Help on comparing these Guitars for a newbie

Jo3x

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I want to purchase a guitar to start a new journey after some time on Uke. I want to mainly focus on fingerstyle playing in the future. After some researching, I've spot the following models to choose from. But I still cannot decide which one to buy. I'd like to hear your opinions on these models. Thanks for any of your model in advance!

Please also suggest any other models that you prefer over these ones.

1. Martin gpcrsgt: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin...Grand-Performance-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
* Solid spruce top, solid sapele back and side
* I played this model in a local store. I really like the low action and it sounds full and rich to me.
* A very similar model is GPCPA4, the difference is GPCPA4 is made in US while gpcrsgt is made in Mexico. Didn't have a chance to try it yet. But it costs about $500 more.
2. Yamaha AC3R: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin...Grand-Performance-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
* Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and side
* Didn't have a chance to play it in local store. But the specs look really promising
* It's made in China
3. Taylor 214ce: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor...-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
* Solid spruce top, layered Koa back and side
* I tried this in a local store. It's brighter than gpcrsgt, but it doesn't sounds as sustain as gpcrsgt to me. However, holding it seems more comfortable than gpcrsgt.
* The nut of the model is narrower than gpcrsgt (1.687in vs 1.75in). I heard that for fingerstyle playing a wider nut is preferred. This concerns me a little bit. It's also made in Mexico.
4. Martin GPC-11E: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin...Grand-Performance-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
* I really don't understand what's the difference between this one and gpcrsgt

Thanks,
-Jo

Hi, Jo! Shopping is always fun. Enjoy your shopping of your new guitar journey!

3. Taylor 214ce: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...tric-Guitar.gc
* Solid spruce top, layered Koa back and side
* I tried this in a local store. It's brighter than gpcrsgt, but it doesn't sounds as sustain as gpcrsgt to me. However, holding it seems more comfortable than gpcrsgt.
* The nut of the model is narrower than gpcrsgt (1.687in vs 1.75in). I heard that for fingerstyle playing a wider nut is preferred. This concerns me a little bit. It's also made in Mexico.

Your selected models are all acoustic-electric. It is very good for band play as well as solo. In general, acoustic-electric are bit quiet without amp. Because we have to prevent howling with amps. My local tech said to me they are about 70% of volume of acoustic guitars. Therefore Taylor's less sustain may not be a disadvantage. That is very difficult to estimate. Some people prefer OOO for finger style. But I know acoustic-electric is more thin body and could be comfortable to us. Taylor has 1 11/16", Martin has 1 3/4" nut. The difference is small. They both have 7mm intervals. The advantage of narrow nut for me are barre chords and left hand mute. In finger style play we normally do not use left hand mute in guitar. We mute strings with right hands. But we often mute strings with our left hands in strumming. Taylor's nut width is not disadvantage to me.

My guitar magazine reviews Taylor 314ce. She says sound is brighter and projects very well. Play-ability is very good too, just same as your comment.

Everyone of those guitars you listed are very good instruments, it boils down to personal preference. My advice to you is to take your time and play as many guitars in music stores as you can get your hands on. You will eventually determine what you like to hear and what feels comfortable. This is one way of doing it, taking your time and getting something you feel is close to perfect for you and your budget.

The other way is to buy a starter guitar, not a piece of crap but say a $300 Yamaha. Spend one year or so learning to play and continue to visit music stores. You can then make a very educated decision on what to drop a couple grand on. Good luck, guitar is wonderful and it has helped me with my ukulele playing.

Last edited:
You may want to go on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and ask them too. Asking here is like going to the guitar forum and asking about ukuleles. I'm a Bluegrass player but play a custom guitar and an 1893 Bay State Parlor. You may want to
look at Eastman also or used. Also American made Guilds like the D40 or M20 are wonderful sounding guitars. AGF has a great for sale section with some great deals.I put up a thread there awhile ago with a WTB for a young man and ended up with a nice Seagull guitar.

If you're buying a new Martin, check it out very carefully as some are good and others kind of miss the boat. I'm not a fan of new Martins in that price range. Would go with and Eastman or American Guild. Alvarez, is also a good instrument to check out. Like Dave mentioned, there are inexpensive guitars that are very good. Along with the Yamaha, Seagull and Godin are great little guitars.
Like ukuleles, setup is key to a good guitar so if possible, find a shop that does setups.

Last edited:
Hi zztush,

I really appreciate your suggestions.

You mentioned "They both have 7mm intervals", does it mean though the nut width is difference but the space between strings are the same? I couldn't find this interval information on the specs. Maybe next time I'll bring a ruler to measure them.

Taylor 314ce indeed is a better one. Just even couldn't find a used one within my budget ($1000).

