Comparison of Small Guitars

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I have been playing Tenor Ukulele with a high g and a Baritone tuned DGBE. I really enjoy playing them, however, the twang of an Acoustic Guitar keeps twanging in my head. I am looking for a small guitar, maybe a Cordoba Mini, Nui, Gretsch 1/4 size, and others. There is so many on the market. I would like a small guitar that sounds as close as possible to a full size Classical Guitar but is much smaller. A two inch nut width is fine as long as the neck is not too thick. A 20 inch scale would be perfect, in fact a guitar with the body size and scale of a Baritone Ukulele would be just about perfect. I am open to any and all suggestions. What would be the best buy. Price range should be $500 or less, hopefully.

I have a Yamaha CS40 but it is slightly larger than I can handle when fretting. I am thinking something between the size of the CS40 and my Baritone with 6 strings.

Please load me up with advice and suggestions. Thank you, johnnysmash.

Have you checked out the guitalele class? Many ukulele brands have at least one in their lineup, e.g. Yamaha, Islander, Opio, Gretsch etc. The smallest sized guitar is usually a Parlor, and I think that Pono made very nice ones. Then Taylor has some "mini" and "baby" guitars, that have a considerable following, but they tend to be overpriced compared to the alternatives above. Also, the parlor guitars and Taylors likely have steel strings, so won't sound like a classical guitar.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-GL1-Guitalele-Natural/dp/B000RVYMWE

Comparison of small guitars link:

https://parlor.guitars/blog/nylon-string-parlor-classical

Last edited:
Check out the Romero Creations Parlor guitar: baritone sized body with a 630mm scale classical neck. It's a real screamer. If you really want a baritone scale, the Romero Creations Baritone 6 at 510mm might be up your alley. I keep mine tuned as a terz guitar in G C F Bb D G tuning—sounds amazing—but works okay in E A D G B E if you use heavy strings.

For that price range, I think you want a Córdoba Mini or an Islander GL6.

For that price range, I think you want a Córdoba Mini or an Islander GL6.

Jim is right, there seems to be nothing between $250 (Cordoba mini price) and your upper range of $500. Check out the Corboda Mini II as it is slightly bigger than the Mini and with its longer scale length of 22-3/4" compared to 20" and larger body it will sound better tuned E-E.

The other, larger than baritone size Romero Parlor guitar mentioned by gochuggi is a great choice. The actual name is Romero Creations Pepe RomeroSRsignature model. The one with solid spruce top laminate back and sides is in your price range, Elderly Instruments carry them.

Last edited:
Córdoba mini R is your best choice in that price range
Anything else would not keep you satisfied for too long.
I am one of the five fortunate owners of the Daniel Ho 6 guitar. I think it worth every penny with a guitar voice in short scale (nylon strings). If you can up your budget. That would be the one worth waiting for.

I have been playing Tenor Ukulele with a high g and a Baritone tuned DGBE. I really enjoy playing them, however, the twang of an Acoustic Guitar keeps twanging in my head. I am looking for a small guitar, maybe a Cordoba Mini, Nui, Gretsch 1/4 size, and others. ... ...
A twangy acoustic guitar? Hmmm.. played many an acoustic but never ran across a twangy one.

If you enjoy your baritone uke, then I suggest you move UP a little further than the Cordoba Mini & its ilk. I suggest you read the thread started by DownUpDave at HERE. It deals with the Cordoba Cadete. The Cadete is a bit larger than the Mini, but the sound quality is light-years better.

No offense to Mini lovers, but the Mini is just a tad more than a 6-string baritone uke, whereas the Cadete is truly a guitar that is small enough to be a crossover for a uke lover, but big enough to play & sound like a guitar.

A twangy acoustic guitar? Hmmm.. played many an acoustic but never ran across a twangy one.

If you enjoy your baritone uke, then I suggest you move UP a little further than the Cordoba Mini & its ilk. I suggest you read the thread started by DownUpDave at HERE. It deals with the Cordoba Cadete. The Cadete is a bit larger than the Mini, but the sound quality is light-years better.

