Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good ways to break out of a rut?

Default Good ways to break out of a rut?

I was playing around this weekend and have felt kind of stuck in the same mode for a while...I find myself noodling around on the same old things on both uke and guitar. On Saturday however, I discovered this list of 99 random songs on Ukutabs: https://ukutabs.com/top-tabs/99-random/

I swear I spent about 3-4 hours each day this weekend working my way through songs on the list, refreshing the 99 songs and finding the 8-10 or so per round that I really enjoyed listening to and thought I could tackle in my range. It totally broke up my complacency and I feel really empowered to learn more!

What have you all used to shake up your routine and break out of a rut?
    -Ben

KoAloha Pineapple Sunday 6 String
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    1928 Harmony Johnny Marvin
    Ohana TK-39
    c. 1970's Hikare Baritone
    Gretsch G9100
    Outdoor Ukulele Soprano #43

Videos

Thanks! That's quite an assortment of songs.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thanks Ben, my playlist could use a good shake up right about now too. I'll be checking this out.
    Glenn

I’m quite fond of The Daily Ukulele books for the same reason: plenty of songs and levels of difficulty to keep me playing something new all the time.

And it has been mentioned in other threads, but Daniel Ward’s Arpeggio Meditations is a nice way to play around.

And then there is practicing scale patterns. Or try writing the tab for a song to learn it better. The list goes on!

I was originally a trumpet player, and there are some great practice exercises (Clarke, Arban, Schlossberg to name a few) that I’ve been working on transcribing for practicing on the ukulele.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Prior to joining a few uke groups, I used to play along to a variety of music styles. Main reason is that I'm lazy & hate to practice.

They included: Frank Sinatra, James taylor, Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, Stevie wonder, led zep, Larry Carlton, elton John, Gwen Stefani, Christine Aguilera, billy idol, nirvana, eagles, hall & oates, arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Joe Tex, Sam & dave, Moby grape, america, the zombies, the fixx & lots of others. Helps with adjusting your playing style to match the music.
    Last edited by ampeep; 04-29-2019 at 03:16 PM.

You can find a million more lyric sheets of better quality on: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ (just look for the highest rated version). Copy/paste makes it really easy to create material on the web. Just sayin'... (Full Ukutabs politics here.)

For me, I've always been most inspired by fresh musical ideas as far from my "norm" as possible. This usually ends up being guitar material in my case. Lesson DVDs from the Hotlicks series are fabulous. I'd also recommend jamming along to recordings. Just noodle. Figure out the melody, the chords, a solo, etc... Great ear training and hard work that's 100% worth it.

I wrote about this a bunch of years ago. Might be interesting, but it probably is in desperate need of a refresh: https://liveukulele.com/lessons/soul...g-inspiration/.
    Brad Bordessa

My guide to fretting and fingering (NEW): Left Hand Technique for 'Ukulele

play with other people, guitar, piano, violin, etc,

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    I was originally a trumpet player, and there are some great practice exercises (Clarke, Arban, Schlossberg to name a few) that I’ve been working on transcribing for practicing on the ukulele.
    You just made me realize I don't think I'll ever be able to play my old flute exercises on ukulele. Certainly not at the tempo I played them. And here I thought I was becoming adequate.

For me, the weekly Seasons of the Ukulele challenge is a good incitement to learn new songs.

I dont thing I could play through 99 random chord sheets. Dont have the time. And the time I have, I prefer to spend on songs I know I want to learn.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    You just made me realize I don't think I'll ever be able to play my old flute exercises on ukulele. Certainly not at the tempo I played them. And here I thought I was becoming adequate.
    My goal in my musical life has been to learn the trumpet solo for The Carnival of Venice, on whatever instrument I can. Something tells me I may never get there, but goals are important.

Here’s one of my trumpet idols, Sergi Nakariakov, playing the socks of this fun tune (Wynton Marsalis has a great recording of it too):

At least I’ve given up on the impossible: playing Paganini’s ‘Moto Perpetuo’ for violin on the trumpet! Nothing on the trumpet is impossible for Wynton Marsalis, though!
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Thread Information