NUD: Kinnard

Slade

Reaction score
I’m always trying to slim down my collection, only keeping the best sounding to my ear. But I get rid of one then buy two. My latest is a Kinnard. I don’t even have it yet and I’m already looking for the second one. I think I have a disease. Anyways, this will be my first Kinnard and it intrigued me because it has a fret zero. I once owned a uke that had a fret zero and it had the lowest action and the loudest volume out of my collection. I should receive it on Wednesday. Anyone else have a Kinnard or fans of fret zero?

My Kinnard Series 2 tenor doesn't have a zero fret. Wonderful instrument.

My Moodyville Gypsy Jazz tenor by Shelly D Park does. To be honest, I really can't tell what the zero fret adds to the sound or string height.

My Iriguchi has a zero fret. It makes for a pretty smooth action

Congratulations on the incoming Kinnard. Please post pictures once you have received it. I've owned two Kinnards and neither had a zero fret,. was not aware Kinnard offered that. I own three LfdM and they always come with a zero fret. Luis the builder explained the advantage was in setting the action and it works for all different diameter strings. You can go from high G to low G, fat to skinny with no adjustment.

Enjoy your new Kinnard. What woods?
I have a concert Kinnard but no zero fret. It is, however, the best ukulele I've ever had the chance to play.
I hope you feel the same about yours.

I’m not challenging anything but wish to know if there’s any disadvantage of zero fret. I tend to think that if the zero fret is not done properly, meaning if too high or too low for the specific player, you can’t adjust it at all. Unlike a bone nut. Jmho

I like the zero-fret concept simply because it appears to eliminate the traditional concerns about whether the nut has been "slotted" precisely. With the zero fret, the "end point" of the string is the zero fret itself, rather than the nut, and the nut then serves simply as a guide or "channel" for the strings as they make their way up to the tuning gears. On my ukes that have the zero fret, I tend to experience good intonation, and the open notes ring with the same tone as the fretted notes. I don't want to stir up a hornets' nest, as I realize there can be differing points of view on this, but honestly I can't think of any reason not to incorporate the zero-fret into uke construction. I am all ears to be corrected/educated, however!

I like the zero-fret concept simply because it appears to eliminate the traditional concerns about whether the nut has been "slotted" precisely. With the zero fret, the "end point" of the string is the zero fret itself, rather than the nut, and the nut then serves simply as a guide or "channel" for the strings as they make their way up to the tuning gears. On my ukes that have the zero fret, I tend to experience good intonation, and the open notes ring with the same tone as the fretted notes. I don't want to stir up a hornets' nest, as I realize there can be differing points of view on this, but honestly I can't think of any reason not to incorporate the zero-fret into uke construction. I am all ears to be corrected/educated, however!

Thanks for the info.
Congrats, Slade!

Another thanks. Ditto on the information about the zero fret. I have a list of questions for custom builds. And will add zero fret to the list.

Only other uke I have played with zero fret is a LfDM. The action was really low and on point and it didn’t sacrifice the sound. For those who’ve played LfDM’s, they sound beautiful and the sound is booming. I don’t have much experience with zero fret but what I know, I really like. My Kinnard arrives on Wednesday and I’m going to do a sound comparison on the Kinnard vs. LfDM.

Cool wood selections. Very envious! Enjoy and def post pics!

Congratulations on your new Kinnard. I look forward to hearing how it sounds. I like the concept of zero fret, but I wonder why more builders don’t do it?
I would have thought it was a no brainier for factory Ukes to get a good and consistent playable action at the nut.
I can’t think of why anyone would want a higher action at the nut? Maybe slide?

Do you have your new Kinnard now?
I'm wondering what you think about that zero fret. (And the Kinnard!)

I do have it, but it’s being returned. Not because of the zero fret. It just doesn’t sound that great. I purchased two ukuleles and they both arrived the same day. The other uke is a TyDe. The Kinnard was double the price but the TyDe blew it away in tone. I just couldn’t see spending that much on a ukulele and it sounding that bad. And I’m not trying to bag on Kinnard. It’s a beautiful instrument but not for me.

Thai's too bad that you didn't like the Kinnard, but good that you can return it.
What did you think of the zero fret?

Surprised on the Kinnard tone. Was it a "stock" or custom ordered? Assume custom orders are usually nonreturnable.

It was a 2018 custom order built for Kimo Hussey. I would of been the second owner.

Top Bottom