Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Song Indecision

Interesting about this Let it be song. It was also my go to song as a youngster, until my sister came telling me that you pronounce it wrong.

It is let and not led it be she sayed. To me it always sounded when Paul sang as more d than t. But I probably went overboard with that d in led it be lol.

But who cares nowadays.

Many find the C Am F G7 progression a good starting point. You can strum 4 on each chord for the song Poor Little Fool or 2 strums on each chord for many songs: 26 Miles Across The Sea, Blue Moon, Heart And Soul . . . Google "I vi IV V songs".

For a beginner, start with the ring finger on the 3rd fret of the first string (C). Then put your bird finger on the second fret of the 4th string while removing your ring finger (Am). Then drop your index finger on the 1st fret of the 2nd string, leaving your bird finger on the 4th string where it is (F). Then, leaving your index finger in place, move your bird finger to the 3rd string, second fret and drop your ring finger to the second fret of the first string (G7). Then take all fingers except the ring off and slide it up one fret to the third (C) and you're ready to go 'round again. This is easier to show than to describe.

A few more songs to try:
    1. Chain Gang - Sam Cooke
    2. Crocodile Rock - Elton John
    3. Friday - Rebecca Black
    4. Happiness Is a Warm Gun - The Beatles
    5. No Surprises - Radiohead
    6. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
    7. You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson
    8. Heart and Soul - Larry Clinton
    9. Give a Little Love - Bay City Rollers
    10. Earth Angel - The Penguins
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 04-23-2019 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    Many find the C Am F G7 progression a good starting point. You can strum 4 on each chord for the song Poor Little Fool or 2 strums on each chord for many songs: 26 Miles Across The Sea, Blue Moon, Heart And Soul . . . Google "I vi IV V songs".

For a beginner, start with the ring finger on the 3rd fret of the first string (C). Then put your bird finger on the second fret of the 4th string while removing your ring finger (Am). Then drop your index finger on the 1st fret of the 2nd string, leaving your bird finger on the 4th string where it is (F). Then, leaving your index finger in place, move your bird finger to the 3rd string, second fret and drop your ring finger to the second fret of the first string (G7). Then take all fingers except the ring off and slide it up one fret to the third (C) and you're ready to go 'round again. This is easier to show than to describe.

A few more songs to try:
    1. Chain Gang - Sam Cooke
    2. Crocodile Rock - Elton John
    3. Friday - Rebecca Black
    4. Happiness Is a Warm Gun - The Beatles
    5. No Surprises - Radiohead
    6. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
    7. You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson
    8. Heart and Soul - Larry Clinton
    9. Give a Little Love - Bay City Rollers
    10. Earth Angel - The Penguins
    Sorry if I’m sound rude, I never heard of bird finger and it brings me a chuckle as it’s used nonchalantly here. Heehee.
    Great list of songs, stand by me is catchy and upbeat if you can do the island strum.
    Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

All good suggestions so far.
    If you can play 4 chords:
    C. Am. F. G7
    You can easily play a dozen songs with that simple chord progression.

Also known as a 1-6-4-5 progression

26 Miles Across the Sea, Santa Catalina is Waiting For Me
    Earth Angel
    Today While the Blossoms Still Cling to The Vine
    Sherry
    Run Around Sue
    A Teenager in Love
    Octopus Garden
    Stand by Me
    What a Wonderful World This Would Be

Sometimes the bridge may consist of only 2 or 3 chords
    Sometimes instead of Am it may be a Dm ó but Am will usually work.

And if four chords are too many, go with standard 12 Bar Blues progression:

C. C. C. C
    F. F. C. C
    G7 F. C. C

That will allow you to play hundreds of a Rock and Roll songs.

Good Luck - and donít be intimidated

All these suggestions are very helpful for me, thanks everyone!
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

You will stumble as you learn the songs. When that happens, just practice the part that is giving you problems. Say a chord change between Am & G7. Just slow the strum down and practice that chord change over and over. If you get bored play the song again. And then go back to the chord change and do it again a few times.

Two keys to learning are
    1. Start out slowly and go through playing the music, using your foot to keep the time.
    2. Break it down into sections that give you trouble. Play those parts over and over until they become easy.
    Then when it becomes smoother and comfortable add the words. That way you aren't trying to do too many things simultaneously. It's all about muscle memory.

Play some songs you enjoy, to keep things fresh. Then go back to your problem areas and practice them again.

It's like learning to drive a car. When you first start to drive you have to consciously think about everything. Gas, brakes, steering, speed, turn signals, etc. After a while you get to the point where you don't have to think about how far to push the pedals, or turn the wheel. You know.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Interesting about this Let it be song. It was also my go to song as a youngster, until my sister came telling me that you pronounce it wrong.

It is let and not led it be she sayed. To me it always sounded when Paul sang as more d than t. But I probably went overboard with that d in led it be lol.

But who cares nowadays.
    You could always consider a song by Let Zeppelin... oh, wait...

Thread Information