Anyone else with a hearing sensitivity?

I don't have much hearing loss, but I appreciate the problem. I've worked with a lot of people with hearing loss.
I have a sensitivity to loud noises. A loud banjo or drum can give me a headache and make me nervous wreck.
Fireworks and sirens? Forget it!

I’m not sure if anyone suggest this yet, but have you tried to cover the sound hole with tape or a custom sound hole cover? It will lower or suppress the volume and you don’t have to sell or not using your nice ukes for your enjoyment.

aNueNue has such product.
http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/products/seri/51

Now there is an excellent suggestion! Just might do the job!

I’m not sure if anyone suggest this yet, but have you tried to cover the sound hole with tape or a custom sound hole cover? It will lower or suppress the volume and you don’t have to sell or not using your nice ukes for your enjoyment.

aNueNue has such product.
http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/products/seri/51

No, they haven't mentioned that. That might work! I will look into it. Thanks!

Or, you can put a sock in it. The sound hole. It will muffle the sound until a more elegant solution is made or found.

Not being able to differentiate a conversation from background noise is one of the first signs of hearing loss. According to sound engineers and people from the American Deaf Association that I know.
I am just beginning to have this difficulty.

If you are a veteran, you can get hearing aids through the VA.

Or, you can put a sock in it. The sound hole. It will muffle the sound until a more elegant solution is made or found.

Not being able to differentiate a conversation from background noise is one of the first signs of hearing loss. According to sound engineers and people from the American Deaf Association that I know.
I am just beginning to have this difficulty.

If you are a veteran, you can get hearing aids through the VA.

Put a sock in it! Bet my school kids would like to say that to me! :p. I will try the sock until I can make a sound hole cover.

Hearing aids are not as good as the human ear, but they are beneficial (even though I don't like them). When you first start wearing them everything is going to sound loud! You will adjust to hearing all the sounds again.

I don't wear hearing aids and I have no experience with instrument amplification, so take this with a grain of salt...

But what about playing a uke with a pickup, but instead of running it to cabinet speakers, you run it to a set of over-the-ear headphones? The headphones will block much of the natural sound from the instrument, and you can dial the amplified volume as low as you need to. If you want to get fancy, I bet your audiologist could help you identify frequency range(s) that are causing most of the pain and you can selectively attenuate those bands by running the signal through an EQ to let you play with a little more overall volume.

My ukuleles are acoustic without pickups. Not planning on buying more right now.

Now that is a very interesting idea indeed! You just may be on to something, SpaceForRent!

My wife says I'm full of it. I think she meant that I'm full of them. Ideas, that is. *ahem* Anyway... if you want a really interesting idea, I would get with an electronics engineer to build some sort of pre-amp that would work like a loop system in theaters to interface directly with telecoil equipped hearing aids. Plug in your instrument and the amp output is produced directly in your ear.

And, of course I just did a quick Google and discovered that a functionally similar device is already on the market for use with home AV gear. I did not see any indication that the technology had been specifically applied to musical instrument amplification.

Sorry to hear of your problem.

I think that you are on the wrong track with any acoustic Uke.

A solid body electric Uke will give you control over the volume.

Feed an electric Uke into a Mixer then into a Graphics Equaliser (with as many bands as you can afford) feed its output into an Amp and you will then have full control over the sound level.

The Graphics Equaliser will enable you to fine tune the frequency that causes you the problem

Sorry to hear of your problem.

I think that you are on the wrong track with any acoustic Uke.

A solid body electric Uke will give you control over the volume.

Feed an electric Uke into a Mixer then into a Graphics Equaliser (with as many bands as you can afford) feed its output into an Amp and you will then have full control over the sound level.

The Graphics Equaliser will enable you to fine tune the frequency that causes you the problem

Well, I got the acoustics before I realized it would be a problem. And it hasn't always been a problem. My Makala Shark never bothered me so I think I will get it out and try it again.

I do have an electric uke - the eleuke. I don't like the strings, though. They hurt my fingers. Could I put acoustic strings on it?

Well, I got the acoustics before I realized it would be a problem. And it hasn't always been a problem. My Makala Shark never bothered me so I think I will get it out and try it again.

I do have an electric uke - the eleuke. I don't like the strings, though. They hurt my fingers. Could I put acoustic strings on it?

I have Living Waters on my peanut shaped Eleuke. The action/setup isn't very good. It wasn't a steel string version. VERY quiet when not plugged in. Mine also has an earphone jack and volume control. I've played it through headphones and it's a little crude, but it worked. Also has bluetooth and I played it through bluetooth wireless earbuds, but in-ear buds wouldn't work with hearing aids.

I have Living Waters on my peanut shaped Eleuke. The action/setup isn't very good. It wasn't a steel string version. VERY quiet when not plugged in. Mine also has an earphone jack and volume control. I've played it through headphones and it's a little crude, but it worked. Also has bluetooth and I played it through bluetooth wireless earbuds, but in-ear buds wouldn't work with hearing aids.

OK, thanks. Mine has steel strings. It is an older version without bluetooth, but it has the earphone jack.

I like that it is very quiet. I might try restringing it, even though it isn't too loud with the steel strings without amp. Just hard on the fingers.

Top Bottom