Concierto de Aranjuez Adagio - Ukulele Solo

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score

The Concierto de Aranjuez Adagio section of the guitar concerto by the Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo. Arranged for solo Ukulele and played on an aNuenue light Bird Tenor Ukulele with low G tuning.
This is such a beautiful piece of music and is very evocative of Spain.
I hope you all enjoy,
Mike

As you say Mike, this has always been a GREAT piece of music and your arrangement and playing of this is as first class as ever.
As we of the East End of London say - this is a 'right pucker jobbie'!
Well done buddy.

Very well done, excellent job!! Concierto de Aranjuez is one of my favorite jazz performances of all time as played by Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd and Roland Hanna. One of the comments on the performance call it sublime and there's really not a better word to describe it. The performance runs for almost 20 minutes but it's worth every single second of that time! If you haven't heard it yet I highly recommend you check it out.

Stunning.

We saw Sean Shribe perform it at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall a few weeks ago, it is a very special piece of music to my Wife and I as she made her entrance at our wedding to it.

Eye opening! It would never have occurred to me that the piece could be played on a ukulele, even by someone as skilled as Mike Holland. And skilled you are! The second movement, so evocative of life's losses and cathartic at at the same time has been a touchstone for me for years. Thanks for the enlightenment Mike!

As you say Mike, this has always been a GREAT piece of music and your arrangement and playing of this is as first class as ever.
As we of the East End of London say - this is a 'right pucker jobbie'!
Well done buddy.
Thanks again Dave, I really appreciate your comments!

Very well done, excellent job!! Concierto de Aranjuez is one of my favorite jazz performances of all time as played by Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd and Roland Hanna. One of the comments on the performance call it sublime and there's really not a better word to describe it. The performance runs for almost 20 minutes but it's worth every single second of that time! If you haven't heard it yet I highly recommend you check it out.

I had not heard this before but I spent the whole 20 minutes listening just now.........Great if not brilliant. Thanks for the heads up!

Stunning.

We saw Sean Shribe perform it at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall a few weeks ago, it is a very special piece of music to my Wife and I as she made her entrance at our wedding to it.
Sean Shribe is a good as it gets.....I can see why it is a very special piece of music if it was played at your wedding. Incidentally that used to be my day job playing guitar at weddings over in Yorkshire!

Brilliant playing! Thanks for posting such an amazing performance! :)
You are welcome!

Mike, this is a smashing performance and arrangement. It is every bit of the Mike Holland signature style!
Your music always make me think of flamenco dancing!
I really enjoyed it ! Your new uke sounds absolutely beautiful under those skilful hands!
Thank you Brenda......the new uke is really nice!

Eye opening! It would never have occurred to me that the piece could be played on a ukulele, even by someone as skilled as Mike Holland. And skilled you are! The second movement, so evocative of life's losses and cathartic at at the same time has been a touchstone for me for years. Thanks for the enlightenment Mike!
This is just such a great piece of music and so evocative of Spain!

Yes, this just goes to prove that virtually anything can be played on the humble uke! Absolutely marvelous playing & of course arranging Mike, bravo! :)
Thank you Campbell, Your comments are always very welcome!

Mike, I heard this over on FB but it was well worth another listen! Quite an opus...how do you like you new ukulele? How does it compare to your Ohana? Sounds great to my ears, maybe a little more brittle than what I remember of your usual sound though that might just be due to it's newness.

Mike, I heard this over on FB but it was well worth another listen! Quite an opus...how do you like you new ukulele? How does it compare to your Ohana? Sounds great to my ears, maybe a little more brittle than what I remember of your usual sound though that might just be due to it's newness.

Hi Laurence, Your hearing is spot on. It is very deceptive when you record an instrument. The Ohana like your Martin is all solid mahogany which appears to give this warm rich mid range tone which I really like. The aNuenue on the other hand is much louder and more strident. You can feel the instrument vibrate in your hands through its body and there is much more tonal range which is great when I play it. There are more overtones and with my basic recording equipment there is a slight harshness that I can hear somewhere in the treble range. I am sure I could hunt down the frequency and suppress it......! The Ohana is much quieter and when I record it is quite muddy so I have to EQ the muddy frequencies out or it sounds not too good. I have not used any EQ at all with the aNuenue. The mic is built into the camera and I am really looking for ease of recording so no messing about with mic placement etc! It is interesting because You are hearing the finished recording and thinking exactly the same as I am!
Mike

All the soloists on the Jim Hall track were excellent, but I thought Chet Baker's contribution was outstanding.

John Colter.

All the soloists on the Jim Hall track were excellent, but I thought Chet Baker's contribution was outstanding.

John Colter.

That album/recording had a stellar lineup of outstanding talent. I agree that all of the soloists were excellent. Chet Baker really added to that Spanish flavor. I always loved Paul Desmond's alto sound. I think his sound added more depth and an added dimension to the song, kind of a wistfulness. Even though it's almost 20 minutes long you kind of don't want it to end.

Last edited:

I'm a sucker for well-played instrumentals. I heard that clip and immediately went out and purchased the whole album. Thanks for the recommendation!

Whenever I visit this site, first thing I do is looking for video uploads from my favourite players . You turned ukulele into a serious music instrument. I thank-you for that. Beautifully played.

Last edited:
Top Bottom