Buffing machine vs auto foam pads

JJohansen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm debating whether to shell out for a stewmac buffing machine, build my own, or to with foam auto pads and corresponding compounds.

Foam auto pads in a drill press would by far be the cheapest, but the fact that so many shops and custom builders use dedicated buffing wheels makes me wonder what their drawbacks are.

I could build my own, but when I calculated the parts cost and the time it would take to source and build everything, I wouldn't be that far off from the price of a stewmac system.

I'm shooting nitro, and expect to be buffing about 4 to 6 instruments a month. More important than cost, I want to achieve the absolute best finish possible.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated,

Josh

If you are planning on 4 to 6 instruments a month it's a no brainer. If you can make that many in a month.... and shooting nitro.... you won't have much time for any other process. Is this just you or do you have a crew? The time involved is in the prep before the buffing. I guess I would worry more about the time spent with all of the prep work and sanding before the buffing part if you want an excellent result.

Last edited:
I get very good results on nitro using microfiber bonnets on a 6" handheld orbital buffer from Home Depot. While I lust after S-M's buffing machine, I have no room for it in the shop.

I've had excellent results with the foam pads and a progression of compounds. Like tparse said, the time is in the prep. The better you prep the better, the final outcome. Work your way through the grits of papers and then buff/polish with the progression of polishing grits.
On the buffer, if you decide to go this way, be careful you don't catch an edge or your uke will end up smashed against the wall or the floor! I use one of the Menzerna solid polishing compounds. Don't remember which and they come in all kinds of grits too. I think I use a kind of medium cut.
Check out Robert O'brien who has all kinds of tips about finishing on youtube.

Last edited:
Its a no brainer. If you're planning on building a uke here and there go the foam pad route but if (which sounds like you are) are planning on production and quality the buffing machine is the way to go. Menzerna like Resoman recommended. 1 side with Medium cut and the other with fine cut. Just remember, in order to get the best polish and high gloss with Nitro you need curing time...the more the better.

Shop Fox makes a decent arbor for around $100 3/4 inch shafts with for 10 inch buffing wheels. A quarter horse 1725 motor to drive it works find for me.

The biggest difference between the foam pads and the large buffing bonnets in regards to how they work is the heat build up.

Foam pads will really heat up the substrate, whereas the large cotton bonnets dissipate the heat far better. If you get timber and the finish hot, you are going to have all sorts of issues that negatively impact on the final outcome.

I used the foam pad method for years. Switched to the SM buff and really am kicking myself for not going that route a long time ago.

Top Bottom