Thread: UPTs please

Default UPTs please

I thought this was rather funny. This link describes the process of going from vintage Grover friction tuners to new Waverly friction tuners on a Martin tenor, and why the Waverlys are better. Hmmm, no argument there, the Waverlys are well regarded. Then at the very end, the author provides a quick update, 6 months later, that they replaced the Waverlys with Gotoh UPTs. The author does not say why, but having used UPTs, I gotta assume they liked the UPTs much better. No surprise there.

http://crawlsbackward.blogspot.com/2...on-martin.html
    John

I think this is the follow up post for UPT installation
    http://crawlsbackward.blogspot.com/2...rs-on.html?m=1

I also have UPT on my Martin S1 and it’s great.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Years ago I found an Asian knockoff on eBay of the Vintage Champions He had to replace. If I had known his needs, I would have sold him the set I haven't used.
    I am in process of using the Waverly reproduction of the Grovers 76, I'm using original Grover barrels and buttons with Waverly posts, springs, set screws and such. I won't have to drill or change anything on the head itself aside from some tweaking if necessary.
    I have preference for the Pegheds when converting to planetary tuners on vintage instruments, They really look like classic wooden pegs.

My Martin 1T IZ required the Gotoh UPT-L tuners. It has a 1/2" thick headstock.

I like them much better than the original PegHeds. But, I do agree that the PegHeds look very close to friction tuners and have pretty amazing engineering to make them as thin as they are.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 05-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thanks for those two links. Information is always good.

All tuner makers sell different quality tuners, but I don't know which is which. I just assume that more expensive is better. Friction tuners aren't my favorite, but once they are set up right, they're fine. My KoAlohas have their friction tuners, and they're fine.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information