NUD....sorta, old friend returns

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The very first uke I bought was an all mahogany laminate Gretsch G9120 tenor. The ensuing years saw me buy other ukuleles and this eventually didnt get played much. About three years ago I loaned this to someone who wanted to learn how to play ukulele.

I never really heard much from him after a few get togethers and eventually figured I would never see the uke again. I was a bit sad because it was my first ukulele but figured if it helped someone else find joy from the ukulele it was worth it. Well I got a call from his soon to be ex asking if I ever got my uke back, she is a friend of my wife. Well she returned the uke back to me about a week ago. I was thrilled to see it was in the same shape it left my home. I gave the exterior an oil treatment and changed out the three year old strings. Glad to have my old friend back in the fold. I won't be loaning that one out again

20190423_160756.jpg20190423_160747.jpg20190423_160713.jpg20190423_160626.jpg

Last edited:
You never forget your first. Glad it worked out for you.

My first ukulele, an Oscar Schmidt OU-2, is sitting right here next to me in it's orginal, trashy, cheap gig bag. It's going with me in a couple of weeks to a music camp where it will be donated at a silent auction to raise some money for a worthy cause in West Africa. I only played it for a couple of weeks before I realized that it wasn't that my playing was bad, but was being limited by a poor quality instrument. I hope it brings joy to someone. At least it was sufficient to show me that I could play a ukulele and just needed a proper instrument to bring out a good sound.

So thoughtful of her to get it back to you. A happy ending to the uke's journey. A nice looking uke at that.

I played dulcimers with my sister on Easter. She had loaned out a dulcimer a few years back and had lost track of it. She just got it back too, and was a happy camper.

That was a cool story!

Top Bottom