Comparison of Small Guitars

My 000 Sigma is a copy of a Martin made under license and is very nice it was about 2000 aud less I tried both and they were similar but not identical, my sigma is about 12-15 years old they are currently made at the huge cort factory not sure where mine was made.

Went into our local equivalent of Guitar Centre, asking to look at the Guild Jumbo Junior and Guild OM. I think the guy was trying to upsell me, he put a solid wood OM in my hands which was twice as expensive as i was willing to spend. After that the Jumbo Junior sounded terrible. Then he got me to play the Taylor GS-mini which is about 33% more expensive than the Guild. Sounded OK, but not quite "there" for me in terms of resonance. This guy has done this to me before, and all it does is make me not want the instrument i went to look at. .

Jokes on him, as I know about Harley Benton now; except, I discovered that Harley Benton have a V neck on the model that is a GS mini copy. So, i may end up with the same 000 Sigma as Badger, but keen to try a Sigma 00M first if i can find one. Struggling to choose my compromise between size and sound. I played a Martin 00M and it was perfect but 5x out of my price range.

Last edited:
Hey Davoravo you have discovered a couple important principles. Usually an all solid wood instrument will have more resonance, sustain and projection. Secondly, playing instruments side by side gives a very real comparison. Third is related to number two, reading about and getting excited about an instrument on line doesn't mean YOU will like it in real life. We all due respect to Harvey Denton owners, you may or may not like it once you have played it. The old practice of playing before buying still holds true. Good luck in your search

Hey Davoravo you have discovered a couple important principles. Usually an all solid wood instrument will have more resonance, sustain and projection. Secondly, playing instruments side by side gives a very real comparison. Third is related to number two, reading about and getting excited about an instrument on line doesn't mean YOU will like it in real life. We all due respect to Harvey Denton owners, you may or may not like it once you have played it. The old practice of playing before buying still holds true. Good luck in your search

That's exactly my point. Having not played the other guitars, and not planning to do so, I will never know the difference. What I do know is having only paid 105 eur shipped, I am a happy camper.

You can always pay more and probably get a better sounding guitar, but that's an open ended situation and at what price does it end? No matter what you select, there will always be something better if you are willing to pay for it.

That's exactly my point. Having not played the other guitars, and not planning to do so, I will never know the difference. What I do know is having only paid 105 eur shipped, I am a happy camper.

You can always pay more and probably get a better sounding guitar, but that's an open ended situation and at what price does it end? No matter what you select, there will always be something better if you are willing to pay for it.

An old saying in the golf industry.......don’t go trying out $1500 clubs when you only want to spend $300.

I agree with you. Happiness is wanting what you have.

Went into our local equivalent of Guitar Centre, asking to look at the Guild Jumbo Junior and Guild OM. I think the guy was trying to upsell me, he put a solid wood OM in my hands which was twice as expensive as i was willing to spend. After that the Jumbo Junior sounded terrible. Then he got me to play the Taylor GS-mini which is about 33% more expensive than the Guild. Sounded OK, but not quite "there" for me in terms of resonance. This guy has done this to me before, and all it does is make me not want the instrument i went to look at. .

Jokes on him, as I know about Harley Benton now; except, I discovered that Harley Benton have a V neck on the model that is a GS mini copy. So, i may end up with the same 000 Sigma as Badger, but keen to try a Sigma 00M first if i can find one. Struggling to choose my compromise between size and sound. I played a Martin 00M and it was perfect but 5x out of my price range.

I tried the Taylor when I was looking from memory it was good but I found the first and last strings to close to the edge of the neck for me ,I don’t think I tried the 00 sigma one I did like was the 000 solid mahogany but ultimately chose the 000r vs the wide nut and neck felt right.

You can always pay more and probably get a better sounding guitar

Yes, absolutely. Another thing i have realised is that there are guitars that sound slightly better but you can only hear the difference if you play them side by side. Once you are at home no difference. Once it goes through a preamp and PA no difference (on the one time per year i might perform)

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. Another thing i have realised is that there are guitars that sound slightly better but you can only hear the difference if you play them side by side. Once you are at home no difference. Once it goes through a preamp and PA no difference (on the one time per year i might perform)

I agree completely, and so many folks are comparing guitars based on memory. I think that I might be swayed by a comparison with 2 guitars fitted with the same strings of the same age. Even then if I don't go out trying different guitars, I will never know the difference, and be satisfied with what I have.