Hi, Jo! Shopping is always fun. Enjoy your shopping of your new guitar journey!

Your selected models are all acoustic-electric. It is very good for band play as well as solo. In general, acoustic-electric are bit quiet without amp. Because we have to prevent howling with amps. My local tech said to me they are about 70% of volume of acoustic guitars. Therefore Taylor's less sustain may not be a disadvantage. That is very difficult to estimate. Some people prefer OOO for finger style. But I know acoustic-electric is more thin body and could be comfortable to us. Taylor has 1 11/16", Martin has 1 3/4" nut. The difference is small. They both have 7mm intervals. The advantage of narrow nut for me are barre chords and left hand mute. In finger style play we normally do not use left hand mute in guitar. We mute strings with right hands. But we often mute strings with our left hands in strumming. Taylor's nut width is not disadvantage to me.

My guitar magazine reviews Taylor 314ce. She says sound is brighter and projects very well. Play-ability is very good too, just same as your comment.

Thank you Dave!

I borrowed a Martin from one of my friends and learn to play it for like 4 months. I'm able to play something like this very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxIkWflr_0

Recently I returned it to my friend and my hands just feel so lonely. Almost can't wait to buy one for myself. I tried several ones below $500. I'm not that satisfied with them (probably because I've already get used to Martin tone). So I raised my budget to $1000.

Everyone of those guitars you listed are very good instruments, it boils down to personal preference. My advice to you is to take your time and play as many guitars in music stores as you can get your hands on. You will eventually determine what you like to hear and what feels comfortable. This is one way of doing it, taking your time and getting something you feel is close to perfect for you and your budget.

The other way is to buy a starter guitar, not a piece of crap but say a $300 Yamaha. Spend one year or so learning to play and continue to visit music stores. You can then make a very educated decision on what to drop a couple grand on. Good luck, guitar is wonderful and it has helped me with my ukulele playing.

You may want to go on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and ask them too. Asking here is like going to the guitar forum and asking about ukuleles. I'm a Bluegrass player but play a custom guitar and an 1893 Bay State Parlor. You may want to
look at Eastman also or used. Also American made Guilds like the D40 or M20 are wonderful sounding guitars. AGF has a great for sale section with some great deals.I put up a thread there awhile ago with a WTB for a young man and ended up with a nice Seagull guitar.

If you're buying a new Martin, check it out very carefully as some are good and others kind of miss the boat. I'm not a fan of new Martins in that price range. Would go with and Eastman or American Guild. Alvarez, is also a good instrument to check out. Like Dave mentioned, there are inexpensive guitars that are very good. Along with the Yamaha, Seagull and Godin are great little guitars.
Like ukuleles, setup is key to a good guitar so if possible, find a shop that does setups.

Thank you for the suggestions Patrick!

My registration of AFG always waits like forever for administrator's approval. So I posted my questions here.

Regarding "setup", the folks in Guitar Center in my local area told me they wouldn't provide setups by default unless I pay extra money (it's like more than $100 if I still remember). Do all guitar dealers charge extra money for setups? In my experience with uke dealers, many reputable dealers will provide setup service by default.

NP Jo. I suggest you google guitar dealers who do setups. With GC, you're taking a chance. They normally just go to the backroom and pickup the next guitar in the stack. I'm not sure if they'll let you play three or four of the same model. It may be why they are a bit cheaper by not checking each instrument for setups.

I feel UU is a bit more friendly than AGF. But still a good place. Good luck in your search.

4. Martin GPC-11E: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin...Grand-Performance-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
* I really don't understand what's the difference between this one and gpcrsgt

Thanks,
-Jo

On the Martin site: ... this model is an updated version of the discontinued GPCRSGT.. Usually dealers are keen to move discontinued models out of inventory and good discounts can be negotiated (even if they have a few better specs). I think a 20 to 30% discount should be reasonable/attainable. The Taylor is plywood, so probably at least a step below the Martins and looks overpriced. The Yamaha may a bit better value if you don't need the cachet of a big name brand on the headstock. It looks like it has a smaller body and more comfortable to play. I noticed that all of your choices have a cutaway, do you really need this feature?

Hi, Jo!

You mentioned "They both have 7mm intervals", does it mean though the nut width is difference but the space between strings are the same?

The nuts below are 1 3/4 (same as Martin) and 1 11/16 (same as Taylor) in Tusq web site. The E to E are 34.70mm and 35.00mm. 1 3/4 is bigger than 1 11/16, but 1 3/4 is smaller than 1 11/16 in terms of E to E. When we make these nuts in local guitar tech, they make them 7mm interval. We can think the space between strings are the same. I am nut man. :)

Top Bottom