Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romero Creations ST Concert laminate (Solid Spruce top /Mahogany laminate body)

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    I hope now that they have only gone to solid wood, that they start to mix up things with a few new wood combinations.
    I heard a rumour, still to be substantiated, that they are actually launching an *all laminate" Daniel Ho budget line to be sold as a package (uke, strap, tuner, booklet, case, etc.) for new uke learners. Danile posted images of the boxed uke on FB, but there were no details on materials.

If true, it looks like they're going for two lines -- real entry level uke (that probably sounds better than most), and the solid wook "serious" ukes... I for one love the Solid/Laminate combo as a cheapish but great-sounding everyday traveller.

I'll post again if I get additional details or clarification on this...

Current Stable:

Soprano:
    Kala travel uke (spruce & mahogany) (KA-SSTU)
    Concert:
    Romero Creations ST Concert (Spruce & Mahogany)
    Gold Tone Banjo Ukulele (BU-1) - Open Back
    Tenor:
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (Spruce & Mahogany)
    Kala Spruce-Ovangkol (KA-ASOV-T)
    Blackbird Farallon (Tobacco Sunburst)

Banjos:
    Pisgah Dobson Rambler 12" pot

PM me if you'd like to be in touch...

Quote Originally Posted by jimafornia View Post
    I switched the tenor to re-entrant and it still sounded great, but switched it back because none of my tenors could match its sound with low g.
    That's what I'm planning to do. The TT sounds *superb* strung low-g...

Current Stable:

Soprano:
    Kala travel uke (spruce & mahogany) (KA-SSTU)
    Concert:
    Romero Creations ST Concert (Spruce & Mahogany)
    Gold Tone Banjo Ukulele (BU-1) - Open Back
    Tenor:
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (Spruce & Mahogany)
    Kala Spruce-Ovangkol (KA-ASOV-T)
    Blackbird Farallon (Tobacco Sunburst)

Banjos:
    Pisgah Dobson Rambler 12" pot

PM me if you'd like to be in touch...

Uke Republic showed them on Friday Facebook post--299 for all mahogany laminate. I'm curious about quality control. For the same price, I'd much rather have the solid top model without the other stuff.

RC site shows the RC-ST-L laminate. Yes, $299 with the box with Daniel on it and all the goodies. Probably a great starter pack. I d rather have solid top and less stuff as I have a ton of straps, tuners, cord charts etc. But I get what they are doing. Listen to the videos on RC site. I was surprised how sweet the all laminate RC-ST-L laminate concert sounded. RC biggest issue IMHO has been supply. I have to buy on line. It’s a crap shoot I’d love to walk into a Uke shop with a bunch of TT and ST concerts and try the different models and wood. For my TT solid top, HMS did a great set up. I later bought some files to smooth and po,ish the fret ends. Now, the Uke I pick up the most out of a custom tenor that sounds better, two Pono’s with nicer wood and a laminate Fluke. All get plat but love the TT shape. Now, super curious to okay the ST.

The lower priced line is made in a different factory and there are a few wrinkles to smooth out. I played a "budget" RC at HMS this weekend and it missed the mark with setup problems and funky tone. On the other hand, the made in Vietnam mahogany and tenor Replica tenors sounded and played great (and should for the additional Benjamins).

Good to know. My TT solid top is excellent. Maybe I got lucky but set up was excellent as is tone. I do like all solid wood so will have to play one and see. I won’t write off the all laminate ST concert but am advised. For me the ST in any form has just got to feel and sound good when played. Otherwise I’m good with TT. I’d like to play all the TT wood combos so perhaps that’s my mission. I do really like the shape and feel.

Indeed, that is a perilous mission. I took it on and ended up with four Romero Creations instruments within 6 months. One thing I noticed with the Vietnam nut setup is the string grooves are often too deep and snug. Once you grind off the excess nut height so the string protrudes 1/3 to 1/3 from the groove and widen the groove, the tone really opens up.

Thread Information