Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this really a 1924 Martin Style 2?

Default Is this really a 1924 Martin Style 2?

Howdy folks,

I just picked up my first ukulele. It it should arrive in about a week and I am very excited to sit down and play it.

It is purported to be a 1924 Martin style 2. I am hoping that this might be verified by a knowledgeable member of this forum (I hope that I am posting this in the right place).

Any help would be appreciated!

Here are some photos:

s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

More than likely it is a WWII 1942-45, Logo with wooden pegs, if a magnet sticks to the frets, that indicates that they are stainless steel which were used during the war.
    It is still a great vintage Martin. I used to collect WWII Martins (same age as me) but have moved them all out with the exception of a Concert
    Last edited by PetalumaRescuke; 05-02-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    Could be a 1920 or 21 (last years of wooden pegs on Style 2s) with the regular fretboard extension. More likely due to the condition is that it is a WWII 1942-45, if a magnet sticks to the frets, that indicates that they are stainless steel which were used during the war.
    It is still a great vintage Martin. I used to collect WWII Martins (same age as me) but have moved them all out with the exception of a Concert
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Based on the very limited knowledge that I've acquired, I was thinking that it was a war time uke. The person that I purchased it from assured me that the nun (a relative of his) that originally purchased it insisted it was a 1924 model.

I'll try out the magnet when it arrives. That's a great indicator which I was not aware of.

Thanks very much for the input,

Ryan

regardless of date, it's a sweet uke! congratulations!
    Sopranos: Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    regardless of date, it's a sweet uke! congratulations!
    Thanks! I am hoping that it will be as sweet in person. I am a little bummed that it may not be from the 1920's as was stated by the seller, but I still can't wait to get it and start playing.

-Ryan

From what I know, the logo on the front of the headstock was done around 1932 and beyond. While wooden pegs were used in the 20's they are also found in the WW2 era instruments. Nonetheless, lovely instrument. Enjoy!

I believe that anything made prior to 1933 would have the Martin logo stamped on the back of the headstock
    Sopranos: Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    From what I know, the logo on the front of the headstock was done around 1932 and beyond. While wooden pegs were used in the 20's they are also found in the WW2 era instruments. Nonetheless, lovely instrument. Enjoy!
    I think I remember the Martin uke book stating that the first decal was done in '32 so I believe you are right.

Thanks,

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I believe that anything made prior to 1933 would have the Martin logo stamped on the back of the headstock
    I think you are correct.

Thanks,

Ryan

Very nice looking ukulele! You will enjoy it and it will sound wonderful! It looks in really good shape!
    -Timms Style 0 (2014),Timms Style 0 (2015)
    -Martin Style 2 Soprano (1948?), Martin Style 1 Centennial (2017), Martin Style 1 (1918)
    -Martin Style 1 Concert (1960s)
    -Anuenue 1879 Vision Soprano
    -D.H. ULO #3 Soprano (2016), D.H. ULO #11 Tenor (2016) Travel ukes!
    -Ohana SK 35GS (2015)
    -Kala Baritone (2018) KA-SBG

Thread Information