New member here, need a ukulele tune

beanie

Reaction score
I'm a newbie here, and have been playing for a couple years. I'll be traveling to Hawaii to the island of Kauai pretty soon and intend to try out ukuleles when I get the chance.

I hear these little quick riffs/tunes on the internet, like when looking at ukulele reviews. Where do these come from and where can I find one to play? I need something with a good range of chords, all strumming, and with no singing. I'm still a beginner, but comfortable playing most basic chords. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quick ukulele-tryout song? Or do I just make one up?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for stores in Kauai to visit I would appreciate hearing about them. I'm vacationing there and hoping to find a Hawaiian made uke that wants to come home.

Steve

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for stores in Kauai to visit I would appreciate hearing about them. I'm vacationing there and hoping to find a Hawaiian made uke that wants to come home.

Scotty's across from Walmart in Lihue is one of the best stores on all the islands. Definitely worth a visit. Enjoy your trip.

Barry Maz did a tutorial on the songs he always plays for his reviews. Can't say I learned it as I hear it way to much as it is! :p
(although I keep coming back to hear it again)

Larry's Music in Kapa'a is full of Kamoa ukes if you ever wanted to try those out. And a second vote for Scotty's.

Find a beginner song book and take your pick. I have a "go to" that I learned that way but can't remember the name of it (Ka'ua O'a?).

The free UU videos (white board sessions, etc.) can be useful too.

Barry Maz did a tutorial on the songs he always plays for his reviews. Can't say I learned it as I hear it way to much as it is! :p
(although I keep coming back to hear it again)

Larry's Music in Kapa'a is full of Kamoa ukes if you ever wanted to try those out. And a second vote for Scotty's.

I think it is best to play the songs YOU normally play, as this will give a better comparison with what you have and give a better indication of the sound YOU will get from that particular instrument.

Aloha Steve, as a custom ukulele builder on Kauai, I always enjoy having visitors drop by my shop and talk story about all things ukulele. As a resident I can fill you in on all the island’s ukulele stores and local builders as well as the local features. Kekaha is at the base of Waimea Canyon on the Wild West side of Kauai. Easiest way to contact me is by email.
Brad

I think it is best to play the songs YOU normally play, as this will give a better comparison with what you have and give a better indication of the sound YOU will get from that particular instrument.

Yeah, good point, best to stick with what you'll be playing as that will give you a better idea of what you're getting. If you're happy with strumming, that's good enough. If you think you might want to progress into finger style someday, it's good to learn a simple picking riff you like as some ukes sound great strummed but so-so finger picked, or vice versa.

Youtube is your friend. Endless ukulele tutorials.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/our-essential-kauai-playlist

1. “Nani Kauai” by Amy Hanaialii
This traditional Hawaiian language song about “beautiful Kauai” names many of the geological features that make her so, including Mount Waialeale and Nohili, or Barking Sands beach.

2. “Wade In Your Water” by Common Kings
With roots in Hawaii, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, reggae-pop group Common Kings embodies the diverse sounds of Island culture. This catchy, feel-good love song will have you grooving in your seat as you drive to your next adventure.

3. “Hanalei Moon” by Dennis Pavao
At any time of day, but especially by moonlight, the crescent-shaped Hanalei Bay is a dreamy setting. Skirted by green, waterfall-soaked mountains, this two-mile long beach is well deserving of its own anthem.

4. “Deep In An Ancient Hawaiian Forest” by Makana
If you’re looking to meditate or bliss out during a beach yoga session, put on this mystical, melodious track by Hawaii-born slack-key guitarist Makana.

5. “Blue Hawaii” by Elvis Presley
This song will take you back to the heyday of Hawaii’s original Hollywood playground: The Coco Palms Resort. It’s where Elvis Presley’s character wed in the 1961 film “Blue Hawaii.” And good news, decades after Hurricane Iniki shuttered the famous Kauai resort in 1992, the hotel is finally being redeveloped.

6. “Every Little Thing” by J Boog, featuring Fiji
This festive, upbeat jam by one of Hawaii’s top reggae artists couples perfectly with a mai tai and a beach chair.

7. “Lilikoi” by Paula Fuga
Hawaii’s Paula Fuga is a soulful reggae-rock songwriter who plays the ukulele and occasionally sings in Hawaiian. This sweet song about the local passion fruit is from her self-produced debut album by the same name.

8. “Nohili E” by Makaha Sons of Niihau
This “merry tune for the heart” is a traditional Hawaiian song performed in the elegant Hawaiian language about the remote Polihale State Park, nestled against the island’s rugged cliffs.

9. “On a Coconut Island” by Louis Armstrong
On an island where the county planning code dictates that no building may stand taller than the tallest coconut tree, this song about the romantic, lazy days spent by a pair of castaways is sure to put you in full Kauai relaxation mode.

10. “Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World” by Israel Kamakawiwoole
This Hawaiian-style rendition of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” by the late, great Hawaiian singer Israel “Bruddah Iz” Kamakawiwoole will have you feeling grateful that the planet includes such an awe-inspiring place like Kauai.

11. “Nawiliwili” by Chan Abenes
The song for many hula performances, this upbeat tune about Kauai demands a falsetto range and a backyard luau.

