knee like he could. lol

I had done these separately at first, but then I thought it would be fun to put them together, Hee Haw style. I wrote some new lyrics for the first part.

this is a song by Kieran Kane, Sean Locke and John Hadley.
jon played the guitar, baritone ukulele, mandolin, bass, and sang.
joo played the banjo ukulele, sang, and made the cartoons.
hope you will enjoy this!

Spent all day demolishing the honey-do list, seeing Melissa overcome with swooning, and listening to seventies country. This one seemed like it needed to be played today.

Top Bottom