No offense to Mini lovers, but the Mini is just a tad more than a 6-string baritone uke, whereas the Cadete is truly a guitar that is small enough to be a crossover for a uke lover, but big enough to play & sound like a guitar.

I am so glad you brought this up. If you really want to learn to play guitar........play a guitar. I have the Romero Creations 6 string baritone and it is not in the same universe as the $300 Cordoba Cadete. Solorule will verify that as she borrowed it for one week. It is a 3/4 size guitar and it is manageable with a bit of dedicated effort. I have the Cadete out on a stand and pick it up and play all the time. I even installed strap buttons and a strap.

If you want a "twangy" acoustic guitar, you probably want something with steel strings. There ain't no twang in a classical guitar.

- FiL

"Twangy" was a poor choice of a word. I was thinking of the sound made by an acoustic guitar string as compared to a string on a ukulele.

I also made another mistake in my original post - I should have pointed out that I already play Guitalele. However, the Guitalele is a little too cramped for my hands and fingers. And anything over a 20 inch span is hard on my body. So I need something close to Baritone size. I can play my Kala Baritone all day and have no pain. I just need six strings.

I would like something that sounds like a guitar or as close as possible, but I cannot skip over the condition of my old body - it talks back when I over do it.

Thank you to all who have responded. More are welcome to chime in. Living in Thailand I cannot simply run down to the local store and try out the guitars, that is unless I went electric. They have stores full of electrics but few acoustics. That is why I search so much on computer and ask so many questions.

I have a Yamaha CS40 but it is slightly larger than I can handle when fretting. I am thinking something between the size of the CS40 and my Baritone with 6 strings.

Yamaha CS40: 23inch (580mm)
Baritone 19 inch (480mm)

Yamaha JR2 : 21inch (540mm)
Aria AMB-JR 19 inch (480mm)

"Twangy" was a poor choice of a word. I was thinking of the sound made by an acoustic guitar string as compared to a string on a ukulele.

I also made another mistake in my original post - I should have pointed out that I already play Guitalele. However, the Guitalele is a little too cramped for my hands and fingers. And anything over a 20 inch span is hard on my body. So I need something close to Baritone size. I can play my Kala Baritone all day and have no pain. I just need six strings.

I would like something that sounds like a guitar or as close as possible, but I cannot skip over the condition of my old body - it talks back when I over do it.

Thank you to all who have responded. More are welcome to chime in. Living in Thailand I cannot simply run down to the local store and try out the guitars, that is unless I went electric. They have stores full of electrics but few acoustics. That is why I search so much on computer and ask so many questions.

DH6 is built in Thailand by Romero Creation. It’s everything you asked for here in a 20” scale length. If you visit this guitar forum under guitar video. I already posted two videos playing the DH6.

Last edited:

By all means then buy the Cordoba Mini if wanting to stay below $500. I have played it and I am sure you will enjoy it. The 20" scale length is border line long enough for EADGBE tuning. Try extra hard tension D'Addario Pro Arte carbon clasical guitar strings for more tension if needed.

Thank you for the information about DH6 being built in Thailand. Now all I need is an address or telephone number. I go to Bangkok often. I assume that is where there shop would be or near there. Please provide whatever information you can. Thank you, johnnysmash

Thank you for the information about DH6 being built in Thailand. Now all I need is an address or telephone number. I go to Bangkok often. I assume that is where there shop would be or near there. Please provide whatever information you can. Thank you, johnnysmash

Go to Romero Creation website , all the information is there.
The factory is in Thailand.

I too own a guitar from Romero Creations; a DHO 6 String. 530mm scale. It's easy to play, and sounds great. I have a used Cordoba Mini M on the way for a travel guitar.
The DHO 6 String is presently sold out.

Go to Romero Creation website , all the information is there.
The factory is in Thailand.

Yes, all the information is there except where the factory is located in Thailand.

I clicked on "Where to buy". Since Thailand is not listed I assume that I would have to order a guitar made in Thailand from outside of Thailand.

I live in Thailand. I want to go directly to the factory and order a guitar.

Top Bottom