Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member here, need a ukulele tune

The bar chord version of Ain’t She Sweet takes you up to the 9th fret, so that’s a good one. I’ll try to find it online, or will PM my paper version if I can’t.
    Guitar riffs are also fun and would have picking and strumming options: http://ukulelehunt.com/guitar-riffs-for-ukulele/
    Last edited by Anthroterra; 04-30-2019 at 06:28 AM.

UAS Symptoms:
    Beansprout #346 walnut/cedar - alto
    Mya Moe #2150 walnut resonator - tenor
    G-String CST1 custom koa - tenor
    G-String CB semi-custom koa - tenor
    Deering Goodtime banjolele - tenor
    Risa Les Paul steel-string electric - tenor
    Risa Uke Solid - tenor
    Asonu whale-shaped Tahitian - concert
    Outdoor Ukulele - soprano
    Kala KA-SA-B - baritone
    Kala UBass
    Ohana O'Nino
    Fluke

Not exciting to play, but maybe a good idea to test out possible new ukuleles: scales. Even if you don't currently play up the neck, (not sure if you do or not), if you played a couple scales and played up the neck, you'd be able to get an idea of intonation up the neck, which sometimes can be a problem on ukuleles, IMO.

Otherwise, I personally would stick with something that I like to play, since that's the type of thing you'd probably be playing when you get that new ukulele home. It would give you an idea of how the ukulele sounds, what the action is like, how the neck feels for you, and if you're having fun with the ukulele.

Whatever you decide to play, have a great time.

A second vote for playing some scales, or at least going up the neck fret by fret. Also, just barring all 4 strings and playing open as you go up the fingerboard will tell you something about sound, fretting and intonation. Aside from that, play what you like! Your ears are accustomed to hearing what you usually play and that will help you hear the differences between various ukes. I envy your shopping trip!
    Robert Edney
    Robert@ElixirViolins.com

Much more interested in playing the ukulele than making violins just now...

I like the version of Ain’t Misbehavin’ in The Daily Ukulele book. The trickiest chord change for me in it is from F to fm (1013). Below is my crude attempt to write it out. Chord name followed by - means strum for four beats, all other chords get two strums. Omit the E7 chord on the last play through (3rd ending).

C - dm G7
    C C7 F fm
    C am dm G7
    (1st ending) E7 A7 D7 G7 :||
    (2nd/3rd ending) C fm C E7 (Fine)
    (Bridge)
    am - F - am - A7 -
    G - am D7 G7 A7 D7 G7 (DC al Fine)
    Last edited by YogiTom; 04-30-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Not exciting to play, but maybe a good idea to test out possible new ukuleles: scales. Even if you don't currently play up the neck, (not sure if you do or not), if you played a couple scales and played up the neck, you'd be able to get an idea of intonation up the neck, which sometimes can be a problem on ukuleles, IMO.

Otherwise, I personally would stick with something that I like to play, since that's the type of thing you'd probably be playing when you get that new ukulele home. It would give you an idea of how the ukulele sounds, what the action is like, how the neck feels for you, and if you're having fun with the ukulele.

Whatever you decide to play, have a great time.
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Not exciting to play, but maybe a good idea to test out possible new ukuleles: scales. Even if you don't currently play up the neck, (not sure if you do or not), if you played a couple scales and played up the neck, you'd be able to get an idea of intonation up the neck, which sometimes can be a problem on ukuleles, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Good idea.
    As the great Rafael Mιndez (my hero) said of learning to play trumpet, the key is to play “scales, scales, and more scales”. It really seems to apply to any instrument, and I’ll third the recommendation on practicing scales.

For those interested, Mr. Mιndez did a fantastic series of instructional videos that have survived on YouTube. Quote above appears around 0:23 in the video below.

Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

One thing I often do when I pick up a uke is strum a few times on C, Am, F, G7. It's a nice combination that's been used in thousands of songs.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Wow thank you all for your suggestions and thanks Brad for the invite. Maybe next time. With my wife doing a lot of the vacation planning and a kid in tow, it would have been hard to get to you.

I liked the idea of playing scales, I tried some of the songs, and settled on what I usually play. It turned out to be bits and pieces from Over the rainbow, some Disney songs, and something I picked up from a group ukulele lesson at the hotel. But honestly when I got to the serious ukuleles, I sort of flubbed it and suddenly couldn't play. I guess it was the grandeur of ukuleles that I only read about and was suddenly playing, maybe the smell of the Koa got to me, or something. Either way, I was just strumming along and all was good. I played a lot of the song I heard at the hotel.

I went to Scotty's and spent some time there trying out all sorts of sizes and makers. Kevika gave me a little history lesson about some of the Hawaiian makers and what to look for. It was a wonderful experience and he was helpful in narrowing it down. I tried many and ended up getting a Kamaka Soprano. Simple, lovely, and so very Hawaiian. It sounds sweet and smooth and I love playing it. I can't recommend Scotty's enough. Kevika even gave my daughter a kazoo to keep her busy while I strummed away on the ukuleles. I had a great time and came away with a very wonderful instrument.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Barry Maz did a tutorial on the songs he always plays for his reviews.
    I'll want to look for that - what was the video called, as near as you can remember? There's one he plays a lot that I'd like to work on learning.
    Cordoba guilele
    Rebel N.E.O. tenor
    Birger Huber Baritone

Got A Ukulele Beginners Tips - How To Play Those Songs On The Review Videos!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkk9CXQ1AZU
    Last edited by bf_; 06-28-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Adding link

Thread Information