12. “Hanohano Hanalei” by Alfred Alohikea
Alfred Alohikea was born in Waipio Valley on Hawaii Island in the late 1880s, but the composer and baritone singer spent most of his life in Hanalei, Kauai. He’s best known today as the composer laureate of the Garden Isle and “Hanohano Hanalei,” is an ode to the north shore town.

13. “Beach In Hawaii” by Ziggy Marley
This contemplative slow jam by the Grammy Award-winning reggae artist and son of Bob Marley is best enjoyed as the pink Hawaiian sun dips into the sea.

14. “Aloha Oe (Farewell To Thee)” by Felix Mendelssohn and his Hawaiian Serenaders
As you make your way toward Lihue Airport’s departure gates, find solace in Hawaii’s iconic parting song. Composed by Queen Liliuokalani, Hawaii’s last reigning monarch, and performed by numerous artists ranging from Tia Carrere to Johnny Cash, the song promises that the pain of separation is only temporary or “until we meet again.”

The bar chord version of Ain’t She Sweet takes you up to the 9th fret, so that’s a good one. I’ll try to find it online, or will PM my paper version if I can’t.
Guitar riffs are also fun and would have picking and strumming options: http://ukulelehunt.com/guitar-riffs-for-ukulele/

Last edited:
Not exciting to play, but maybe a good idea to test out possible new ukuleles: scales. Even if you don't currently play up the neck, (not sure if you do or not), if you played a couple scales and played up the neck, you'd be able to get an idea of intonation up the neck, which sometimes can be a problem on ukuleles, IMO.

Otherwise, I personally would stick with something that I like to play, since that's the type of thing you'd probably be playing when you get that new ukulele home. It would give you an idea of how the ukulele sounds, what the action is like, how the neck feels for you, and if you're having fun with the ukulele.

Whatever you decide to play, have a great time.

A second vote for playing some scales, or at least going up the neck fret by fret. Also, just barring all 4 strings and playing open as you go up the fingerboard will tell you something about sound, fretting and intonation. Aside from that, play what you like! Your ears are accustomed to hearing what you usually play and that will help you hear the differences between various ukes. I envy your shopping trip!

I like the version of Ain’t Misbehavin’ in The Daily Ukulele book. The trickiest chord change for me in it is from F to fm (1013). Below is my crude attempt to write it out. Chord name followed by - means strum for four beats, all other chords get two strums. Omit the E7 chord on the last play through (3rd ending).

C - dm G7
C C7 F fm
C am dm G7
(1st ending) E7 A7 D7 G7 :||
(2nd/3rd ending) C fm C E7 (Fine)
(Bridge)
am - F - am - A7 -
G - am D7 G7 A7 D7 G7 (DC al Fine)

Last edited:
Not exciting to play, but maybe a good idea to test out possible new ukuleles: scales. Even if you don't currently play up the neck, (not sure if you do or not), if you played a couple scales and played up the neck, you'd be able to get an idea of intonation up the neck, which sometimes can be a problem on ukuleles, IMO.

Otherwise, I personally would stick with something that I like to play, since that's the type of thing you'd probably be playing when you get that new ukulele home. It would give you an idea of how the ukulele sounds, what the action is like, how the neck feels for you, and if you're having fun with the ukulele.

Whatever you decide to play, have a great time.

Good idea.

Not exciting to play, but maybe a good idea to test out possible new ukuleles: scales. Even if you don't currently play up the neck, (not sure if you do or not), if you played a couple scales and played up the neck, you'd be able to get an idea of intonation up the neck, which sometimes can be a problem on ukuleles, IMO

Good idea.

As the great Rafael Méndez (my hero) said of learning to play trumpet, the key is to play “scales, scales, and more scales”. It really seems to apply to any instrument, and I’ll third the recommendation on practicing scales.

For those interested, Mr. Méndez did a fantastic series of instructional videos that have survived on YouTube. Quote above appears around 0:23 in the video below.

Wow thank you all for your suggestions and thanks Brad for the invite. Maybe next time. With my wife doing a lot of the vacation planning and a kid in tow, it would have been hard to get to you.

I liked the idea of playing scales, I tried some of the songs, and settled on what I usually play. It turned out to be bits and pieces from Over the rainbow, some Disney songs, and something I picked up from a group ukulele lesson at the hotel. But honestly when I got to the serious ukuleles, I sort of flubbed it and suddenly couldn't play. I guess it was the grandeur of ukuleles that I only read about and was suddenly playing, maybe the smell of the Koa got to me, or something. Either way, I was just strumming along and all was good. I played a lot of the song I heard at the hotel.

I went to Scotty's and spent some time there trying out all sorts of sizes and makers. Kevika gave me a little history lesson about some of the Hawaiian makers and what to look for. It was a wonderful experience and he was helpful in narrowing it down. I tried many and ended up getting a Kamaka Soprano. Simple, lovely, and so very Hawaiian. It sounds sweet and smooth and I love playing it. I can't recommend Scotty's enough. Kevika even gave my daughter a kazoo to keep her busy while I strummed away on the ukuleles. I had a great time and came away with a very wonderful instrument.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Barry Maz did a tutorial on the songs he always plays for his reviews.

I'll want to look for that - what was the video called, as near as you can remember? There's one he plays a lot that I'd like to work on learning.

Top Bottom