Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mya-Moe ukes verses Old Mya-Moe Ukes

Default New Mya-Moe ukes verses Old Mya-Moe Ukes

Just curious, any comments on older Mya-Moe Ukuleles made by Gordon, Char and Aaron verses new Mya Moe ukuleles made by Carry Kelly?

Different? the same? ????
    Koaloha Opio Acacia Longneck Soprano
    Koaloha Opio concert
    Martin 100 year anniversary S1
    Martin IZ commemorative Tenor
    Kamaka 100 year anniversary model hf-1 2016
    Pono Acaia Taropatch 8 string
    Loprinzi cherry wood tenor
    Southern Cross Banjo Concert
    :::Quality fun and no worry about ukes::::
    Goldtone little gem banjo (beach banjo)
    Flight travel soprano (beach uke)

It seems like it may take a while for the new MM’s to catch up to the quality of the old.
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Custom Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Custom Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree ‘Mutt’ Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

Cary will be exhibiting at the Reno Uke Fest in early May. I'm sure folks will post after seeing some of his new ones. I have placed an order for a new MM concert, but it will not be delivered until late summer. My main player in Reno is a MM super soprano made early on with a serial number in the mid 500s.
    Richard from Reno
    soprano and concert guy

Quote Originally Posted by fretie View Post
    It seems like it may take a while for the new MM’s to catch up to the quality of the old.
    What is that based on? Have you compared the two?
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - Koaloha Special Issue Tenor - Mya Moe Maple & Spruce Tenor - Pono MGTDP

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    What is that based on? Have you compared the two?
    Playing an original MM and listening to sound samples of the new generation...seems the new don’t quite match the old.

Interesting to note that Peter Luongo has switched from MM to Kala.

As an aside, nice to see Beansprout ukes gaining some traction and an impressive distinct style.
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Custom Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Custom Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree ‘Mutt’ Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

I've been to Cary's workshop in Illinois and, of course, played every uke I could get my hands on. If anything, I like his ukes better than the older Mya-Moes I've had the pleasure to play. Which is not a strictly fair comparison because some of those old ukes were... well... old and the original builders were continually learning and improving over the years.

Looks and workmanship are beautiful as always. Some of the older Mya-Moes are a little stiff for my taste: maybe the wood still needs to open up, or maybe they were built for buyers who have a heavier right-hand technique. Much depends on personal preference. The new ukes suit me better; I think they sing across a wider dynamic range.

I don't believe anyone who has played these ukes would question that Cary is building instruments of the highest quality. Whether they are the right ukes for you is a question I can't answer.

Playing an original MM and listening to sound samples of the new generation...seems the new don’t quite match the old.

As an aside, nice to see Beansprout ukes gaining some traction and an impressive distinct style.
    He still has his MM at least last when I saw and him getting Kala has more to with Kala sponsoring him and everything that goes with it. That said, the looks and ordering process still rocks and I have owned and played old MM and beansprout, there was a lot of variation based on the wood, so it is hard to extrapolate. I guess we should wait for folks from Reno uke fest

Also, the Kala ukes Peter has are not the one we can order. It has been customized for him (dare I say to be more like MM.. radius fretboard, custom frets, neck profile).. we can’t get that we can get a MM..

I have three, and they are wonderful.
    Kathryn

Lil' Rev has also switched, but I don't recall his new brand. I bought his M-M resonator tenor.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information