Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Song Indecision

Default First Song Indecision

I have been having a hard time choosing which song I should learn first.

I think I am settled on "Let It Be". It has the chords I've been practicing (without strumming though) and it is slow so hopefully I will be able to play it at tempo without too much struggle.

Did I pick a good first song? Does anyone think there is a better one?

I didn't know that you could practice chords without strumming.
    It is when strumming you can hear if you are fretting them clean.

If you like the song, and the chords you found are not too difficult, it is a fine choice.
    It is important to pick a song that you will like to play, to keep you practicing.

The versions I can find has 4 chords. C, G , Am, F. All very doable. There are some songs with only 2 chords, which will be easier to begin with.
    Like, just to practice strumming and switching between two chords, you could throw in something even simpler first. Like the Banana Boat Song with just C and G.
    But go ahead and try on "Let it Be", then find a back-up song to learn first if progress is slow.

Edit:
    Just to sum up, I think you should actually pick two first songs to learn. Let it be, which os fairly beginner friendly, and possibly also an even easier song at the same time.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 04-21-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

If you like the song and are familiar with how it goes, then it's a good choice. If it doesn't work out, you can always pick another one. There are an endless number of songs available, and no rules governing which ones you should start with. Or how many. You will learn something new from every song you try. This is YOUR ukulele journey, and you are the one who gets to decide where it takes you. The most important thing is to enjoy the ride. :-) Best of luck, CloudyKitty!
    Jan D
    KoAloha KCM-00 (all solid koa concert)
    KoAloha KCO-10 (all solid acacia concert Opio)
    Ohana TK-35CG (all solid mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Most start out on songs with 2 or 3 chords, but as it's a slow one, I'm sure you'll cope.

Always pick a song that you like, you will keep at it & improve quicker than trying to learn something you're not interested in.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I have hard time remembering the words, so to me it is the song that has them a lot, sort of a nursery rhime.
    This is it: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/1674129

Now this is in finnish and also using all 6 main chords, but in english it is a somewhat simpler in chording and called Itsy Bitsy Spider
    Just the finnish version has some more taste also into the minor so it can be more than just a childrens song in education, in my opinion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD-8oQuo4EI

If I started by playing nursery rhymes, I probably wouldn’t have lasted very long. I saw an interview with Jake Shimabukuro and he said his #1 tip was to find songs you love and they will motivate you to practice more.

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I 'love' Let It Be, but I know and like it well enough that it seems like a good starting point.

The Banana Boat Song is a great suggestion for what to learn next. If I start playing that one people are sure to join and sing a long right?

I've never used nursery rhymes to learn an instrument (as an adult). The advice of Jake Shimabukuro rings true for me. When I was trying to teach myself electric bass, I always just hunted down TAB for the songs I wanted to learn and started plunking away!

I feel silly because I can't find the post about people's stories for how their journey with the uke started. Where's it hiding? Thanks, whoever is willing to link!

Quote Originally Posted by CloudyKitty View Post
    I feel silly because I can't find the post about people's stories for how their journey with the uke started. Where's it hiding? Thanks, whoever is willing to link!
    Is this what you are looking for?
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...lele-found-you
    Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Thank you!

Thread Information