Question about tuners on my newly acquired Martin S2?

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have my first ukulele on its way to me and I have a few questions about its tuners.

First off, I am wondering what the correct name for these tuners is? Are they "violin tuners", "tension tuners", or maybe "friction tuners"?

Second, I purchased this as my first and only uke. Meant to be played. Did I make a mistake buying one with this type of tuners.

Lastly, if they end up not working to great, would it be sacrilegious to have a violin fit ebony violin pegs?

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Thanks for your time and input. It is much appreciated.

-Ryan

I checked the photos of the Martin 2Ms I've sold or gifted and that one has not passed through my hands. The wooden pegs used during WWII don't know if they are what is pictured. I've seen many different pegs on these Ukuleles. When fitted correctly, pegs work well, as in the previous thousand years or so.
Consider Pegheds as they can be an easy swap if the holes haven't been enlarged. They look just like wooden pegs and are 4-1 ratio.
I have an old case like yours, use it only for storage.

Hopefully, they'll work fine. If not, I'll check out the Pegheds. I remember looking into them a few years back for a fiddle that I had. But I ended up purchasing a similar product by a different company. I totally forgot that these things (Peghed type tuners) existed.

Thanks for your input!

-Ryan

I got a wartime Style 0 recently that had the ebony violin style pegs. I already had a set of Pegheads here in my stash, so I installed them, and they work and look great. As PetalumaRescuke above has said in the past, the wooden pegs are an acquired taste, some folks do just fine with them.

20190404_115523.jpg
20190403_204806.jpg

Last edited:
I got a wartime Style 0 recently that had the ebony violin style pegs. I already had a set of Pegheads here in my stash, so I installed them, and they work and look great. As PetalumaRescuke above has said in the past, the wooden pegs are an acquired taste, some folks do just fine with them.

View attachment 117594
View attachment 117595

Were the Pegheads the same taper as the originals?

-Ryan

Yeah, millions of orchestral string players have found this set up to work just fine.

I have a fiddle so I am aware of these types of pegs. I was just wondering how well they worked on a uke since uke strings seem to be quite a bit more elastic than violin strings.

I have a fiddle so I am aware of these types of pegs. I was just wondering how well they worked on a uke since uke strings seem to be quite a bit more elastic than violin strings.

As to the elasticity of uke strings, beware that that is only in the beginning, with new strings. Depending on the type of strings, how much you play and re-tune, etc., the strings will settle down and hardly stretch at all. If it were me, I'd give the uke a try for a month or so before replacing the pegs, especially if replacing them means having to alter the uke. You purchased a pristine uke it looks like and I'd be wary of altering anything that requires altering the uke itself.

As to the elasticity of uke strings, beware that that is only in the beginning, with new strings. Depending on the type of strings, how much you play and re-tune, etc., the strings will settle down and hardly stretch at all. If it were me, I'd give the uke a try for a month or so before replacing the pegs, especially if replacing them means having to alter the uke. You purchased a pristine uke it looks like and I'd be wary of altering anything that requires altering the uke itself.

I totally agree. I hate to modify vintage instruments.

Yeah, that is a great point. On many instruments I have found that I barely need to touch the tuners after the string settle. Many times it may be a hair low, but in tune with itself, so it would only matter if playing with others.

Top Bottom