How much are these "specialty" guitars. I have found a 00 i really like, the Alvarez Delta00, which seems versatile enough to play a wide range of music and not just blues. But i keep worrying that i should be buying a 000 as i usually strum and sing pop and rock. I really like the instrument but i dont want to get stuck with something i discover is not right for my style. i am a beginner so i might not notice while shopping.

How much are these "specialty" guitars. I have found a 00 i really like, the Alvarez Delta00, which seems versatile enough to play a wide range of music and not just blues. But i keep worrying that i should be buying a 000 as i usually strum and sing pop and rock. I really like the instrument but i dont want to get stuck with something i discover is not right for my style. i am a beginner so i might not notice while shopping.

I wouldn't really consider a 000 "small bodied", with a 14-fret configuration they are OM and almost as big as a Jumbo or Dreadnaught. Small should be Parlor size or less.

So you wouldnt expect much difference between a 00 and a 000 in terms of tone?

So you wouldnt expect much difference between a 00 and a 000 in terms of tone?

There is a noticeable difference. I own a 00 and a 000, the larger body and longer scale length make the 000 more resonant and rich sounding. The 00 is boxy and compressed sounding, not a bad thing but different.

I was in a music store today and played a Martin 00-15 and a 000-15 back to back. Same all mahogany construction just different sizes so a great test. They exhibited the same tonal differences as I described above.

Recently to comply with the directives here in the San Francisco Bay area to stay home, and work from home if possible, I decided to bring indoors the Cordoba Mini that has been in my car almost every day since I purchased it. It may be a long time before I will be driving to work again.

Before putting it away I tuned it up and played a few pieces, and was struck by how really bad it sounded. Could it need new strings? How long since I last changed them? I keep a log for this stuff, and these were the strings that I put on when I first received the guitar 10 months ago. Jeez.

At that time I experimented to come up with a decent mix of strings to allow it to be tuned E-E, but I remembered that I had a set of inexpensive D'Addario ¾ scale strings that I was going to use on a 580mm scale cordoba guitar I ended up selling. Having nothing to lose, I put them on the Mini, and tuned it G-G. The results were surprisingly good. Good enough that I ordered 4 more sets from Musicians Friend for $4.59 per set including free shipping. You could spend a lot more, and never noticeably improve the sound of that tiny guitar.

For what those strings cost I quit looking. The D'Addario product number is EJ27N ¾. $4.59 a heck of a deal.

Bad how? All the strings?

You had it in a car for 10 months? :eek: What was the highest internal temperature? If this were NC, that uke would probably be warped all to he** if not dried out and cracked in two.

FWIW, I liked the Mini I had in G-to-G, so if it sounds significantly worse than what you remember, then I agree something is wrong.

Bad how? All the strings?

You had it in a car for 10 months? :eek: What was the highest internal temperature? If this were NC, that uke would probably be warped all to he** if not dried out and cracked in two.

FWIW, I liked the Mini I had in G-to-G, so if it sounds significantly worse than what you remember, then I agree something is wrong.

Wild variations in temperatures and humidity.

When you play these tiny guitars inside a closed automobile, thay almost always sound terrific because it's like being inside the body of the guitar. Then bring it indoors, play it, and find out how dead the strings really are.

Having said that, I think the most limiting factor in tone production is the very small body. You could spend a ton on exotic string sets, and not make much of a difference. Actually I really like the Cordoba Mini as a travel guitar, it just has some limitations baked into it.

I might also add that when tuning the new D'Addario strings, they kept going out of tune rapidly. It didn't make sense so I decided to check the tuner screws, and sure enough some were loose. After tightening all 6 screws, it settled down and stays close to tune overnight.

It's ironic that just after ordering 4 additional sets of strings for my Mini which I mainly use in my car if I get to work early, I was furloughed for the foreseeable future. Oh well more time to practice at home. 😀👍👍

Top Bottom