Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Small Guitars

Default Comparison of Small Guitars

I have been playing Tenor Ukulele with a high g and a Baritone tuned DGBE. I really enjoy playing them, however, the twang of an Acoustic Guitar keeps twanging in my head. I am looking for a small guitar, maybe a Cordoba Mini, Nui, Gretsch 1/4 size, and others. There is so many on the market. I would like a small guitar that sounds as close as possible to a full size Classical Guitar but is much smaller. A two inch nut width is fine as long as the neck is not too thick. A 20 inch scale would be perfect, in fact a guitar with the body size and scale of a Baritone Ukulele would be just about perfect. I am open to any and all suggestions. What would be the best buy. Price range should be $500 or less, hopefully.

I have a Yamaha CS40 but it is slightly larger than I can handle when fretting. I am thinking something between the size of the CS40 and my Baritone with 6 strings.

Please load me up with advice and suggestions. Thank you, johnnysmash.

Have you checked out the guitalele class? Many ukulele brands have at least one in their lineup, e.g. Yamaha, Islander, Opio, Gretsch etc. The smallest sized guitar is usually a Parlor, and I think that Pono made very nice ones. Then Taylor has some "mini" and "baby" guitars, that have a considerable following, but they tend to be overpriced compared to the alternatives above. Also, the parlor guitars and Taylors likely have steel strings, so won't sound like a classical guitar.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-GL1-Gu.../dp/B000RVYMWE

Comparison of small guitars link:

https://parlor.guitars/blog/nylon-st...rlor-classical
    Last edited by merlin666; 04-30-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Check out the Romero Creations Parlor guitar: baritone sized body with a 630mm scale classical neck. It's a real screamer. If you really want a baritone scale, the Romero Creations Baritone 6 at 510mm might be up your alley. I keep mine tuned as a terz guitar in G C F Bb D G tuning—sounds amazing—but works okay in E A D G B E if you use heavy strings.

For that price range, I think you want a Córdoba Mini or an Islander GL6.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    For that price range, I think you want a Córdoba Mini or an Islander GL6.
    Jim is right, there seems to be nothing between $250 (Cordoba mini price) and your upper range of $500. Check out the Corboda Mini II as it is slightly bigger than the Mini and with its longer scale length of 22-3/4" compared to 20" and larger body it will sound better tuned E-E.

The other, larger than baritone size Romero Parlor guitar mentioned by gochuggi is a great choice. The actual name is Romero Creations Pepe RomeroSRsignature model. The one with solid spruce top laminate back and sides is in your price range, Elderly Instruments carry them.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 04-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Córdoba mini R is your best choice in that price range
    Anything else would not keep you satisfied for too long.
    I am one of the five fortunate owners of the Daniel Ho 6 guitar. I think it worth every penny with a guitar voice in short scale (nylon strings). If you can up your budget. That would be the one worth waiting for.

I wrote reviews of the Cordoba Mini series, the Mini R and Mini SMCE, complete with sound samples:

http://www.fraryguitar.com/classic_g...oba_mini-r.htm

http://www.fraryguitar.com/classic_g..._mini-smce.htm

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    I have been playing Tenor Ukulele with a high g and a Baritone tuned DGBE. I really enjoy playing them, however, the twang of an Acoustic Guitar keeps twanging in my head. I am looking for a small guitar, maybe a Cordoba Mini, Nui, Gretsch 1/4 size, and others. ... ...
    A twangy acoustic guitar? Hmmm.. played many an acoustic but never ran across a twangy one.

If you enjoy your baritone uke, then I suggest you move UP a little further than the Cordoba Mini & its ilk. I suggest you read the thread started by DownUpDave at HERE. It deals with the Cordoba Cadete. The Cadete is a bit larger than the Mini, but the sound quality is light-years better.

No offense to Mini lovers, but the Mini is just a tad more than a 6-string baritone uke, whereas the Cadete is truly a guitar that is small enough to be a crossover for a uke lover, but big enough to play & sound like a guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    A twangy acoustic guitar? Hmmm.. played many an acoustic but never ran across a twangy one.

If you enjoy your baritone uke, then I suggest you move UP a little further than the Cordoba Mini & its ilk. I suggest you read the thread started by DownUpDave at HERE. It deals with the Cordoba Cadete. The Cadete is a bit larger than the Mini, but the sound quality is light-years better.

No offense to Mini lovers, but the Mini is just a tad more than a 6-string baritone uke, whereas the Cadete is truly a guitar that is small enough to be a crossover for a uke lover, but big enough to play & sound like a guitar.
    I am so glad you brought this up. If you really want to learn to play guitar........play a guitar. I have the Romero Creations 6 string baritone and it is not in the same universe as the $300 Cordoba Cadete. Solorule will verify that as she borrowed it for one week. It is a 3/4 size guitar and it is manageable with a bit of dedicated effort. I have the Cadete out on a stand and pick it up and play all the time. I even installed strap buttons and a strap.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

If you want a "twangy" acoustic guitar, you probably want something with steel strings. There ain't no twang in a classical guitar.

- FiL

Thread Information