The Rate This Thread Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabrizzer

Reaction score
If you look down this page you will see that some threads have a number of stars next to them.
If they have one star next to them it means that a forum member has rated the thread as Terrible.
They can do so anonymously, without giving any reasons.
There is a thread with such a rating at the moment and I had a listen and it is clearly NOT terrible.
Surely the thread rating 'feature' is really of no value here?
The potential to be nasty and pretty cowardly, yes.
Helpful and collegial, no.
If you want to say something is terrible do it in words so that people can respond appropriately........
Of course you can rate the thread as Excellent but again why not just do so in a comment?
What is the feature doing here?

Oh. and before anyone gets a chance, I've rated this thread as Terrible already.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, Pa, but I'm not seeing stars.

John Colter.

Oh. and before anyone gets a chance, I've rated this thread as Terrible already.

HaHa! That last bit DID make me smile Brian. But I do tend to agree with your assessment of the situation.

If someone like or dislikes (well, you can't please all of the people all of the time, can you? lol) something I've done, I personally like to get an explanation of what I did right and/or wrong so I can try to learn from it and improve. I find THAT sort of response and support MUCH more constructive, and there is - in MY humble view - NEVER a reason to be rude to anyone about what they've posted. If we come across a posting or member who's stuff we don't like for whatever reason, and we have nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to say about it or them, we should just move on to the next post and say nothing.

Having said that, I must be honest and confess that I get a little 'buzz' when I see someone has marked any of my humble efforts with five stars - but I guess that's just the child within me remembering when the teacher used to stick a gold star on the appropriate page of my spelling or maths book on the odd occasion I did some work to her satisfaction - which didn't happen THAT often, I can tell you!! lol).

I've never used that feature, but checked it out. If I click on the Rate This Thread button on a previously unrated thread , I see the 5 choices, where it says Enter Your Vote. If I choose to vote 5 stars Excellent, I then see the 5 star rating show up next to that thread.

If someone dislikes a previously unrated thread, and votes 1-star Terrible, and nobody else votes, it sits there at 1-star Terrible. If someone else adds a higher vote, the rating goes up, I assume it gets averaged.

Either way, seems like a rather weak feature, as real comments from identifiable members are always better. The feature, as is, has the potential for meanness, especially in the Links & Videos board, where users post their own performances. It also allows users to bump up the rating of their own thread or performance. Not good. I'd be happy to see that feature go away.

Last edited:
I don't generally even notice them stars and never look for them! My interpretation is probably wrong as well. You gonna laugh now, because in my brain, I thought one star mean't the thread was "a noteworthy thread" and five stars mean't the thread was "useful and hecking good" or " Everyone should know about this". It never occurred to me that someone would rate a courageous persons performance on the scale! The stars, as John says, are a weak feature and it probably comes with the software and can not be eliminated.
So......let us agree, those in the know, and veteran UU forum folks will from this time forward understand to just not use the feature? Then anyone who uses the feature is out in left field. The stars do not contribute to conversation. There is a culture here that needs to be respected. We can add to that. This isn't FB, and don't bring that culture here. Don't use those itty bitty stars. Would that work?

Last edited:
Just realised what you're talking about - no, I've never used it - why would anyone?! :confused:

A thread is a thread, is a thread - you agree with what is said, or not, don't you? :agree:

Then you can add your comment, good or bad - but if it causes offence, etc, you'll get reported & slung out of the forum! :rulez:

I've never noticed them before. Not sure I wanted to know this, so I'll rate this thread one star too, you know, just to be agreeable with your rating. Just kidding! I'm not going to start rating threads unless I think I need to boost the average rating.

Other sites I have been on had star ratings but they proved problematic so they switched to Like buttons - much better! If you like it, hit like - if not, just move on.

I see there is no longer a one star rated thread on this page - well done to the UU members who bumped it up. I also gave it an Excellent - apart from this thread it is the only rating I ever give.

I see there is no longer a one star rated thread on this page - well done to the UU members who bumped it up. I also gave it an Excellent - apart from this thread it is the only rating I ever give.

Yes, to try out the feature, while it was still at 1-star, I voted 5-stars, which bumped it up to 3-stars. So, some curmudgeon apparently later voted 1-star, which knocked it back down to 2. :mad:

Yes, to try out the feature, while it was still at 1-star, I voted 5-stars, which bumped it up to 3-stars. So, some curmudgeon apparently later voted 1-star, which knocked it back down to 2. :mad:

Wasn't me, I swear! I just did a 5 star and it didn't change the average. I still don't see any stars anywhere else except the drop down menu.

Few rotten grapes ruin the whole bunch... chicken s** and abusing this feature
These are about cliches within UU AND popularity rather than skill. It's a shame
We have jealous, insecure, hatred and egotistical members within our beloved forum

Last edited:
...I still don't see any stars anywhere else except the drop down menu.

If you are viewing posts via the What's New? button at the top left, the stars don't show up. But if you click Forums, then choose a forum (Links & Videos for example), then you can see some threads with stars.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread Brian :) I have also noticed that there has be an emergence of terribly low & thoughtless ratings being applied in Links & Videos sub forum. It's sad to think that fellow members would be so unkind, but that is exactly what's happening right here at UU. The option is only there for UU members to rate threads, as guests to UU are ineligible to vote, so it's a rat in the ranks folks. I have had my last 3 videos marked down heavily by a fellow member or members & it doesn't feel very nice, in fact it really hurts when it happens :( I didn't think that my videos were so bad that they needed to be given a 1 star rating, but that's exactly what happened. The anonymity of the star rating system gives free passage to the haters who decides to give any of us a hard time or grief, and unfortunately there is little that can be done to stop them.
Luckily for me, I have many dear friends here at UU & they have added their stars to help repair the damage cause by whoever it is. We have started referring to it as the UU "Star Wars" :)

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread Brian :) I have also noticed that there has be an emergence of terribly low & thoughtless ratings being applied in Links & Videos sub forum. It's sad to think that fellow members would be so unkind, but that is exactly what's happening right here at UU. The option is only there for UU members to rate threads, as guests to UU are ineligible to vote, so it's a rat in the ranks folks. I have had my last 3 videos marked down heavily by a fellow member or members & it doesn't feel very nice, in fact it really hurts when it happens :( I didn't think that my videos were so bad that they needed to be given a 1 star rating, but that's exactly what happened. The anonymity of the star rating system gives free passage to the haters who decides to give any of us a hard time or grief, and unfortunately there is little that can be done to stop them.
Luckily for me, I have many dear friends here at UU & they have added their stars to help repair the damage cause by whoever it is. We have started referring to it as the UU "Star Wars" :)

It says way more about the person who would do such a thing than it does about the wonderful skill and finesse you bring to all your performances Cam. Which is why it should not be anonymous. I am sure they would not do it if they were able to be identified and challenged on their behaviour.
Just can't understand the reason for the UU "Star Wars" to be here.

I almost always use "What's New?" for accessing UU - so that's why I wasn't able to see the aforementioned stars! I have now seen them.

"If you can't say anything real nice,
Best not to talk at all that's my advice"

John Colter.

It is very obvious the low star ratings come from someone holding grudges on a particular 'performer' because of pervious arguments .

I suspect there are more than one person honouring these wonderful stars. Could it be from a very jealous person who thinks his or her videos are much better than yours yet received far less views and comments?

I really don't think any one would just throw in the low rating because you are a bad player !! These star givers are intend to HURT.

Below is a comment from Dave on this thread in page 1 . What he said is exactly how I felt when I saw stars on my video thread!

I must be honest and confess that I get a little 'buzz' when I see someone has marked any of my humble efforts with five stars - but I guess that's just the child within me remembering when the teacher used to stick a gold star on the appropriate page of my spelling or maths book on the odd occasion I did some work to her satisfaction - which didn't happen THAT often, I can tell you!! lol).

Please do not STOP giving stars BUT star sincerely and kindly because we all work very hard making a video . Without us, this link and video forum would be a pretty quiet place! :music:

Last edited:
... I have had my last 3 videos marked down heavily by a fellow member or members & it doesn't feel very nice, in fact it really hurts when it happens :( I didn't think that my videos were so bad that they needed to be given a 1 star rating, but that's exactly what happened...

I can't believe that! I aspire to play as beautifully as you!! And you share many of your skills and music too which is very kind and generous.

EDIT: I'd never taken any notice of the star rating before but became interested after reading this post. Seems it's used most in this particular "links and videos" bit. I was curious and looked at my previous posts and very kind UU members have rated me very generously. It takes a lot to post anything, and rating people harshly here in particular is very unkind.

I'm going to quote a favourite quote of mine as it seems rather apt...

"... Be a little kinder than you have to..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom