Season #376 ~ Ukin’ Together

Was hoping to get something done with Charlie this week but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. May get something done with brother Ivan.
Here is a one taker for option 3...

Our host and Jon Duncan have worked some ukulele magic on a traditional Northumbrian Air, The Wild Hills O' Wannies. I took my original video and added the new audio.

This ones probably as raw as it gets, a windy day on a garden allotment with my neighbour and fellow dog walker Rachael, the background noises including a woman yabbering on her mobile phone comes with territory of playing in public places unfortunately grrrrrr

I wrote this one about 6 months ago for Gina’s season 343 (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly) but was a little worried that the pics I used of Clint Eastwood might infringe copyright. I asked John ‘One Man And His Uke’ if he might be able to do some simple pics to use instead but he was a busy boy at the time and asked me to leave it with him. How lucky that he finished them just a couple of days ago in time for Kevin’s fantastic season!!! And how utterly bowled over I was by the brilliance of them! What a talented chap he is!!!

I’ve added some extra percussion and vocal stuff to the song for added spaghetti western authenticity!

So here it is - my music and John’s fabulous artwork:

Last edited:
First off inwanna give Kevin a big shout out for this week. He's been putting the hours in big time not only with the full-time job of managing a season but also contributing to so many collaborations. He's been emailing me back and forth at all hours trying to get this one done and I imagine he's done that for everyone else too.

I reached out to Kevin earlier this week because I thought its the perfect song for this season. Most of you will know i love Courtney Barnett, I also really like Kurt Vile too, so I was stoked when a couple years ago they got together for an album. That album was spawned in much the same way as this season has gone. Kurt wrote a song, thought it would be perfect for Courtney, reached out to her and they traded files until they both had time to hit the studio.

I'm playing rhythm on my Snail concert, Kevin adds some gorgeous lead on his Monkey Wrench electric, and we've both layered it up with my Korala concert and his Jonathan Mann Baritone. We're both really stoked about how it's turned out.

Another with my brother Ivan.

Surely the only season to ever have two cello uke collabs!

After a few run throughs both the vids were recorded in one take to my phone.

Last edited:
A German-Finnish long distance collab: kolibri and crisscross doing Astridin Valssi:

Jon & Joo are really going above & beyond this week, and I added to their to-do list when I sent them my basic recording of this song. In my head I could hear Jon adding some subtle uke and a harmony or two. And that's exactly what came back. To say I'm delighted with what he did would be a bit of an understatement.

The medieval line drawings come from a book that he & Joo have, and Joo switched them to white on black, so thanks to her too for helping out.

The song was written by Goebel Reeves in the 1930s, and later recorded by Woody Guthrie amongst others.

Leunig's Prayer #10 (Thanks for the invention of the wheelbarrow)

After listening to Joo and Jon I went looking for more Leunig prayers
and I set number 10 to music with a Faux diggerdon't for accompaniment.
The only way you can classify this as a collab is that I took Leunig's
words and set a tune to them. Many of his prayers are about gardens
and being a gardener this prayer appealed to me the most.
If anybody want to do some more overlays then you are quite welcome.

Dear God,

We rejoice and give thanks for earthworms,
bees, ladybirds and broody hens;
for humans tending their gardens, talking to animals,
cleaning their homes and singing to themselves;
for rising of the sap, the fragrance of growth,
the invention of the wheelbarrow and the existence of the teapot,
we give thanks. We celebrate and give thanks.

Amen.

Probably should have done this years ago, but Mel and I bashed out this one earlier in the week and sent it off to Jon to work some magic. End result is pretty darn cool I think.
Waiting Around To Die- Townes Van Zandt

Another long-distance collaboration, this time with EmmaX from...??(Forgot to ask)
For Season 374 I spoke a William-Shatner-Version of Joe Dassin's Oh Champs-Elysées.
But I learned, that the original is in English: Waterloo Road.
Emma X was so nice, as to sing it very beautifully...

Several times a year our jam does a performance for the folks at my wife's adult day center. (We go there every Christmas, and other times when we can get together during the day.) The participants mainly are elderly or have physical or cognitive disabilities. We always have a great time, and the staff and participants sing along and sometimes dance. We try to stick to familiar numbers as much as possible.

For jon's benefit -- the harmonica player, George Douglas, is the father of Matt Douglas, who's been with the Mountain Goats over the past few years!

Last edited:
Good idea for a Season's theme Kevin. Unfortunately I didn't record anything the past couple of weeks when I was in the desert with people to play with. You'll have to settle for a birthday song instead. Today would have been Pete Seeger's 100th...

Happy Birthday to you as well Kevin

mighty synth god :bowdown: del very kindly added his magic to this homemade song of mine - i sing and play tenor guitar, and plink a little on a soprano uke, for luck, and del brings keyboard gold and a lovely vocal harmony...

"oh baby you make me cry"

Top Bottom