FS: Mele Koa Tenor, Double Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

YogiTom

Reaction score
Body_full top down.jpg Body_end up.jpg Back.jpg Body_end.jpg Body_side.jpg

Finally getting around to this somewhat emotional post. Ever since my Kanile'a arrived, this lovely instrument that I learned to appreciate ukulele with has sat in its case, unplayed. Time for a new home.

Solid koa body and headstock plate, mahogany neck, ebony binding/fingerboard/nut/bridge, simple wood purfling and rosette inlay, and double sound-hole design. Top and back are bookmatched, but not to each other like you see in some higher-end ukes. Sides are also bookmatched, and show a little bit of sapwood towards the neck join.

Currently strung with Living Water Low G strings and loving it. I've included a couple of sound samples via the videos below..

First purchased from the Mele showroom in Wailea in December 2018 for $800 USD, played daily for four months after that. With that in mind, I am not sure what of the small finish blemishes I found when photographing happened while in my care or while it was in the showroom. I've tried to document every blemish in detail, no matter how small. In all, I found 10 small things worth calling out that I grouped together and documented.

Link to all photos, including imperfections mentioned above: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13B3lCryVhxu1IPD9Hyb7c7T9tEPYKyUj?usp=sharing

Mele seems relatively unknown here on the forums, though I did see enough positive reviews in my searching to spur my initial purchase. I've loved playing on it, but like I said earlier just don't get it out of the case enough anymore to warrant my keeping it.

Sound samples below:

Strumming/whistling:

Fingerpicking:

Asking $450 USD shipped in CONUS. I'll include the hard case that came with it originally, an Oasis OH-5 humidifier, and will package it securely in a saved HMS box/packaging.

If you have any questions about specific measurements, please ask and I can try my best to measure and post here.

Last edited:
I have a Mele Tenor with abalone trim I bought as my first, about 8 years ago, GREAT SOUND & neck plays well, I love it. Also have a Mele 8 string KOA cutaway which I just love, ditto on remarks. Had also a soprano -sold a few years ago, wish I still had it. Good luck with your sale YogiTom
Don here in Oregon

Wow that is a beauty. Someone will be very happy strumming that beauty.
K

Sound samples and price drop

Finally had time to record some sound samples for this! Apologies for my impromptu whistling...I know I’m not the best, and iPhone mic wasn’t kind/I tend to whistle loudly as an ex-trumpeter...

The uke is currently strung with Living Water Low G strings, and these were recorded on my iPhone.

Strumming/whistling:

Fingerpicking:

Also, price reduced to $450. This includes cost of shipping in CONUS, a hardshell case, and an Oasis OH-5 humidifier. PayPal only (I’ll pay seller fees)

Edit: Nut width is 35mm and spread from outside of strings is ~29mm (outside of 1st string to outside of 4th string) measured at the 1st fret

Last edited:
Bump with a price drop. Now asking $450 shipped.

Really just need to make room here, so any reasonable offers will also be entertained.

Last price drop and trade option

Mother’s Day bump, and final price reduction.

Asking $400 shipped CONUS, OBO.

Also open to trades for soprano or concert size, solid wood ukuleles. Please no Kala; I’m not getting rid of the one I have (largely because it is technically my wife’s), but I won’t buy or own another one.

PM or email me if interested in discussing a possible trade further: tom.uker at gmail.com

Last edited:
You're tempting me. It's a beautiful instrument that sounds great and you play great. But I already have an all koa Koaloha tenor. I'm reminding myself I already have a koa ukulele. :)

You're tempting me. It's a beautiful instrument that sounds great and you play great. But I already have an all koa Koaloha tenor. I'm reminding myself I already have a koa ukulele. :)

Thank you; I still feel very firmly in the “enthusiastic amateur” camp for my playing.

The great “I don’t need two koa tenors” argument is why this one needs a new home! My Kanile‘a gets all the playtime that I used to spend with the Mele.

Thank you; I still feel very firmly in the “enthusiastic amateur” camp for my playing.

