New Mya-Moe ukes verses Old Mya-Moe Ukes

uketanzon

Reaction score
Just curious, any comments on older Mya-Moe Ukuleles made by Gordon, Char and Aaron verses new Mya Moe ukuleles made by Carry Kelly?

Different? the same? ????

It seems like it may take a while for the new MM’s to catch up to the quality of the old.

Cary will be exhibiting at the Reno Uke Fest in early May. I'm sure folks will post after seeing some of his new ones. I have placed an order for a new MM concert, but it will not be delivered until late summer. My main player in Reno is a MM super soprano made early on with a serial number in the mid 500s.

It seems like it may take a while for the new MM’s to catch up to the quality of the old.

What is that based on? Have you compared the two?

What is that based on? Have you compared the two?

Playing an original MM and listening to sound samples of the new generation...seems the new don’t quite match the old.

Interesting to note that Peter Luongo has switched from MM to Kala.

As an aside, nice to see Beansprout ukes gaining some traction and an impressive distinct style.

I've been to Cary's workshop in Illinois and, of course, played every uke I could get my hands on. If anything, I like his ukes better than the older Mya-Moes I've had the pleasure to play. Which is not a strictly fair comparison because some of those old ukes were... well... old and the original builders were continually learning and improving over the years.

Looks and workmanship are beautiful as always. Some of the older Mya-Moes are a little stiff for my taste: maybe the wood still needs to open up, or maybe they were built for buyers who have a heavier right-hand technique. Much depends on personal preference. The new ukes suit me better; I think they sing across a wider dynamic range.

I don't believe anyone who has played these ukes would question that Cary is building instruments of the highest quality. Whether they are the right ukes for you is a question I can't answer.

Playing an original MM and listening to sound samples of the new generation...seems the new don’t quite match the old.

As an aside, nice to see Beansprout ukes gaining some traction and an impressive distinct style.
He still has his MM at least last when I saw and him getting Kala has more to with Kala sponsoring him and everything that goes with it. That said, the looks and ordering process still rocks and I have owned and played old MM and beansprout, there was a lot of variation based on the wood, so it is hard to extrapolate. I guess we should wait for folks from Reno uke fest

Also, the Kala ukes Peter has are not the one we can order. It has been customized for him (dare I say to be more like MM.. radius fretboard, custom frets, neck profile).. we can’t get that we can get a MM..

Lil' Rev has also switched, but I don't recall his new brand. I bought his M-M resonator tenor.

Comments on previous thread about this:

[Bhttps://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134864-Mya-moe-ukes-since-the-transition-to-new-owner-builder&highlight=mya-moe[/B]

I hope it linked ok.

I used to own a number of MM Ukes. They taught me what a good Uke was. That experience gave me the confidence to commission my own custom builds from various builders.

I’ve not had a chance to play one of the new MM’s but from what I’ve seen, Cary’s output looks fantastic. Good enough for me to take that leap of faith that we all take when commissioning a bespoke instrument.

I had the opportunity to sample some of the new Mya Moe ukuleles at the City of Lights Ukulele Festival in Aurora, IL last fall. They were as nice as any of the ukes that Char and Gordon made.

I had the opportunity to sample some of the new Mya Moe ukuleles at the City of Lights Ukulele Festival in Aurora, IL last fall. They were as nice as any of the ukes that Char and Gordon made.

The new owner spent a lot of time with them, learning their techniques, so I'm sure the new ukes will be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I've got a new and a old Mya-moe baritone. The sound, quality and workmanship are excellent on both. Cary is building quality ukes IMHO.

P1090106 by hejenkins, on Flickr

I've got a new and a old Mya-moe baritone. The sound, quality and workmanship are excellent on both. Cary is building quality ukes IMHO.

P1090106 by hejenkins, on Flickr

Ah Doc such eye candy. As you know I own an older MM baritone almost identical to your original. Fabulous instruments and if you say just as good asoriginal well that is golden. Actually Kathryn likes the new ones even better. Maybe I need a new one too;)

Top Bottom