Bass ukulele s

Lopaka96707

Reaction score
Has anyone made bass ukelele plans for sale? Wanting to make one for myself.

I've found conversion kits to make one out of a kids guitar but haven't been able to find plans as of yet.

I have made a couple of solid bodies, which are simpler than hollow bodies and because hollow body bass ukes are so quiet there is not much volume difference.
I coppied and adjusted templates from here https://sites.google.com/site/guitarplanscollection/pdf-files/fender-ish.
The Fenwick Rodmaster is a 90% jazzmaster bass with the neck join fiddled to fit a 100% neck width.

Chanenbacker Bass.jpg
20190406_175319.jpg
I will work on a materials list I used

Hello
I bought the Buzzard kit and just made a baritone to fit it all to. I used "real" machine heads which frankly are too heavy and needed modification. The second one I made I sourced the pre-amp and pickup parts from ebay and did it myself. The first one's neck is probably too narrow but i prefer playing it to the regular neck width one.
Max

Any luck with Bass Uke plans ? I need the specs for neck/ fret board / scale. Thanks.

Thanks For making me feel guilty about not following this up.
Your scale length will be dependant on the strings you get. I do all my best design using CAD - or Cardboard aided design using Ruler paper and pencil and scisors/knife. This neck template has a bit of cardboard extra at the top for attaching the headstock template to and the rest is to lay on the body.
It is as you can see from what is written on it 45ish wide at the nut, has a scale length of 512 and around 10mm compensation at the saddle/bridge another 20 or 30 mm may be needed to give wiggle room for the adjustable/ floating bridge (fixed is OK for fretless). The saddle is at least 70mm wide to fit the acoustic bass piezo pickup.
20190429_093255.jpg

You will need to buy some parts - I haven't got them all here and not all of them are absolutely essential.
In the picture
- top left a pre-wired passive volume tone control or variant
- second from left an acoustic bass piezo pickup (it is about 70mm wide and has 4 big lumps which are the individual pickups for each string.
- third from left, a Fender style neck attachment plate (Stick through or other designs are also possible)
Bottom A set of open Tuners for a regular bass (this type can be easily flipped left or right the far right one has been disassembled) or you can splurge on the purpose built bass ukulele tuners.
Far right Something to quickly and easily widen those slots to fit the thick bass uke strings - this 2 inch diamond wheel is a little flimsy but does the trick
20190428_164634.jpg

More things to consider or order
- Fret wire - I used 2.4mm for the Fenwick Rodmaster Or not - The Chanenbacker is fretless Dan Hulbert used full bass size frets which looks a little wrong for some reason..
- Alternate to that passive control there are plenty of active and passive controllers and preamps. I much prefer the final look of the bass active preamp I used for the Rodmaster rather than the sit in top box preamp I put on the Chanenbacker. Some of these active preamps include tuners which some people find handy.
- Bass Ukulele Strings.
- Tools you might need - eg Fret slotting saw, Forstner Drill bits (14 and 18mm for these tuning pegs).
Wood for neck and body, pick-guard material, nut and saddle material etc

Now you need to work out what body shape and head shape you want. See https://sites.google.com/site/guitarplanscollection/home they have a great collection of classic Fenderish, Gibsonesque and Other templates. Next one I am working on I may go smaller on the Body size or squash it for length. After looking at the Ashbury bass (http://www.largesound.com/) I feel a bit more relaxed about having a smaller body.
20190426_132834.jpg

I have just had an order come in for another one but I have yet to hear back on preferred body shape and a lot of parts (eg strings and preamp) are in the mail. I hope to turn the design and build process into an instructable. https://www.instructables.com/member/titchtheclown I will share that when it is finished.

Last edited:
I've had bass ukes modified to look like other basses and junior guitars converted to bass. Either I've done the work, or had a couple of builders in the Los Angeles area do it, Eric's Guitar, Patt's Guitar Repair and Wilkins Guitar Painting.

Bass before and after 1024 new.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks For making me feel guilty about not following this up.
Your scale length will be dependant on the strings you get. I do all my best design using CAD - or Cardboard aided design using Ruler paper and pencil and scisors/knife. This neck template has a bit of cardboard extra at the top for attaching the headstock template to and the rest is to lay on the body.
It is as you can see from what is written on it 45ish wide at the nut, has a scale length of 512 and around 10mm compensation at the saddle/bridge another 20 or 30 mm may be needed to give wiggle room for the adjustable/ floating bridge (fixed is OK for fretless). The saddle is at least 70mm wide to fit the acoustic bass piezo pickup.
View attachment 117716

You will need to buy some parts - I haven't got them all here and not all of them are absolutely essential.
In the picture
- top left a pre-wired passive volume tone control or variant
- second from left an acoustic bass piezo pickup (it is about 70mm wide and has 4 big lumps which are the individual pickups for each string.
- third from left, a Fender style neck attachment plate (Stick through or other designs are also possible)
Bottom A set of open Tuners for a regular bass (this type can be easily flipped left or right the far right one has been disassembled) or you can splurge on the purpose built bass ukulele tuners.
Far right Something to quickly and easily widen those slots to fit the thick bass uke strings - this 2 inch diamond wheel is a little flimsy but does the trick
View attachment 117717

More things to consider or order
- Fret wire - I used 2.4mm for the Fenwick Rodmaster Or not - The Chanenbacker is fretless Dan Hulbert used full bass size frets which looks a little wrong for some reason..
- Alternate to that passive control there are plenty of active and passive controllers and preamps. I much prefer the final look of the bass active preamp I used for the Rodmaster rather than the sit in top box preamp I put on the Chanenbacker. Some of these active preamps include tuners which some people find handy.
- Bass Ukulele Strings.
- Tools you might need - eg Fret slotting saw, Forstner Drill bits (14 and 18mm for these tuning pegs).
Wood for neck and body, pick-guard material, nut and saddle material etc

Now you need to work out what body shape and head shape you want. See https://sites.google.com/site/guitarplanscollection/home they have a great collection of classic Fenderish, Gibsonesque and Other templates. Next one I am working on I may go smaller on the Body size or squash it for length. After looking at the Ashbury bass (http://www.largesound.com/) I feel a bit more relaxed about having a smaller body.
View attachment 117718

I have just had an order come in for another one but I have yet to hear back on preferred body shape and a lot of parts (eg strings and preamp) are in the mail. I hope to turn the design and build process into an instructable. https://www.instructables.com/member/titchtheclown I will share that when it is finished.

thanks for the information.. would it be safe to use the neck information on an acoustic bass ukulele build?

The sad truth is that unless you have a really big body, i.e. double bass size, driven by higher tension and longer scale length you are not going to get a lot of acoustic volume out of your instrument. Ok for practicing in a quiet environment but nothing to entertain the masses. The fretboard width seems around reasonable but the scale length will be a co function of the lenght you want vs the strings you can buy plus or minus a floppy or overstretched string or 4. Kohanmike made or had made a few in close or close to close scale lengths. Based on what the strings were made for . Starting from scratch I would recommend sticking to the standard set by the strings you can get your hands on and your preferences. The availability of wound or rubber/ silicone/polyurethane or whatever they are may drive you to select what you are happy with.

Top Bottom