Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Small Guitars

My 000 Sigma is a copy of a Martin made under license and is very nice it was about 2000 aud less I tried both and they were similar but not identical, my sigma is about 12-15 years old they are currently made at the huge cort factory not sure where mine was made.

Went into our local equivalent of Guitar Centre, asking to look at the Guild Jumbo Junior and Guild OM. I think the guy was trying to upsell me, he put a solid wood OM in my hands which was twice as expensive as i was willing to spend. After that the Jumbo Junior sounded terrible. Then he got me to play the Taylor GS-mini which is about 33% more expensive than the Guild. Sounded OK, but not quite "there" for me in terms of resonance. This guy has done this to me before, and all it does is make me not want the instrument i went to look at. .

Jokes on him, as I know about Harley Benton now; except, I discovered that Harley Benton have a V neck on the model that is a GS mini copy. So, i may end up with the same 000 Sigma as Badger, but keen to try a Sigma 00M first if i can find one. Struggling to choose my compromise between size and sound. I played a Martin 00M and it was perfect but 5x out of my price range.
    Last edited by Davoravo; 09-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Hey Davoravo you have discovered a couple important principles. Usually an all solid wood instrument will have more resonance, sustain and projection. Secondly, playing instruments side by side gives a very real comparison. Third is related to number two, reading about and getting excited about an instrument on line doesn't mean YOU will like it in real life. We all due respect to Harvey Denton owners, you may or may not like it once you have played it. The old practice of playing before buying still holds true. Good luck in your search
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Hey Davoravo you have discovered a couple important principles. Usually an all solid wood instrument will have more resonance, sustain and projection. Secondly, playing instruments side by side gives a very real comparison. Third is related to number two, reading about and getting excited about an instrument on line doesn't mean YOU will like it in real life. We all due respect to Harvey Denton owners, you may or may not like it once you have played it. The old practice of playing before buying still holds true. Good luck in your search
    That's exactly my point. Having not played the other guitars, and not planning to do so, I will never know the difference. What I do know is having only paid 105 eur shipped, I am a happy camper.

You can always pay more and probably get a better sounding guitar, but that's an open ended situation and at what price does it end? No matter what you select, there will always be something better if you are willing to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcuttler View Post
    That's exactly my point. Having not played the other guitars, and not planning to do so, I will never know the difference. What I do know is having only paid 105 eur shipped, I am a happy camper.

You can always pay more and probably get a better sounding guitar, but that's an open ended situation and at what price does it end? No matter what you select, there will always be something better if you are willing to pay for it.
    An old saying in the golf industry.......don’t go trying out $1500 clubs when you only want to spend $300.

I agree with you. Happiness is wanting what you have.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Went into our local equivalent of Guitar Centre, asking to look at the Guild Jumbo Junior and Guild OM. I think the guy was trying to upsell me, he put a solid wood OM in my hands which was twice as expensive as i was willing to spend. After that the Jumbo Junior sounded terrible. Then he got me to play the Taylor GS-mini which is about 33% more expensive than the Guild. Sounded OK, but not quite "there" for me in terms of resonance. This guy has done this to me before, and all it does is make me not want the instrument i went to look at. .

Jokes on him, as I know about Harley Benton now; except, I discovered that Harley Benton have a V neck on the model that is a GS mini copy. So, i may end up with the same 000 Sigma as Badger, but keen to try a Sigma 00M first if i can find one. Struggling to choose my compromise between size and sound. I played a Martin 00M and it was perfect but 5x out of my price range.
    I tried the Taylor when I was looking from memory it was good but I found the first and last strings to close to the edge of the neck for me ,I don’t think I tried the 00 sigma one I did like was the 000 solid mahogany but ultimately chose the 000r vs the wide nut and neck felt right.

Quote Originally Posted by dcuttler View Post

You can always pay more and probably get a better sounding guitar
    Yes, absolutely. Another thing i have realised is that there are guitars that sound slightly better but you can only hear the difference if you play them side by side. Once you are at home no difference. Once it goes through a preamp and PA no difference (on the one time per year i might perform)
    Last edited by Davoravo; 09-18-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Yes, absolutely. Another thing i have realised is that there are guitars that sound slightly better but you can only hear the difference if you play them side by side. Once you are at home no difference. Once it goes through a preamp and PA no difference (on the one time per year i might perform)
    I agree completely, and so many folks are comparing guitars based on memory. I think that I might be swayed by a comparison with 2 guitars fitted with the same strings of the same age. Even then if I don't go out trying different guitars, I will never know the difference, and be satisfied with what I have.

How much are these "specialty" guitars. I have found a 00 i really like, the Alvarez Delta00, which seems versatile enough to play a wide range of music and not just blues. But i keep worrying that i should be buying a 000 as i usually strum and sing pop and rock. I really like the instrument but i dont want to get stuck with something i discover is not right for my style. i am a beginner so i might not notice while shopping.

How much are these "specialty" guitars. I have found a 00 i really like, the Alvarez Delta00, which seems versatile enough to play a wide range of music and not just blues. But i keep worrying that i should be buying a 000 as i usually strum and sing pop and rock. I really like the instrument but i dont want to get stuck with something i discover is not right for my style. i am a beginner so i might not notice while shopping.
    I wouldn't really consider a 000 "small bodied", with a 14-fret configuration they are OM and almost as big as a Jumbo or Dreadnaught. Small should be Parlor size or less.

Thread Information