The Rate This Thread Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent thread Pabrizzer! I only was vaguely aware of the thread rating and never used it, but like Sharpshin, I thought 1star was good, as in “this is not your average thread, check this out” and that stars increased from there…gooder, gooderer, goodest, and goodness this is awesome. I think it’s terrible to have a rating system on folk’s courageous effort to share their music. We aren’t professionals, and performers should be encouraged. We should use kind words and only the most delicate and constructive criticism. I would never be so cowardly as to post an anonymous negative rating. Who does that??? As my mother always said, “If you don’t have something nice to say, say nothing at all”.

Thanks for starting this thread Brian :) I have also noticed that there has be an emergence of terribly low & thoughtless ratings being applied in Links & Videos sub forum. It's sad to think that fellow members would be so unkind, but that is exactly what's happening right here at UU. The option is only there for UU members to rate threads, as guests to UU are ineligible to vote, so it's a rat in the ranks folks. I have had my last 3 videos marked down heavily by a fellow member or members & it doesn't feel very nice, in fact it really hurts when it happens :( I didn't think that my videos were so bad that they needed to be given a 1 star rating, but that's exactly what happened. The anonymity of the star rating system gives free passage to the haters who decides to give any of us a hard time or grief, and unfortunately there is little that can be done to stop them.
Luckily for me, I have many dear friends here at UU & they have added their stars to help repair the damage cause by whoever it is. We have started referring to it as the UU "Star Wars" :)

As a newbie to UU, I can’t believe that anyone would do this to you Campbell, you are always so kind and generous with your comments, & the way you encourage others with their playing is a real lesson for us all.
My Stars are with you! :D

Last edited:
If you are viewing posts via the What's New? button at the top left, the stars don't show up. But if you click Forums, then choose a forum (Links & Videos for example), then you can see some threads with stars.

Okay thanks. I see them now. I'm generally in the What's New section, but if I ever kick this daily habit, I'll probably head to the other sections to catch up on things.

The star feature is, no doubt, just a feature built into the vBulletin software that powers this forum. For those who don't know, most forums on the web run on one of three or four forum applications. They all come with loads of features, some helpful and some not.

I'll see if we can turn off the star system. Until then, please do try to remember that this is the Internet. Trolls and mean people are almost as common as nice people. It comes with the territory. To be freaked out by the number of stars on a thread is a choice. Make a different choice - ignore it and get on with life.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom