Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukes in Libraries

Default Ukes in Libraries

If you subscribe to Ukulele Unlimited magazine (and why wouldn't you?) you can read an article about libraries lending ukuleles and hosting uke groups ("Check It Out: Ukes Are Circulating in Libraries," by Heidi Swedberg) The last section, "Grace period," tells the story of how my group got started - Catskill Ukulele Group.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

My Ventura group at the E.P. Foster Library is also mentioned.
    Keep Strummin'

How common is it for libraries to lend ukuleles? How long can you keep them if you check them out? Or can you only use them in the library?

I don't think my local library does this, but I admit that I mostly get digital books from the library these days, so I don't go there often.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    How common is it for libraries to lend ukuleles? How long can you keep them if you check them out? Or can you only use them in the library? I don't think my local library does this, but I admit that I mostly get digital books from the library these days, so I don't go there often.
    I heard about it by Heidi and Daniel on a segment of the Ooktown podcast., the LA Public Library is making a concerted effort to provide ukuleles. You should be able to find out about it online.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    If you subscribe to Ukulele Unlimited magazine (and why wouldn't you?) you can read an article about libraries lending ukuleles and hosting uke groups ("Check It Out: Ukes Are Circulating in Libraries," by Heidi Swedberg) The last section, "Grace period," tells the story of how my group got started - Catskill Ukulele Group.
    Nice article.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    How common is it for libraries to lend ukuleles? How long can you keep them if you check them out? Or can you only use them in the library?

I don't think my local library does this, but I admit that I mostly get digital books from the library these days, so I don't go there often.
    In our area, most libraries have them. When newcomers attend our meetings, they sometimes borrow a uke for the night. I suppose the borrow time is the same as for a book - two weeks (?).

763664D8-953A-4224-9CB6-61B6DDBE7317.jpgOur local library here in rural Ontario has a beginner and intermediate uke group meeting once a week with ukes to lend. That is when it isn’t snowed-out.

Photo just taken. Grrr

*Kaniléa K1-T 2018 natural *Koaloha KTM-00 2019 *Kaniléa KSE-T 2019 premium gloss *Kaniléa K1-C 2019 natural
    *Kaniléa Paua Abalone Concert 2018 gloss

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckulele View Post
    763664D8-953A-4224-9CB6-61B6DDBE7317.jpgOur local library here in rural Ontario has a beginner and intermediate uke group meeting once a week with ukes to lend. That is when it isn’t snowed-out.

Photo just taken. Grrr
    By the middle of May, snow shouldn't be much of a problem.

Good screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckulele View Post

Photo just taken. Grrr
    I find it interesting that a local library has a ukulele loaner plan. When one has a ukulele that they no longer, has anyone ever considered donating to their library?
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila

CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Lacole View Post
    I find it interesting that a local library has a ukulele loaner plan. When one has a ukulele that they no longer, has anyone ever considered donating to their library?
    Yes, many of them are donations.

Thread Information