Best Ukulele Building Kits/Brands?

Coley

Reaction score
Hey all! c:

So, I've been interesting in starting to build my own ukuleles for the first time!

I was curious if any of you know of some reliable brands/certain kits that are better than others to purchase? I've heard MGB have a good kit for cheap! I'll post the link below.

I'd like to create either a cigar box, or regular bodied ones. Probably the easier one first lol.

Any advice/feedback/knowledge is very much appreciated!!

Thanks & have a great day,
Coley!! c:

The MGB Ukulele Kit Link:

https://mgbguitars.com/products/mgb-ukulele-kit

I would suggest building from scratch, you learn a lot faster and also learn which tools you might require if you wish to continue building. Go to Stewmac website and download the uke kit instructions and also the bracing patterns, they're free. It's a good place to start, good luck. Mike

p.s. be prepared to make jigs, jigs and more jigs.

I think this is just an advertisement for MGB .

I would say the best kit is the one with the best instructions.

Best and/or cheap kits wont get you far with bad instructions.

I'd stay away from the MGB ukulele kit you linked - looks like a lot of fake reviews and poor quality parts. LMII and Stewmac are the classic best options out there, depending on how much of the work you want to do yourself.

I don't really love any of the books out there, but I'd pick up something (perhaps https://hanalimastore.com/products/hana-lima-ia-ukulele-construction-manual) to get going and make sure you have at least some instruction for each step.

John

Any kit t get you started is good.

Sidebar: There is a book in production which I have seen in draft. It's going to be 'another one' for the library. I am planning to scale down next year so will be able to write the book I have been wanting to write for years. Of the available ones, only the Hana Lima one has my vote - it is by practicing teacher. Sure, it is a manual for the author's course and yes, I do not agree with all of it; at least it is authentic and authoritative.

Top Bottom