Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Comparison of Small Guitars

I always though that it would hurt a guitar to try and tune up beyond E-e. I carried that thought over from a long scale guitar to a short scale guitar with out ever even thinking about the shorter scale reducing the tension some. I guess I will never be a string scientist.

I tuned the guitar up today from drop 3 to E-e. The guitar does sound better. Tomorrow when I practice again I will try F-f and maybe G-g. I have not yet had the need to capo this guitar. After another week or two of playing I will by then have decided which strings I will try first. Hopefully I can find them in Bangkok.

At its best the Mini will never be even close to the great sound of my RC DHO 6 string, which is unbelievably good. The RC has that paddle shaped body, which is cavernous compared to the body of the Mini. Also having all solid wood probably helps a lot too.

I did bring the Mini with me to work and played it in my car, where it was a huge improvement over the plastic Flight Travel soprano ukulele. I guess I may be retiring the plastic fantastic Flight Travel uke.

Living in Thailand, outside of Bangkok, I cannot just run out to the local music store for most of my needs. The main reason I have in the past ask so many questions. However, tonight after about three hours of searching for a source for Savarez strings I hit upon a store in Bangkok, a music store that has it all from the looks of the ad on internet - Peterson Music Academy on Sukhumvit #26. Pianos, Guitars, Books, Strings, etc. They sell all major and international guitar strings. So ah shopping I will go next Bangkok trip. I live a a 5 hour drive from Bangkok, however, I average two trips a month to Bangkok.

On internet in two places I saw listed Savarez 510 MJ Hard Tension CGS Cantiga Series. New Cristal Accessories. Has anyone ever heard of these strings before?

I know Savarez strings are good. As long as I get High Tension strings does it real matter about the other stuff? I also saw HUADE Savarez 500 Cj High Tension Nylon strings.

Either should be fine. Savarez generally has Cantiga or Corum basses (there are others but these are the series that you mentioned). They mix these with Cristal trebles or bright sounding carbon Alliance.

I just had the 510 AJ on the mini- a set that a friend gave me. They were fine, but I prefer nylon trebles personally.

I say try either so you have a reference point. Then you can decide if you need brighter or darker, or a different tension.

Adam
    Last edited by Alytw; Today at 12:54 PM.

Hi, Johnny!

I can tell the difference between Nylon, Fluorocarbon and Nylgut on my Kamaka pine apple (See the photo below). But it is only GCEA tuning. If l loose their tension, I can not tell the difference. If we want to see the difference between the strings on our 21 inch guitars, we need to tune up enough tension to G-G. Hence any heavy strings are almost same on your E-E tuning. I think even fluorocarbon and nylon can not make much difference.

E-E tuning is most popular on 21 inch. Because people love guitar sound (pitch) and it is also convenient for chord tab play alone and so on. But sweet spot should be more high tension like dcuttler and gochugogi say.
    Library gig at 9th June

So with High Tension Strings the normal tuning would be E-e. But I can tune up to G-g with High Tension Strings and not hurt my Guitar in any way???

You'd probably want normal tension strings to try for G tuning, maybe even low tension strings since you are wanting the actual tension to still be low.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    So with High Tension Strings the normal tuning would be E-e. But I can tune up to G-g with High Tension Strings and not hurt my Guitar in any way???
    Aria PEPE and A-20 are made for E-E tuning with heavy (small guitar) strings, because it is classical guitar. They are entry model for children. Aria produces high tension special strings for them in order to raise tension. I have never seen any higher tunings on them in any web sites including Aria's homepage. People tune them in E-E with heavy strings. Yamaha JR2 and Aria PEPE and A-20 are all set for E-E in factory. The advantage of RH DHO6 is that it is made for G-G in this size.

But people rather love E-E rather than other tuning hence we take heavy string for small guitar.
    Last edited by zztush; Today at 07:28 PM.
    Library gig at 9th June

Thread Information