Down Up Dave hand surgery

I’m sure that you will recover quickly and fully and as others have said, post operation physical therapy is the key to the best outcome. Cheers my friend.

Hi, Dave! Wish you a speedy recovery.

Study is boring. Learn and play harmonica* for your wife. I have a cheap $2 Yairi. There is a expensive Bob Dylan signature model (photo right) for you.

*It is not a slang.

But do make sure you do your PT as soon as you can. It's almost more important than the surgery itself.

I can attest to this. I almost took one of my fingers off with a chainsaw a bunch of years back (funny story for another time, perhaps). The effect of PT was nothing short of miraculous. Do everything your PT tells you to do, and then ask if you can do more. It sucks, but it's a huge part of the recovery process for an appendage as intricate and dexterous as a human hand. Feel better soon.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

You could use your recovery time to research some new music you want to learn. Or you could research a new uke you want to acquire :D

Last edited:
I know from where you are, I had open heart surgery a year ago. Keep a positive attitude, that's the best medicine.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wow.......I can't believe how wonderful all of you people are, thank you so very much. I am really touched.

As another poster mentioned the condition in my left hand fingers is Dupuytrens Contracture. Three of the four finger on my left hand are bent between 30-90 degrees and will not straighten, this makes it very difficult to fret now. It is a progressive condition and this surgery is unavoidable. They basically have to slice up each finger from palm to last knuckle before the finger tip then cut tensions and scar tissue. There have I made you throw up yet:p

I went into the hosptial this morning and was released at 4:00 to go home. My left hand fingers are now held straight and immobilized in a splint for two weeks. Then the stiches are removed and the rehab starts. Doc said best case scenario is 2 month could be as much as 6 months before full usage of my left hand. I promise all of you I will rehab my butt off.

Regarding new material to learn. I just received an email from Daniel Ward about a new book he is releasing. I own his first book "Arpeggio Meditations" and this email allowed me to pre order the new one "Melodic Meditations". It should show up beginning of June and I will be raring to go by then.

Thank you everyone this was truly uplifting. Brenda you are the best, Simon so are you. We are the three LfdM musketeers. You guys can play and I will sing at the party in two weeks.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery, Dave. I hope you will be back at playing your ukes and guitars in no time! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Rainer;
Yes there is but Simon and I will take care of that - sorting out his ukes and divide them between us. Kill him while he is weak!

I second Kathryn!

Brenda, I can change strings for you next week. I am getting pretty good at that.

Thank you doctor.
Yes please help this patient. Look forward to your visit. That’s a long drive to see downupdave :D

Thanks Brenda.
Speedy recovery to Dave.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Yep! That's exactly how my left hand was, D.U.Dave. I was shocked when I saw my hand for the first time after the surgery. It was not a pretty sight! The scarring soon subsides. I was playing the uke again, within a couple of weeks, and now, nine years later, the hand still works perfectly.

Onward and upward!

John Colter.

Top Bottom