The great “I don’t need two koa tenors” argument is why this one needs a new home! My Kanile‘a gets all the playtime that I used to spend with the Mele.

I totally get it. I'm guessing your other koa is the new Kanile'a Pineapple? I so fell in love with the sound of that Ukulele. It's on the wish list. But I'm thinking I'd keep the Koaloha. It has such great action. It makes me see one of the differences between a higher end instrument and lesser grade ones. :)

I've been thinking that more is good. You could explore alternate tuning. So one uke could be High G vs Low G. Or one could be strung with dGBE. Hum I'm thinking more. It's a thought.

I totally get it. I'm guessing your other koa is the new Kanile'a Pineapple? I so fell in love with the sound of that Ukulele. It's on the wish list. But I'm thinking I'd keep the Koaloha. It has such great action. It makes me see one of the differences between a higher end instrument and lesser grade ones. :)

That’s the one. It blows most all of my other ukuleles out of the water. I feel like I need to go custom to get something I truly enjoy more.

I’ve got an Opio spruce top concert arriving tomorrow, and I’m hoping it’ll make me want to explore KoAloha a bit more. I’ve also yet to play a Kamaka, but do enjoy the sound samples that I’ve heard.

At any rate, the Mele sounds great for the price, and would a great upgrade uke for someone who wants to get a solid koa instrument!

I'll be really bummed if this doesn't sell. It's a great price! I love my Mele but I don't need another...

I'll be really bummed if this doesn't sell. ...

Me too...

In all seriousness, thanks for the endorsement. It is a lovely instrument with a solid dynamic range and lovely tone with the LW strings, imho.

Again, open to reasonable offers or trades on this one.

Gorgeous and I love the sound. I already have three tenors and one is a Mele with the Braddah tag in mahogany. One, the Kamaka, is in koa wood and I love the sound. I wish I could justify another tenor. Besides I am not sure that I would want to trade any of my other instruments and cash flow is difficult. Anyway - NICE instrument. IMHO the Mele instruments are seriously undervalued. I had a Mele soprano that is now sold. Apart from this being an endorsement - - may you sell soon and to a buyer who will appreciate what they are getting.

Gorgeous and I love the sound. I already have three tenors and one is a Mele with the Braddah tag in mahogany. One, the Kamaka, is in koa wood and I love the sound. I wish I could justify another tenor. Besides I am not sure that I would want to trade any of my other instruments and cash flow is difficult. Anyway - NICE instrument. IMHO the Mele instruments are seriously undervalued. I had a Mele soprano that is now sold. Apart from this being an endorsement - - may you sell soon and to a buyer who will appreciate what they are getting.

Thanks, frianm. It is a lovely instrument with good tone and intonation. Maybe I should record a few more sound samples.

I suspect the cosmetic marks are keeping folks from being more interested, but those are hard to see or care about when you’re playing! :)

Thanks, frianm. It is a lovely instrument with good tone and intonation. Maybe I should record a few more sound samples.

I suspect the cosmetic marks are keeping folks from being more interested, but those are hard to see or care about when you’re playing! :)

IMHO these are no more than evidence that it has been played. All my instruments show these and those I bought used show even more. It is the playability and sound that matter.

I understand why your Mele isn't getting much play time. I bought the prototype Kanile'a 2019 LE Platinum Pineapple on Jan 2nd right off the finishing room shelf during the first Kanile'a factory tour of 2019. They passed it around, I played it and immediately asked if it was for sale. Tour guide said they weren't even in production yet so it was doubtful. Couldn't believe Joe agreed to sell it to me later during the tour. Carried it out in a used bari HSC because the production cases weren't available yet (came in before I left Hawaii). My Pineapple is pictured in the Spring 2019 Ukulele magazine in a Kanile'a ad! Crazy full clean sound, killer koa grains. My other ukes also got jealous for a while. At your asking price the Mele should sell. Fair price for a great uke! Good luck with it, Rick...

A great uke for a great price. I think they are "classy" looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom