Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass nail files are good

Default Glass nail files are good

I missed the metal file I used as a 16-25 year old when I played classical guitar as an amateur. I was not that bad, but I never got any education of a nail care.

Playing these days mainly ukulele and I have used those cheap sandpaper files. They suck in feel, compared to this glass file I bought. And are very rough.

This is of course old news to you younger generation of players. But for us others like me not knowing how good these glass files are I wanted to post this thread.

Just from the local cheap shop, that has also women beauty stuff. Was 8.90€.

Leaves the nail edges smooth and is not such an unpleasant thing to do. Apply low pressure and I say fantastic results.

I'm over 60 so you know my generation here too, heh.

I bought a rather cheap glass nail file and wore it clean. Maybe I should try a better quality file. Considering how
    I strum/finger pick, I wonder that the nails on my right grow at all, or that I haven’t sawed thru my strings. Lol.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila
    Donner DUC-3 Concert Spruce/Mahogany gCEA Donner

CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner
    Donner tuner

+1 for glass nail files. They give a nice smooth edge that improves tone for anyone who finger-picks with their nails.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

I've had mine for 10+ years. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    I missed the metal file I used as a 16-25 year old when I played classical guitar as an amateur. I was not that bad, but I never got any education of a nail care.

Playing these days mainly ukulele and I have used those cheap sandpaper files. They suck in feel, compared to this glass file I bought. And are very rough.

This is of course old news to you younger generation of players. But for us others like me not knowing how good these glass files are I wanted to post this thread.

Just from the local cheap shop, that has also women beauty stuff. Was 8.90€.

Leaves the nail edges smooth and is not such an unpleasant thing to do. Apply low pressure and I say fantastic results.

I'm over 60 so you know my generation here too, heh.
    Thanks for sharing this information Jarmo
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

I've had my glass nail file for years. Once I started using it, I knew I could never go back to a traditional metal one. There's a world of difference between them.
    Jan D
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKE LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

+2- Jarmo_S Glass is the way to go. Sally's Beauty Supply carries them. I also use a nail hardener on my picking hand for my thin easily broken nails. If the shiny hardener finish troubles you, they have a matte topcoat as well. I went in and the salesperson helped me choose the right stuff to use. Been happily using for a while now.
    Richard from Reno
    soprano and concert guy

Even the super cheap ones should last years. They got sort of clogged up after a certain amount of use and need to be washed to fix that. I got a half dozen for about $10 and put one in each case, my purse, the box where I keep the TV remotes, etc.

I've never heard of a glass file. I'll try one. I've always been using the metal and shaved one side down some so it's lower and leaves cleaner edges.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    I've never heard of a glass file. I'll try one. I've always been using the metal and shaved one side down some so it's lower and leaves cleaner edges.
    It is very worthy to get one. You won't regret and will never go back to your metal file. From what I have read about the subject, some classical guitar players use a very fine grained sandpaper after that in their nail care.
    Just in my opinion, it is not really needed. The glass file will give a really smooth finish in its own.

Thread Information