My Ukulele Build

Brett S.

Reaction score
Hi everybody. This is my first post.

I joined here a bit ago, as my ukulele project was getting started, but haven't posted anything yet. I'm building a tenor ukulele.

My back and side woods are Honey Locust, also the neck. The top is Douglas Fir, and the fingerboard and bridge are Granadillo.

Everything is going really well so far. I have an excellent full size plan I am working from. I really don't have any issues or questions as of yet. I do have experience building a few guitars, so this is all not completely new to me.

I may have some questions soon about bridge placement coming up soon. I haven't yet decided on binding treatment or finish yet, but I tend to keep things simple, so probably a basic wood binding will be all.

There's quite a bit left to do, but I'm getting excited about seeing and hearing for the first time this finished ukulele. Also, I'll have to learn how to play it. :p

Here's a link to pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/pjVGkpXZE4JvwRq18

Okay, had to put the project away for a bit, but got back at it this week.

And, I had a major catastrophe. Started out to cut a mortise in the uke body. I haven't yet glued on the back, which made this even more tricky, as the body still has a lot of flex with only the front attached. I was drilling holes with a Forstner bit, on my drill press. Made a dumb mistake, and the bit grabbed and tore a piece of the soundboard off, all the way to the soundhole.

But the good news is, after the cursing stopped, and I regained some calm, I realized all of this would be concealed under the fingerboard, and I was able to glue it all back together quite neatly, and the only visible part will be a tiny spot by the hole, which just looks like a slightly darker grain line. So, phheww!

Neck is now very close to final fit, and I'm working on getting the binding around the top. I bought a cheap laminate trimmer yesterday which does a really nice job cutting the binding ledge.IMG_20190515_101332702_HDR.jpg

Thanks for sharing Brett, and I appreciate your honesty.
I heard a story about a guy, building his 1st uke.
While he was buffing the finish out, it slipped away, and the buffer crashed it into a wall, smashing it.
All he said was "S--t"

It's finished. Well, maybe I'll get around to giving it some wax.

Honey Locust back, sides, and neck. Douglas Fir top. Granadillo FB, bridge, and heel cap. Cherry bindings. Spruce braces, and mahogany head and tail block and linings. Bone nut and saddle.

Rubbed out shellac finish.

There are some flaws and there were plenty mistakes. Mistakes are teachers. I was able to recover from the mistakes well enough, and this is the result. It sounds very sweet and I'm pleased. I am a guitar player, so am just now learning uke chords and technique, but think I'm already hooked.

Full picture gallery here. Pretty sure I'll be doing this again. Even had a discussion about building and selling one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pjVGkpXZE4JvwRq18

IMG_20190524_181029661_HDR.jpgIMG_20190524_181108585.jpgIMG_20190524_181047304_HDR.jpg

It looks great, congratulations

Your side bender is very interesting. How is the smaller pipe fitted? (Dimensions?). I use a larger pipe clamped in my vice with propane heat aimed inside.. works great,
but I like your design.

Your side bender is very interesting. How is the smaller pipe fitted? (Dimensions?). I use a larger pipe clamped in my vice with propane heat aimed inside.. works great,
but I like your design.

The smaller pipe is about 1.25 inches. I drilled and tapped a bolt to hold it, but it never stayed tight, nor did the bigger one, so I started dreaming about a new set-up and this is what I came up with (in another thread I just started). https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...-My-New-Bending-Pipe(s)&p=2198060#post2198060

Top Bottom